VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i put the A/C on, my idle is rough, it bogs down below rpm's and then goes back to normal...it also does this (when the A/C is on) when im at a stop and I rev jus a little...after i give it a little rev, it bogs down then shoot right back up to normal rpm's...it feels like my car is about to stall...anyone know what the problm could be??? i also posted a thread about a faulty thermostat i had...could this be part of the problem, as well???
thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: idling very rough after the A/C is on... (nasacrugti)

To be on the safe side, when was the last time you changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap, & fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: idling very rough after the A/C is on... (midnight61)

my car has about 48,000 miles on it...you think i should change my plugs, cap, fuel filter, etc. soon??? or am i still ok??

·
Registered
216 Posts

Personally speaking, I always start with the plugs, rotor, and wires, etc... I just did mine over the weekend and it made a big difference. If they are original, I think it's just about time to change them. I got most of my parts at http://www.germanautoparts.com they have very good prices.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

If you only notice this when the AC is on , my first guess would be to check the belt. If its binding or slipping at all, that could definitly bog the engine down. I don't know how practical it is, but with older cars, you could take a belt off and if the problem went away, you had a better idea of what to do. Check your belts first. They are cheaper than plugs and wires for a 2.0 provided you do it yourself. Well, I hate to say it, but if the AC Compressor is binding, that could be part of the problem. I hope its not the compressor, but it does happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts

My 99 Jetta does the same thing, noticed it today, but if the A/C has been on for a while it goes away, or isn't as noticable. I'm gonna check the belt even though i am pretty sure it's in good shape, i have fresh plugs, wires and such, so i don't think that's the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: idling very rough after the A/C is on... (WolfsburgEdition99)

update, i turned on the A/C today, and it was idling rough, and at one point the rpm got so low it stalled the engine......could this be a problem with whatever controls the idle......the engine idles almost perfectly when the A/C is not on
(around 900rpm, the tach is almost dead still, maybe 40-50rpm variance), but when the A/C comes on it drops to around 800, and fluctuates between 600-900 and is rough......
Anyone know what is causing this problem.....i'm gonna have to take it in to the dealer this week, it's too hot to go without A/C for long.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Re: idling very rough after the A/C is on... (WolfsburgEdition99)

I'm having the same problem. Noticed it this week since it's the first time i've used the A?C in my car (only had it 6 months). I too think it has to do with my plugs/wires/cap/rotor and etc. So I'm doing a full tune up this weekend. If it doesn't work I'll check the belt like you suggested.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i'm having the same sorta problem, but mines jumping and fluxuating while i'm driving. does your car jump or buck when going through the gears with the ac on? my first thought was plugs n wires too but my car was tuned up just before i bought it (75k miles) and i've only put 10k miles on it. i posted about this yesterday but have'nt gotten any response yet, if you figure yours out, i'd like to hear the solution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts