VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (dayjayvw)

buy new one http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

You'd be an idiot if you didn't buy the 2001 and didn't save 5 grand.
Are you talking about a VR6 or a 1.8T?

·
Registered
7,433 Posts

5 g's is 5 g's but also consider what new [and longer] warranty is worth to you.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (Lexi)

Good point. I forgot about the change in the warranties on the newer models.
But now taking that into consideration, most people who are on this forum are going to mod their car anyway. Will you even need a warranty? If not, then don't pay for it.
I suppose it depends on if you plan to lightly or heavily mod your car.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (Lexi)

quote:[HR][/HR]5 g's is 5 g's but also consider what new [and longer] warranty is worth to you. [HR][/HR]​
You can get an extended warranty for a LOT less than $5k!!! Take the 2001 and put the money into suspension mods or the bank.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (JettaRed)

But then again, even with an aftermarket warranty, I am not sure that they would cover the repairs of a modded car more than a dealer would.
5000 $ depreciation is alot, like 25% in one year. It looks like a great deal to me.
J-F

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (Jetta_J)

It's got 30k on it.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (craig20v)

quote:[HR][/HR]if it has really low miles I'd go fer the 01, & 5k in mods
[HR][/HR]​

EXACTLY!!!! $5,000.00 in mods goes a looooong way!!!! Just think about it!! You could even get an APR Stage 3 and still have a grand left!!!!!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
....ooops.. didn't see see that last post... 30k miles ... now it's a little different story!! That's a lot for just a year old car.... - I take my opinion off.... but it's still your call... If it's all highway miles... but how the heck could you ever be sure of that??

[Modified by 1.8Trippin, 7:20 AM 2-14-2002]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (JettaRed)

quote:[HR][/HR]You can get an extended warranty for a LOT less than $5k!!! Take the 2001 and put the money into suspension mods or the bank.[HR][/HR]​
extended warranties are for suckers... I had one one a previous car and every time it needed service I had to haggle with the dealership to pay... always some reason why it wasn't covered "this time"
'02 models come with a 4 year which is pretty damn good for a base warranty... I'd say buy new.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (john-420)

So you really think that 30,000 is too much, even if I'm saving 25% of the value of the car?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (john-420)

Definately get the new one. 30k miles is alot. Not to mention the 2002 are faster and will be worth more come time to sell. The extra 5k will pay for itself in the longrun.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

well since I have considered the same, here is my opinion:
the 2002 have:
better seats (absolutely)
worse radio (in my opinion)
more HP (doesn't matter too much if you go with good mods)
nearly worthless extra warranty (if you plan to mod)
different colors available (if it matters)
better stock wheels (if it matters)
it is new and you are the first owner
less leeway for haggling price
bilstein shocks may not fit properly
the 2001:
don't have to pay for depreciation
lower monthly payment = more money for mods
lower car insurance
condition is questionable have it checked thoroughly
have to buy VW extended warranty (in case non-modded parts fail)
worse seats
better radio
different color choices (if it matters)
not the first owner, not new
better ability to haggle on price
bottom line....some things about the 2002 are better and some are not...which are the things that are most important to you? Saving money is always a good option in my book, but if you are dead set on indigo blue then you have to go with 2002....(for example)
there are some running changes that may be an issue as well: extra side curtain air bags, grippier cup holders, loss of rear cupholder(?), 2002 mods are not 100% finalized and available yet, hope that the 2002 has accounted for certain "known" defects, i.e. window regulator, gear grind, MAF etc.
make a list of all pros and cons, then make a list of what is most important to you and think long and hard

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (DiscoStu)

quote:[HR][/HR]Keep your MKIII, don't be silly
[HR][/HR]​
Actually he's got an MKII

·
Registered
4,984 Posts

Lots to consider here.
How long a loan are you looking to get? Assuming you get a loan, of course.
What kind of financing can you get for each car? Used cars usually have a higher interest rate. If there's a significant difference between interest rates and you are going for a long-term loan, much of the $5k difference could disappear.
Another question is how long do you plan to hold onto the car? If you think you'll get a new one in two or three years, it might make sense to lease the new one. Then you would have lower monthly payments.
If you plan to hold onto it for a while, and if you can get a good financing deal, then the used car makes more (financial) sense.
But since it has high miles for a relatively new car, get it checked out by a mechanic (clutch, especially). They should be able to tell you if it looks as if it was mostly highway miles or if it got used a lot around town.
Oopw -- one last thought. The used car is out of warrantee. Another consideration.

·
Registered
10,076 Posts

The car has 30K miles on it, that means you have no warranty past powertrain coverage. Even if you plan to mod a new car and compromise your powertrain coverage, you will still have coverage for things like window regulators, the A/C, electronics and just about every other part that is not powertrain or a wear item. If any of these things go wrong with the '01 model, you will not only have a car payment but repair bills also. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Re: If I buy a 2001 gti for 15k...am I an idiot for not buying a ... (VeeDubDriver)

if it's a 01 GTI 1.8 T, then get 02 model. new engine has 180hp, rather than the 01, 150 hp. VR6, wait for the 201hp coming out in a few months. plus, you have the relief of knowing you are the only driver of the car. avoid buying use, unless it's a really good offer and it checks out great...otherwise bite your time and save a little more money...it's worth it in the end.

·
Registered
272 Posts

It depends on how it was driven. I really wouldn't buy used unless you need to save serious money. I'm in the process of buying a '99 GTI. The only reason I'm doing it is that I can't do a new one right now (that's not exactly true, but it's close enough). It's certified, with a warantee, so I feel reasonably good about it, and it saves me $8-10K over what I'd buy new. When you get to $5K or less, I don't know if used is worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts