VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most left-field cars America has ever produced. Visually it's like something right in the Citroen and Panhard league. It had a mostly grille-less front end before it was cool. Well it's that striking front end design that was the most controversial aspect of it but I like how in-your-face weird it is. I bet many thought it's some European exotic at the time. If only it could come back as an EV or a hybrid.

·
Registered
22,846 Posts
The later Avanti IIs and 4 doors were weird abominations next to the Raymond Loewy classic. They weirded out the proportions to fit on GM platforms and engine combos, and cut a lot of corners as it bopped from different production facilities, ending up at the bastion of automotive production cities checks notes Youngstown Ohio*. The original was just gorgeous.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
4,135 Posts
I never knew there was a 4 door version.
I could have gone the rest of my life not knowing they did a 4 door version.🤮
Studebaker never made a four door version, but the right to the design and name was bought by a group of people after Studebaker folded. They started to make more variations of the model - like that four door and a cab.

·
Premium Member
Luft und Wasser
205 Posts
Funny the photo is in Palm Springs, I grew up out there and went to the same elementary school in the mid-80's as my father did. A longtime teacher or administrator had a pristine Avanti parked out front every single day, and even as a small child it would make me think of an earlier era, and the time my dad was a kid at that school. Of course at that age I didn't realize this car was considered kind of a style icon of its day, a daring showcase by a domestic automaker to flirt with European design. Or that it was well-known among the groovy upperclass Coachella Valley golf resort culture of the time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
One of the most left-field cars America has ever produced. Visually it's like something right in the Citroen and Panhard league. It had a mostly grille-less front end before it was cool. Well it's that striking front end design that was the most controversial aspect of it but I like how in-your-face weird it is. I bet many thought it's some European exotic at the time. If only it could come back as an EV or a hybrid.

would be a wonderful ev and look so modern

·
Registered
764 Posts
I absolutely love Avantis. Outside of a Champion Starlight Coupe, Kaiser Darrin, AC/ Shelby Cobra and Nash Metropolitan (which are technically British), and Panoz, it's one of the only American cars that I was ever really passionate about. Not surprised at all that the Avanti was designed by a Frenchman. Personally, I think that's why it failed. It was the right car from the wrong country.

People who wanted an American car, wanted an American car. I won't go into what the traditional American car is, but it certainly wasn't what the Avanti was. The very wealthy who normally bought European were not setting foot in a Studebaker dealer unless they were buying a Mercedes-Benz (Benzes were sold through Studebaker dealers in that time period).

Even today, I don't think people fully get the Avanti. For one thing, most people don't know from them, and if they do, they absolutely really love it, or absolutely really hate it. Those who love it (like me) love it for the ahead-of-its-time, avant garde oddball that it is. Those that hated it didn't give it a chance because it wasn't from a prestige-filled Euro brand, or because it didn't represent American excess or the blue-collar commoner. Am I complaining that it doesn't have a huge following? Not a bit. For a classic car that's relatively rare and unknown, decent ones don't seem to be terribly expensive, and that bodes well for me maybe owning one one day. I'd even settle for an Avanti II.

As for going electric, after seeing what the supposed revival of DMC has meant for an electric DeLorean, I'm highly doubtful they could make a car that looks even remotely like the Avanti that I know and love. Sure, the electric DeLorean looks great, but I'm pretty sure it's not stainless steel, and it isn't wedge-shaped, which are the defining characteristics of the DeLorean. I'm not sure an electric Avanti be any different. I have to say, though, I'm absolutely loving the EV revival of Hispano-Suiza.

That's .02 from a lover of French cars, and the owner of another weird-ass, though much-newer car--an Arteon.

·
Registered
22,846 Posts
The original concept 4-door Avanti was a little ungainly. Considering how quickly the production Avanti came together, and how hurt Studebaker was at the time, I'm sure it would have gotten a lot better.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I don't think the Avanti would come back as a 4 door ever. It would be best suited as a niche vehicle with flair. There is enough room for battery components and it could be pitched as 'the sporty ev coupe'.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
24,119 Posts
There's an old guy in the town over from me who daily drives an Avanti. Love seeing it.

Now if someone made one brand new and it was a 200+ mile EV, sign me up. I'd get one. Same with an electric E9.

·
Registered
2012 Fiat 500 Sport
135 Posts
The later Avanti IIs and 4 doors were weird abominations next to the Raymond Loewy classic. They weirded out the proportions to fit on GM platforms and engine combos, and cut a lot of corners as it bopped from different production facilities, ending up at the bastion of automotive production cities checks notes Youngstown Ohio*. The original was just gorgeous.
The later models rode on Mustang platforms - fox body and New Edge

1 - 19 of 19 Posts