VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that there is a counter that counts how many time your ECU has benflashed and revo and apr will make it up one, so when you would take it to a dealer and they notice a +1 that the noraml number that its supoosed to be they will know that something has been messed around wtih.. and right when something breaks later, they will know what to blame it on.. happened to my frin with his apr chip. They said they knew by the count but didnt tell him and yes he was flashed back to stock before the visit. Just a word of notice.. they will know sooner or later. also I am thinking about the GIAC chip, the dont count it up one and how big of a diff can I get.. if I install chip/exhast/intake.. (EVOMS), will I be able to keep with a magnum RT or 3.6 passat?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (PurpleB6Wagon)

Quote, originally posted by PurpleB6Wagon »
I heard that there is a counter that counts how many time your ECU has benflashed and revo and apr will make it up one, so when you would take it to a dealer and they notice a +1 that the noraml number that its supoosed to be they will know that something has been messed around wtih.. and right when something breaks later, they will know what to blame it on.. happened to my frin with his apr chip. They said they knew by the count but didnt tell him and yes he was flashed back to stock before the visit. Just a word of notice.. they will know sooner or later. also I am thinking about the GIAC chip, the dont count it up one and how big of a diff can I get.. if I install chip/exhast/intake.. (EVOMS), will I be able to keep with a magnum RT or 3.6 passat?

ooookkkaaaaayyyyy

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (magilson)

Quote, originally posted by magilson »

ooookkkaaaaayyyyy

lol

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (97jazzgti)

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (magilson)

Quote, originally posted by magilson »

ooookkkaaaaayyyyy

That's odd because this was the truth, but it was later addressed by the chippies in question.
If you have an early chip, you may want to contact your manu. If dealer service sees your counter as +1 and service records show no reflash, there might be some friction.
IIRC, each manu that had the problem in the past, has since corrected the mistake, but check with your chippie to be absolutely sure. We all hate dealer service voided warranty claims just as much as the next person. http://****************.com/smile/star.gif

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »

That's odd because this was the truth, but it was later addressed by the chippies in question.
If you have an early chip, you may want to contact your manu. If dealer service sees your counter as +1 and service records show no reflash, there might be some friction.
IIRC, each manu that had the problem in the past, has since corrected the mistake, but check with your chippie to be absolutely sure. We all hate dealer service voided warranty claims just as much as the next person. http://****************.com/smile/star.gif

no doubt, this can be found by using search. My comment was a reflection of the post itself. It seems some people lean a little too heavily on the whole stream-of-consciouness style on the Vortex. It's a little much.

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. ((mkV)Jetta2.0t)

^^^ That should be deleted.
Here's the counter:

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: ((mkV)Jetta2.0t)

Hahahha http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I think it's important that people understand the risks if this condition were discovered, and a warranty claim was attempted.
It could be bad, it could be huge out of pocket, or it could nothin'. Just something to be aware of, and something that a newbie to vortex might not just know the right words to "search" for.
http://****************.com/smile/star.gif

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Re: (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
Hahahha http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I think it's important that people understand the risks if this condition were discovered, and a warranty claim was attempted.
It could be bad, it could be huge out of pocket, or it could nothin'. Just something to be aware of, and something that a newbie to vortex might not just know the right words to "search" for.
http://****************.com/smile/star.gif

Enough play for today - I removed my earlier posts.
GIAC does not change the flash count?
APR and Revo do change the flash count?
Could this flash count also go up in number when the dealer flashes an updated program to the ECU?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (PurpleB6Wagon)

Quote, originally posted by PurpleB6Wagon »

Good info but if a dealer is voiding a warranty becuase of it they are kind of insane.
The flash counters are not perfect, my car from the factory came with like 5 attempts 2 successful. When doing normal work the number does not come up, not in a way that the dealer would know to check. Hell 99.9% of dealer techs would not even know a flash counter is present let alone how to check and see if its changed, I am saying this as both a dealer tech and a performance shop owner.
That being said having a chip does not directly void your warranty. I have not seen one legit instance were a warranty was voided due to a chip. I have heard of people claim but its more a dealer denying to do the repairs because of a chip. to actually void the warranty the regional rep must become involved, its really a resonably serious legal matter when it comes down to it, so when most dealers say its void it means with them not VW or audi since there was no action with VW or audi.
VW and Audi acknowledge and embrace chip tuning since it makes them gobs of money in new car sales by people who only buy them since you can modify them, without a big enthusiast followng both companies would be hurting. Their policy is not even to void warranties when it comes to chip tuning, rather only inform the customer that if damage can be proven to be related to the tuning then it will not be covered.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Re: ((mkV)Jetta2.0t)

Quote, originally posted by (mkV)Jetta2.0t »

APR and Revo do change the flash count?
Could this flash count also go up in number when the dealer flashes an updated program to the ECU?

REVO does not affect the flash count.
and yes it would change when the dealer does a flash. Another reason why the numbers are insignificant. Even though the dealer would have a record of another dealer doing a flash, they would not always pick up on it.. and like I said most dealer employees have no idea it exists.

Its not like there are meetings from Audi/VW for the techs to show them ways to detect if the car is chipped.. they actualy really never say a word.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ooollld news. and no revo doesnt affect flash count.

i went through hell w/ the dealer which was destined to void my warranty.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: (Boostin 6sp)

I can attest that APR resets the flash counter. I had my car flashed about 5 times I believe and it still reads "1". My B6 S4 also has it and read "0" prior to flashes and has been flashed twice and now reads "0".
This one is a B6 S4 but same premise on my FSI...
SAME ECU for each session...
Session 1 (stock)...

Session 2 (1st flash)

Session 3 (2nd flash)

cheers! mike

Modified by bhvrdr at 3:23 PM 10-31-2006

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: If you are worried about dealer problems and want a chip, get GIAC or suffer. (Plastique)

I have a Welsh Pembroke Corgi that looks just like yours. Actually I have two Corgis, one red & white and one Tri-color. Cool dogs!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts