VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: IF you get CEL when removing the cat, what will happen to the engine? (SkodaRS)

the CEL is just letting you know the emissions control is not working properly, this would be because the first and second O2 sensors are not getting the readings its expecting.
stu

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: IF you get CEL when removing the cat, what will happen to the engine? (Boostin20v)

When I took my cat off, my motor made insane power for 3-4 minutes and then blew up. I ended up totalling the car and buying a new one...Don't mess with your emissions control devices! The man is watching! LOL...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: IF you get CEL when removing the cat, what will happen to the engine? (Jasonhouse1.8t)

hmm.. that's sounds VERY strange.. is that a bad joke or are you telling the truth?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: IF you get CEL when removing the cat, what will happen to the engine? (Perfekt)

hehe.. ok.. got scared there a moment..
so.. if the CEL only is telling me that the emission system is down and not doing anything else.. I'm ripping it off... (the cat that is..
)

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Re: IF you get CEL when removing the cat, what will happen to the engine? (SkodaRS)

Back in the day, we used to think that removing the cat would affect the power output of the motor, ECU coming into play.
I don't think we had a clue. Only side effect will be the CE light. You will get a Cat Effeciency Low, Bank 1 fault, or something like that, but no negatives on engine performance.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

ive had mines off for about 4-5 thousand miles... and i havent had to clear the cel for about 3500 miles...

my car works fine... no cels for a while... and im loving the smell of emissions

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Re: IF you get CEL when removing the cat, what will happen to the engine? (a96bimmerm3)

i havent heard of any that work for our cars yet..
people have tried caspers with no luck.. especially since ours use 5 volt instead of 1 volt like others

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.