VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
7,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I finally sold my GTI today so now I am OFFICIALLy in the market for a TDI. I currently also own a Mercedes 240D Diesel so I am familiar with the diesel. I have heard some good and bad things about these cars but my main objective is economy and reliability. I will travel about 80 miles a day to work.
Let me know a little bit about this little amazing machine....
Thanks

·
Banned
4,566 Posts
Re: If you had to do it all over again would you get a TDI ?? (kamil)

I would but I'd get the VAGCOM EGR mod done ASAP. Plus I'd get a 2003 or older TDI before one of the new ones. I'm a bit leery of the PD TDI until the "bugs" are worked out.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kamil »

I finally sold my GTI today so now I am OFFICIALLy in the market for a TDI. I currently also own a Mercedes 240D Diesel so I am familiar with the diesel. I have heard some good and bad things about these cars but my main objective is economy and reliability. I will travel about 80 miles a day to work.

TDI would be the only VW I would consider. The gasoline VWs are rather thirsty.
In the CARB states (where no new TDIs are available), if I wanted a new car, I'd pick a Focus, Matrix / Vibe, or Prius over a gasoline VW. Unfortunately, used TDI availability and selection is poor in the CARB states.
Choose a manual transmission if fuel economy is highly important. TDI engines combined with manual transmissions are great highway cars, with excellent fuel economy (hybrids like the Prius are mostly optimized for city or traffic jam driving, though the Prius' real world highway fuel economy isn't bad). Although the horsepower rating seems low, the low rpm torque of the TDI engine means that much of it is available at highway cruising speed, so downshifting for hills or passing is less necessary than with many other cars.
Unfortunately, VW reliability isn't the best, though the infamous window regulators are fixed, and TDI engines don't have coil packs to fail. But weird electrical problems do happen.
http://forums.tdiclub.com may be helpful.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Re: If you had to do it all over again would you get a TDI ?? (tjl)

Saying "If i had to do it all again" is hard because the cars now available were not out yet. At that point in time, I was looking for MPG's, and a decent car.. I found that in a TDI, but I also found minor annoyances and a sometimes recalcitrant dealer.
I hate to admit it, but if I was doing it in 2004, I i think that I would be picking up a new Prius for day to day stuff, and maybe a Mk2 GTI as my fun weekend car.
The main thing is that I don't buy used if possible, and the MPG's of the 2004 PD engines are not high enough to make the extra hassle worth it. After these 4 years, I want something that is fun to wind up w/out having to be chipped..
I love my car and all, but until the higher spec TDI engines come over, I will be keeping the one I have. If this goes 'POP' (and is not repaired under warranty), it will not be replaced with a VW.
If I didn't choose a Prius, the list of potentials would include Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Honda Civic 2litre, Nissan Sentra, or a Hyundai Tiburon. I'm obviously quite fond of my Hot (well, warm) hatches..

·
Registered
408 Posts

Would I do it all over again? Yes, without a moments hesitation if it were a 2002 or 2003 with the 1.9 TDi engine and not the PD TDi.
I realize that the newer engine is quieter and feels more powerful than the version it replaced, but I'd prefer that it be on the road here in the U.S. for 6 mos. to a year before I felt comfortable buying one.
Also, I don't understand why a moderate increase in torque and horsepower required a drop in mpg. I know that logic says more horsepower and performance means fewer mpg, but other manufacturers can increase horsepower with their gas engines and maintain or even improve mpg.
With my 2002 Jetta TDi I feel like I have the best of both worlds, a great intercooled & turbocharged 1.9 litre diesel engine without the new PD restrictions. I'm still not happy about VW's requirement of using their oil to maintain warranty coverage. I like being able to choose how to maintain my own vehicle when it comes to quality fluids, etc.
Bottom line, I would do it all over again. Once we have low-sulfur diesel readily available across the U.S. I suspect things will change in regard to diesel powered vehicles available. Hopefully VW will see continued success in the U.S. market with addition of the diesel-powered Phaeton, Touareg and Passat. May memories of the 80's GM diesel cars continue to fade and U.S. residents learn all the benefits of diesel engines.

·
Registered
26,536 Posts

I would definitely do it again.
I have only had the car a week and if I could roll back 3 years to when I purchased my previous car I would have chose a TDI back then instead of the 2.0 I bought.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

If I had it to do again I probably end up in exactly the same car. I love my TDI and it really has noting to do with the economy. I like the smell, the feel, the sound of a sub 2l diesel in a car small enough to be laughable on the highway (at least compared to all the SUVs). I like having the agility of a honda civic with the efficiency of a hybrid. I like the ability to push my engine to 150+hp with tq through the roof (and believe me I'll get there). I like knowing that even with 40k miles+ a year I'll still have an agile fresh engine the day I make the last payment.
Fast forwarding things to today I think I would end up with a used TDI since I happen to live in a CARB state (come to think of it, I live in THE CARB state) and I'm not inclined to jump hoops to get one out of state. Were the new PD available here I would be inclined to take a look at the Passat. I like the idea of a 130hp PD available from the factory (with the PDs chipping ability that could be real power with not much dough) but I'm not sure if I'm a strict sell on the larger chassis (I want a smaller car for commuting - it makes the driving more fun and less work, and I definetly wouldn't buy an automatic on VWs diesel. Judging strictly from the '03 auto TDIs, manual transmission is the only option for me. So I guess in the end I'd settle for a 100hp PD if it were readily available.
It's not so much VW as it is diesel. I love my car, and I'll definetly never go back to gas - but if diesel passenger cars are offered by other manufacturers in the US (specifically BMW....but maybe Toyota) I'm definetly not brand loyal.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

Not only would I buy it again, if I would have known what it's all about I would've bought one ten years ago! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, definatly! For everything you get for the price you cant go wrong. New hybrids are interesting but in my opinion they look rather lame...but as you said, you will be traveling 80 miles a day, then the TDI is a great choice....i get around 45 mpg on the highway with my automatic golf and i usually cruise around 75-80.....good luck finding one though....only way you will get one is if you are willing to travel a little bit and look on the internet for them.....i had to travel 8 hours to get mine
and now with gas prices going up they are becoming even more popular and harder to get....sellin real fast...but good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
NO!

After all the cah and nerves I had to invest in mine, I'd say: go for the japanese! Honda's recently presented a great diesel engine (140bhp), and is rock-solid. As well as, say, Mazda6 or any other japanese mid-class sedan.
I've had enough of Faultswagen!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Re: If you had to do it all over again would you get a TDI ?? (Godlike)

Quote, originally posted by Godlike »
The main thing is that I don't buy used if possible

This is an interesting statement to make.
I don't buy new if possible, and the reasons follow:
New cars have bugs and warrantys, let the first buyer take it to the shop
New cars are pricey and devalue quickly
Used cars can be had for disproportionally less money than new ones.
A proper inspection will reveal most problems areas on a used car.
New cars are clean, hard to spot anything (until you get it home).
Used cars are available in mint condition, or if dirty, you can buy the very cheaply.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Nope.
Until VW get's its' act together concerning quality it will stay off my list for new or used cars in the future.
It has cost too much to keep our Golf on the road but since it is paid for it will have to stick around for another few years to earn its' keep by saving on the fuel bills.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kamil »
Hey,
I finally sold my GTI today

I'ld be making one (GTD), and if possible, a 4motion 6 spd GTD, they make nice rally and ski cars. You will need to get a drive-train from europe, and that will cost you a few bones ~$5k USD
Today I am driving an '85 GTD, tho IDI not TDI, It is quite nice, fun, fast, unique, and cheap and easy to make. Also cheap to operate.

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
Re: If you had to do it all over again would you get a TDI ?? (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

TDI would be the only VW I would consider. The gasoline VWs are rather thirsty.
In the CARB states (where no new TDIs are available), if I wanted a new car, I'd pick a Focus, Matrix / Vibe, or Prius over a gasoline VW. Unfortunately, used TDI availability and selection is poor in the CARB states.
I agree completely.
Funny thing is the two other cars I was looking at before buying my TDI was the Focus SVT and the Matrix XRS.
So far, after 8 months and 17,000 miles I am very happy with my TDI

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
Re: NO! (Pumpeduese)

Quote, originally posted by Pumpeduese »
After all the cah and nerves I had to invest in mine, I'd say: go for the japanese! Honda's recently presented a great diesel engine (140bhp), and is rock-solid. As well as, say, Mazda6 or any other japanese mid-class sedan.
I've had enough of Faultswagen!
Too bad none of the Japanese companies (or any company other than VW and now DiamlerChrysler) offer a diesel passanger car in the United States right now

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.