VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my car has a VR6, fine. However there isn't one insurance company here in ontario that will insure a 1985 Jetta with a VR6 engine in it. If i lie to my insurance company, and just happen to kill someone who jumps infront of my car, or anything major, i'm obviously denied liability when they investigate.
So as you would know, i found it relatively easy to find someone who wants to swap in a restored 8valve engine and tranny into this Jetta in turn for my VR6 motor and Tranny, for free (well he's going to absorb the install costs).
I love the car, but can't help thinking: What have i done?
pluses: i'd save on gas, and uhh.... headache free insurance (always nice), and i get to drive a car with a very "euro" displacement... about 1.8 litres?

could i get some input from some vortexers as to what i should do? or if is this really THAT bad?

People have been replying to this post fer a bit now, just fyi the engine is going to stay in the car and i'm keeping the car

Found a company to insure it legit, and in the mean time just going to get some minor things sorted before it goes on the road
Modified by mushroom_curry at 1:43 AM 5-20-2004

Modified by mushroom_curry at 3:59 AM 6-2-2004

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Re: if you had to go VR6 for 8Valve (mushroom_curry)

if you really feel the need to get rid of the VR6 i'd at least swap it for a 16V, but there are alot of mods for 8V's too if that's what you prefer.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: if you had to go VR6 for 8Valve (A2GTI_8V)

i decided 8valve because the 85 Mk2's came from the factory with em. Did they also come with 16valves in that year?
i was thinking i'd go ahead and turbo it eventually or something along those lines, because im only 17, and theres 1 modified insurance company i finally found, but they require 10 years of driving experience. If i do find one that works then yeah i'd go forced induction.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

you could swap all of the vin numbers from a car that had a VR6. I doubt that the insurance companies know the difference between a MK2 and a MK3 Jetta...

·
Registered
3,272 Posts

Just say it's a 1985 Jetta, period. No other details need to be given, I would imagine. Now, if you are trying to insure it for what it's worth versus just the Blue Book value (I forget what that's called, it was a long day at work) then that's a different story.
Also, consider that if you do put an 8-valve in there and turbocharge it, you are looking at the same set of problems as the VR6 if you total it or kill someone or whatever since the engine didn't have the turbo to begin with...

·
Registered
10,311 Posts

if you dont have comp insurance there will be no investigation on your car...
besides what difference does the engine make for operator error?

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Re: if you had to go VR6 for 8Valve (ghostrider)

btw you cant insure your car as a vr6 here in the states anyways unless you re-register it and it goes through your state inspection for the specs on the engine installed.
atleast thats washington state law.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts

last note.... you should really consider just getting a different car if the vr6 is that much of a problem....
you're getting RIPPED if you just give someone your vr swap for their 8v.... even if they do the work..

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i'm not getting comprehensive, just liability. Regardless if someone sues they'l investigate.
The turbo issue on the other hand is just something i would do down the road once i have "10 years driving experience" and qualify for modified car insurance
and yes, just because its a vr6 doesn't mean im more likely to run someone over, pretty bull if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

Those laws are bull****, but either way... DO NOT just do a straight up trae for an 8v!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Re: if you had to go VR6 for 8Valve (Unit00)

Quote, originally posted by Unit00 »
um.. just lie to the company and don't run over anyone.

ya, what are the chances you would hit someone?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Re: if you had to go VR6 for 8Valve (vwdr1ver)

if your getting rid of the vr6 atleast go with a g60 or a 16v, but as said before the engine shouldn't matter if your just getting liability.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts

If you have a restored 8v it might not be that bad. I have a '91 8v with really low miles in really good condition. The car is so light that the low hp isn't too bad of an issue, you'll be able to keep up with MUCH newer stock Accords and Civics. I like my 8v, it's very smooth and a lot peppier than people here make it out to be. But yeah, I'd want the 16v before an 8v if I had the choice...but they DIDN'T make a 16v in 1985...it didn't come out untill like '88 or '89 I think...not sure which year, but I KNOW for certain that the early MKII GLI's didn't have the 16v.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Re: if you had to go VR6 for 8Valve (mediumbluemetalic)

dude lets be foreal AN 8 VALVE come on why downgrade when your upgraded dont make sense f**k the insurance company they dont care they just want your money. just becareful and look where you going and don hit no pedestrians http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Wow, good game.
You spend your life's savings on that car probably 2 weeks ago, and now you're talking about tearing out the VR and going 8v because of insurance?
Are you an idiot? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Either lie, or if you can't stomach that sell the car and get a Tercel or something.

There has to be other people in Ontario running mk2 vr6's. What are they doing?

Modified by batteredA2 at 4:52 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (89Deuce)

lie to the insurance company......say its an 8v and you insured it as one, but if you get into a car accident just make sure you tell them that the VR swap was done After you insured it and get some one to write you a recipt for the engine and labour so your covered if its a total loss, and see if you can get a Private appraiser to determine a set value for your car...... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif good luck....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Re: (blue_16v)

heya!
seen your car a coupla times around TO. sweet ride man. all u americans tellin him that hes an idiot should ****. u guys donno how bad we got it here with the ins. they r just sittin there waitin for u to admit that u have an aftermarket suspention installed by some other shop rather than a dealership. go checkout canadian forum here. we got a sticky thread regarding insurane for modified cars.some ppl do have trouble gettin insurance for their dubz. if live somwhere in alabama and u pay $50/month full coverage for your r32 with 20g's worth of mods then fkn good for u! insurance in ontario is a fkn mafia that'd do anything just to *** u up zee arse. my insurance went up this year for no reason and my corrado is now for sale.no matter how much fun it is i dont want to work just so i can have a car.
man,just play stupid or something,say u got a car but the engine blew and u got it replaced with a newer motor and u dont know what it is or something. whatever. oh yeah,sigarettes and alcohol prices went up yesterday in ontario again,im not even talking gas prices. *** it. ontario gvmnt blows.i should have actually voted! ok,sorry,im just pissed. time to move back to europe.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Re: (CrankWorkOrange)

Quote, originally posted by CrankWorkOrange »
heya!
. *** it. ontario gvmnt blows.i should have actually voted! ok,sorry,im just pissed. time to move back to europe.

Be grateful you dont have the Dubya as a leader.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts