VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was speaking to a guy at a custom car audio store and he said that if i change the head it wont sound good with the stock speakers and amp because the ohms are different....anyone who knows what they are talking about let me know if this guy is right......

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Re: If you have installed a new head unit in your 337..... (feenievw)

You'll be fine.
Yes, the speakers are different ohms than standard car stero speakers.
However, it doesn't matter because the monsoon amplifier will take care of everything. All you head unit will do is supply better quality signal to the monsoon...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: If you have installed a new head unit in your 337..... (S4irish)

can anyone clarify this....can i bypass the amp with a 19 - 22 watt RMS head with 50X4 and get better sound then running it to the amp??

·
Registered
4,449 Posts

I dont think bypassing the Monsoon amp and keeping the Monsoon speakers is what you want to do... It will be a P.I.T.A. There are lots of posts in the audio forum on this topic. The problem is the Monsoon amp is also a crossover network. So there are high frequency and low frequency outputs to each corner of the car. This is why people with Monsoons are confused when they go to put aftermarket speakers and there is a separate wires to the woofer and one to the tweeter. There are actually 8 outputs from the Monsoon amp. (According to the manual 4x20 high freq, 2x20 mid, and 2x30 sub)
Basically most people seem to be doing one of two things:
1) replace the HU with a HU that will interface well with the Monsoon amp. (There is all sorts of debate about high wattage ones overdriving the Monsoon amp and MOSFET output HUs not working well, Ill leave that to the experts in the car audio forum. Look over there, many threads)
2) Replace the HU and chuck the Monsoon amp and replace the speakers with the common component 2 way speakers with a passive crossover. That way the speakers will be properly crossed over because the stock Monsoon speaker crosover is done in the amp like I said above.
Personally I will probably try #1 first and hook up a sub woofer and separate amp for it in addition to the Monsoon speakers and amp. If it sounds like POO ill save some money and replace all the speakers with Bostons and chuck the Monsoon amp.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

I would do option (1) above. Buy the new headunit you like and have them install it.
Personally, I am in the midst of doing option (2). I am going to gut the monsoon system and re-wire from scratch. Complicated? Yes. Time Consuming? Yes. Worth it? 100%.

·
Banned
5,977 Posts
Re: If you have installed a new head unit in your 337..... (GTIdaho)

quote:[HR][/HR]I dont think bypassing the Monsoon amp and keeping the Monsoon speakers is what you want to do... It will be a P.I.T.A. There are lots of posts in the audio forum on this topic. The problem is the Monsoon amp is also a crossover network. So there are high frequency and low frequency outputs to each corner of the car. This is why people with Monsoons are confused when they go to put aftermarket speakers and there is a separate wires to the woofer and one to the tweeter. There are actually 8 outputs from the Monsoon amp. (According to the manual 4x20 high freq, 2x20 mid, and 2x30 sub)
1) replace the HU with a HU that will interface well with the Monsoon amp. (There is all sorts of debate about high wattage ones overdriving the Monsoon amp and MOSFET output HUs not working well, Ill leave that to the experts in the car audio forum. Look over there, many threads)
2) Replace the HU and chuck the Monsoon amp and replace the speakers with the common component 2 way speakers with a passive crossover. That way the speakers will be properly crossed over because the stock Monsoon speaker crosover is done in the amp like I said above.
Personally I will probably try #1 first and hook up a sub woofer and separate amp for it in addition to the Monsoon speakers and amp. If it sounds like POO ill save some money and replace all the speakers with Bostons and chuck the Monsoon amp.
[HR][/HR]​
Have fun replacing those monsoon speakers, they're riveted into place. Damn monsoon/VW

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
Re: If you have installed a new head unit in your 337..... (Mindflux)

Its not that difficult. What you can do is buy the $50 Kicker passive crossovers for their speakers and install them.. they'll work perfectly for this application. I've been running like that for 2 months now. Gutted the monsoon and threw those passives in there. Its VERY easy. Heck I'm even powering the speakers with an Arc Audio 4150 (150x4) and its not even overdriving the stock speakers. Its not as hard as everyone thinks.
quote:[HR][/HR]I dont think bypassing the Monsoon amp and keeping the Monsoon speakers is what you want to do... It will be a P.I.T.A. There are lots of posts in the audio forum on this topic. The problem is the Monsoon amp is also a crossover network. So there are high frequency and low frequency outputs to each corner of the car. This is why people with Monsoons are confused when they go to put aftermarket speakers and there is a separate wires to the woofer and one to the tweeter. There are actually 8 outputs from the Monsoon amp. (According to the manual 4x20 high freq, 2x20 mid, and 2x30 sub)

Have fun replacing those monsoon speakers, they're riveted into place. Damn monsoon/VW
[HR][/HR]​

[Modified by zerind, 4:26 PM 8-9-2002]

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Re: If you have installed a new head unit in your 337..... (zerind)

My Monsoon is bypassed. Spiced wires together at the amp and installed the HU. Alpine CDA7893: RMS 4x26 Max 4x60. Sounds better than stock and have no issues whatsoever. Cut out the hole entire monsoon, it sux!

·
Registered
194 Posts

I replaced my Monsoon about 1 week after having the car. I put in my Kenwood MP3 player. The stock Monsoon amp wants semi-speaker level from the HU so most any aftermarket HU will work. When I say semi-speaker level it's higher than line level (RCA style) and less than or equal to speaker level. Much discussion in Car Electronics but my system is working fine for 2 months now. Even made the antenna amp mod myself and I get great FM and AM! When search comes back check out that forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.