VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Interestingly, there are many complaints on the other board and about 14 complaints to NHTSA.

Does anyone here have this issue or are VWVortex'ers immune?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Somewhat odd. The NHTSA complaints are actually 20 though. 15 are listed under the GTI, but an additional 5 (that are GTIs, just filed over Golf) are under the 2019 Golf model. So 20 total so far. Most are from the GolfMK7 and Reddit posts on the stalling problem.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somewhat odd. The NHTSA complaints are actually 20 though. 15 are listed under the GTI, but an additional 5 (that are GTIs, just filed over Golf) are under the 2019 Golf model. So 20 total so far. Most are from the GolfMK7 and Reddit posts on the stalling problem.
NHTSA has two listing for this - Golf GTI 4door and GTI. Yeah, both together total about 20 complaints to date.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had this issue, they scanned my car and saw it was partially still in transport mode. They put it back into transport mode and then removed it. I have not stalled since and it happened 8 times in 6 days of taking delivery which was ~300 miles and I am just shy of 1200 now. I opened a ticket with VW so it was documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had this issue, they scanned my car and saw it was partially still in transport mode. They put it back into transport mode and then removed it. I have not stalled since and it happened 8 times in 6 days of taking delivery which was ~300 miles and I am just shy of 1200 now. I opened a ticket with VW so it was documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to post this in the other thread but it says I don’t have permission. So I guess this is where that information will stay unless someone that has permission wants to copy pasta.
Thanks. I linked this, there - or there, this - or something like that

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another data point

Granted, this is my son's new car, thought I'd share with my VWVortex brothers as I had experienced the problem firsthand....I am coming from 30 years of driving manual cars and years of 2001 A4 ownership and modding, 2013 GTI, 2002 911 turbo and 2016 Cayman GTS - I know German cars and manual transmissions.

Never seen something like this. Son bought the car brand new March 31, 2019. New 2019 GTI S manual, driver assistance pkg. 9 miles on the odometer when purchased.
After the first few days of ownership he notice a stall at very low speeds / when stopped. He dealt with it for about 1.5 weeks then brought it into the dealer for service. He kept a log of all conditions / events...maybe 20 stalls in the 2 weeks of ownership. Always low speeds, did not matter if clutch in or out, in neutral or first gear.

Service was able to recreate the problem. They replaced a few sensors - still stalled for them.
They called in a regional VW tech, moved wires around and thought that improved the condition, so they replaced the entire engine harness system.

Said, the car is fixed - come pick it up....just my son and I go out
We do a test drive in a mall parking lot, all slow speeds tons of stop-start...maybe 50-75 start-stops, took about 15 minutes of driving and the car stalled. We bring it back, tell them it still stalls. They say to open a buyback case with VW Corporate as there is nothing else they can try. We do that.

Corporate goes thru the data for a few days then tells us that the technicans report said that the wiring harness replacement fixed the issue and the stall did not occur for the technician (But it did for us!) - so go pick up the car. WTF.

OK, I go there, as my son had to work. Go on a test drive with a technician. Same route, same test drive, after about 15 minutes, low speeds, coming to a stop - stall. Now they have proof. We start driving back to the dealership, it stalls again, and again, and again, and again - all low to no speed. Sometimes clutch in, sometimes out, sometimes in first gear, sometime neutral.

We go thru Corporate again to tell them of the technician seeing the problem - please keep processing the buyback case.

2 days later, the dealership calls to say that they had a software technician instruct them on how to apply a software fix (ECU) to adjust the engine camshaft angle tolerance. They claim he has seen it before and is writing code for a future recall-update (may take up to a year). VW service applied as he instructed, then did a Throttle Body Alignment. Then did a 70 mile test drive, no stalls for them.

They tell us to come pickup the car - it is fixed (again)...they even washed it for us to take home.

Test drive first...same route, same many start/stop driving...once again after about 15 minutes of this, the car stalls. We head back - it stalls 2 more times.

Hopefully now they do not try another Hail Mary and force us to prove again and again that their fixes are not working.
Waiting on a buyback. Dealer has put 350 miles on the car and surely has alot invested in this thing. Nothing really bad to say about the dealer or service, nice of them to work with us to go on the test drives so we don't blindly take a 'fixed' only to have it stall for us.

To me, this is a real safety issue. Very easy to get rear ended as you unexpectedly stall. Currently only at low speeds - but what if it ever happens at 60mph?

Not sure if I feel comfortable recommending another GTI to my son. Why only a few cars having this problem? It is like Russian Routette.

Funny thing was, as I got into my rock solid Cayman - I was worried that I might stall when I came to a stop! haha

Hope this scenario helps anyone else experiencing the problem. Highway and higher speed test drives did not show the problem for us - only lots of continuous start and stop driving.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It sounds as though some dealers going the path of replacing the camshaft are solving it that way. Everything is centering around the intake camshaft though. Swapping it, messing with the actuator... the crazy part is the camshaft is the same one that has been used for years. Something about the 2019 GTI has changed just enough that it’s causing it to lock up. 2019 did bring a new 0w20 oil spec, but the 2018 Passat and Tiguan have that and no stalling problems.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Is this stalling only happening to Rabbit with manual transmission?

What is the difference between the GTI and Rabbit that only the Rabbit
is stalling?

I have a GTI S and never stalls, but it is a DSG.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this stalling only happening to Rabbit with manual transmission?

What is the difference between the GTI and Rabbit that only the Rabbit
is stalling?

I have a GTI S and never stalls, but it is a DSG.
My sons is a 2019 GTI S, manual.

So no correlation (yet) as to why only a select few are affected. Does not appear to be unique to GTI S or Rabbit or SE or Autobahn flavors <or car color - that is just ridiculous>.

Could be all coming from the same build period (ie some technician did something wrong on x vehicles), a batch of select components (maybe a suppliers camshafts or other component/sensor are the root of the issues). This is all theory, of course until a root cause and fix is determined looking at all the data reported. VW is in the best position to put the puzzle pieces together.

For anyone getting 'stuck' with one of these vehicles, I really feel bad for them as it is truly a safety issue. If you cannot recreate the problem in front of a tech - you will be forced to take the unsafe car back (we were strong armed by VW 3x to take the car back immediately as they claimed the techs solved the issue - only to prove on 3 separate test drives - with them in the car, that it was not fixed). Their test drive was surely normal driving highway, backroads and some stop and go...whereas our test that always recreated the stalling was about 15 minutes at low speeds and many many many starts and stops (I'd guess at 50-75).

Initial searches by techs of VWs databases returned zero similar issues (that is really concerning). Only after 12 days in the shop and 3 fixes attempted, and after a regional rep got involved, did they magically state that a software coder was looking into a fix, they have seen it before (but his fix did not work either!). Really concerning.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Two members on GolfMK7 had their intake camshafts replaced entirely. Did you ever approach the dealership about that or hear them ask about going that route?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Two members on GolfMK7 had their intake camshafts replaced entirely. Did you ever approach the dealership about that or hear them ask about going that route?
Nope - end of the day...their techs are the experts - I'm not going to play doctor for them, now that we are close to a buyback.
If they can't get their stuff together, buy the car back - do what they want with it and put me in a new, problem free one.

If I had no warrantee or it was earlier in the process, I would have brought this up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ha. I just picked up my 6MT Rabbit on Tuesday and driving home yesterday, stopped at the lights and then realized the car was off. no jolt or anything, just very quiet, off. I was so sure I depressed the clutch completely (always had manual vehicles) and I just put it down to a new car.. although my 2015 GTi was obviously similar in driving position, etc.
*edit* - i'll check for the Transport mode setting tonight, see what mine says.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ha. I just picked up my 6MT Rabbit on Tuesday and driving home yesterday, stopped at the lights and then realized the car was off. no jolt or anything, just very quiet, off. I was so sure I depressed the clutch completely (always had manual vehicles) and I just put it down to a new car.. although my 2015 GTi was obviously similar in driving position, etc.
*edit* - i'll check for the Transport mode setting tonight, see what mine says.
Yup - that is how it feels. It is as if the vehicle has auto start/stop - but these cars do not.

Please try replicating by doing my suggested test drive process. No car should be randomly stalling like this - it can be a very dangerous situation.

If you can replicate it...get to a dealer and make sure a tech goes with you every time on a similar test drive to observe the problem - otherwise it is just your word, which means nothing in these situations. The dealer NEVER did a test drive like me and my son did, even after we told them and showed the conditions to replicate it. They only believed us when demanded that a tech goes with us and we replicated it for them.

·
Premium Member
2021 S60 T8R
3,189 Posts
2019 Rabbit stalling

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue, and if you were able to find a solution.
My car is DSG and has 700 miles on it. Today it stalled when I was coming up to a light and had to be manually restarted. After that, no issue. Scanned it with VCDS, no codes. In central electronics its still in transport mode, but I can't change that because it needs a security code, which I don't have, nor does it prompt me to enter one. I've heard that may be the issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Danny

1 - 20 of 235 Posts