VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Still waiting for the Canadian release of the service action. Will let you know once its installed if I notice a big difference. They are hoping early in the new year they are certified to release it.

'19 GTI Autobahn 6MT - Dark Iron Blue
Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Again, it's not Subaru terrible, it just isn't as smooth as my 2018.

I thinks it's time for a protune for me anyways. Mine isn't stalling and I doubt VW will do much beyond this reflash.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to see there's a TSB for this. My 19' 6spd GTI stalled on me within 10min of picking it up (while clutched in and coasting to a stop light). I went for a fill-up later that night with 93 octane (3/5 cars I've owned 'recommend' it, so already numb to paying for it) and haven't had a reoccurrence since.

From 10mi to now almost 1800 mi, has been smooth sailing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Got the flash done yesterday when I took it for service. Seems the same for me but did not have the stall issue.

Also owned a 2018 and it felt the same as my 2019 which differs from others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a manual 2019 Golf and am experiencing stalling and almost stalls when trying to back into my driveway or any up hill from 1st gear.

I have been driving a manual 2000 golf diesel for the past 19yrs, so I feel confident in my ability to drive manual. It's been 6 months with my 2019 and I'm still having intermitent trouble.

Dealer wasn't able to recreate so I'll be test driving with the mechanic in the car.

Could this be the same issue even though the fix is for GTI?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Clearly there is a lot of speculation as to what is causing the 2019 manual transmission (but not the DSG) GTIs and GLIs to have a low-rpm stalling issue. As reflected above, VoA has now issued a TSB -- that directs re-coding the engine control unit ["ECU"]) -- to address the problem. I don't doubt for a moment that VoA and VW AG have put a lot of effort into correcting the problem (likely motivated, in part, by the looming prospect of class-action lawsuits and the like).

Reflashing the ECU may do the trick. (Essentially, the re-coding "tells" the fuel pump and ignition systems that the engine is not being turned off and to continue running at the reduced engine rpm.) This fix, IMHO, is a work-around. A reasonably sophisticated one, but a work-around nonetheless. It (again, IMHO) is motived by VW AG's desire to enable the EA888 engine to perform satisfactorily on 0W-20 weight motor oil, despite the fact that the engine was designed and engineered to use a heavier-weight motor oil (0W-40 or 5W-40). And, in this regard -- for those who are only now being introduced to this issue -- the device that is most immediately affected by engine oil pressure is the variable valve timing solenoid. Depending on the oil pressure through the value, an electrical signal is sent to the ECU. Just as oil pressure would cease when the engine is turn off using the ignition key, the same electrical signal is sent to the ECU when the engine rpm falls to and below a normal idle speed. In other words, when the oil pressure falls precipitously, the ECU turns the engine off, just as if it had been done with the ignition key.

So, what's a better "fix"? Obviously, maintain "normal" idle oil pressure. It's just that simple. How can that be done? That too is simple enough: Use the oil weight previously specified for the EA888 engine before VW AG went on its most recent quest for increased fuel economy. I.e., 0W-40 weight oil (Castrol 0W-40 would my choice), or Mobil 1 0W-40, macht nichts).

Footnote, of sorts: You should know that neither VoA nor VW AG can official advise 2019 GTI/GLI owners to return to the oil weight previously specified. Why, you ask? Because the vehicles were certified to the NHTSA and the EPA as emissions compliant with 0W-20 weight oil. To change the oil specification to 0W-40, VW AG would be required to re-perform the certifications testing. That testing would cost millions. Literally. So, the work-around "fix" is the one now being authorized: re-coding the ECU. This may work. Then again, it may not. But, once again IMHO, there is no free lunch. The re-coding may solve one problem and create others. We will know as more owners have their cars "fixed" in the matter chosen by VA AG.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would say a lot of speculation. Some definitely makes sense like a change in oil weight being a root cause certainly seems likely. That being the same as an electrical off signal..... I don’t think I buy that as that’s not quite how that works. However, low oil pressure causing an issue in the valve train which uses oil pressure can create a stall situation. A ECU fix to prevent that pre condition I believe is a fix. Some random person on the internet saying they the ONLY correct solution is to revert to a different oil weight and anything else is a work around seems ridiculous. None of us actually have as much info on what is going on here as VW does.

Also if low oil pressure turns off the engine. Why doesn’t that happen with a DSG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
James Steed
12,116 Posts
In other words, when the oil pressure falls precipitously, the ECU turns the engine off, just as if it had been done with the ignition key.
If this was true then there would never be any engine failures from oil loss. Which there has been. There are a few people that have lost their engine from hitting the oil pan and never turned the car off soon enough.

So again as others have said it's speculation. If oil viscosity was the real issue then all 2019's would have this issue, not just a random amount, since that was the change over year.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You're right, of course. I am speculating. And I said as much with my repeated use of the parenthetical "IMHO." I'd like to think it's informed speculation, but 'tis speculation nonetheless.

So, tell you what: How about we diary this ahead six months or so, and see if VoA has come up with a workable solution? I'm suggesting that because I don't have a dog in the fight. If I did, and were I waiting to get in the queue for the ECU update, I'd certainly change motor oil and see what comes of it. The EA888 runs fine on 0W-40 weight motor oil. Exceptionally well, in fact. Has for years. But, of course, you know that already.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
The VW Service Campaign appears to have resolved this issue. I know of only one owner who has had a stalling issue after applying the fix and that may have been a different problem. We've also not gotten any updates from that poster, so perhaps he figured out that it was something he did wrong.

The NHTSA investigation will continue for some time, but by all reports this issue is resolved.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
i was having the stalling issue constantly as i bought the car new in AUG.. (great falls 6 speed). then once the cold came into play it hasn't happened since.. i spoke to the dealer as i stopped by there asking about the recall being honored and what it entails they still know nothing about that or oil weights being different. i asked about an oil change and they won't do anything besides what's recommended thus the same oil weight which some of you are saying is the actual problem.
again big issue here is, is this a fix for now where some **** will get worse later on or is this actually solving the problem?
big concern for me is if i put a tune on the car or some slight modifications and the problem persists they'l be like "oh well you modified the car" and i'l be left with my jack in my hands...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Anybody else that was having the problem gone in for the TSB and no longer experiencing the stalling problem?
GLI 6MT owner here. I had the issue when I first bought the car but only a few times then it stopped. I did get the recall done this morning. I can confirm there is more power/better acceleration at lower rpms. I suspect the result will be a better driving experience for anyone who gets this work done, even if they don’t have the stalling issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe it needs to be higher to maintain better oil pressure . Sounded like oil pressure was related to the underlying issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
had the recall done last week..
the idea sounds completly different, idles at a higher RPM
i guess we'll see over the summer.
What difference ha e you noticed? I thought the same thing but then noticed as the engine got warmer the idle calmed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

201 - 220 of 235 Posts