VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 4/18/20 2019 GTI S DSG stall problem

It is happening on my car, 185 miles on the clock. Today was the first time and its hot here in California, 82F.

Taking to to the dealer tomorrow morning but I'm tempted/debating to just change the oil to 5/40 and see.

Monaco

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Footnote, of sorts: You should know that neither VoA nor VW AG can official advise 2019 GTI/GLI owners to return to the oil weight previously specified. Why, you ask? Because the vehicles were certified to the NHTSA and the EPA as emissions compliant with 0W-20 weight oil. To change the oil specification to 0W-40, VW AG would be required to re-perform the certifications testing. That testing would cost millions. Literally. So, the work-around "fix" is the one now being authorized: re-coding the ECU.
Re-coding the ECU doesn't constitute a re-testing of emissions?:screwy:

·
Registered
494 Posts
It is happening on my car, 185 miles on the clock. Today was the first time and its hot here in California, 82F.

Taking to to the dealer tomorrow morning but I'm tempted/debating to just change the oil to 5/40 and see.

Monaco
Oil changed solved the issues in my car.

Is yours 19 or 20? Have you had the ECU updated yet?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vw 2020 GTI SE m/t stalling

Just got a 2020 GTI SE manual transmission and I’m having issues with stalling when in neutral. It seems to be a very soft stall and is weird because it happens only when I come to a stop or an in neutral and stopped. Has anyone else been having these issues as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update from when you last posted I’m having similar issues and I’m at 340 miles. Please let me know how to fix. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Monaco
any update from your last post I’m having similar problems and only 300 miles so far.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is a recall campaign for “stalling at low speeds”

I had mine done at 380 miles on my 2019 GTI SE.

I forget the campaign number. Is this what you are all referring to or is there an active recall and you guys are experiencing stalling from something entirely different?

·
Registered
324 Posts
There's an update to this issue -- the conclusions of Office of Defects Investigation, NHTSA -- posted at p. 202 et seq. in this thread:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2019-gti-6mt-stalling-issue.363310/page-202.

The takeaway: " . . . The erroneous advanced position of the intake camshaft is a result of low oil pressure at idle and high oil temperatures, greater than or equal to 110°C/230°F combined with engine control algorithms in the Engine Control Module (ECM) that position the intake camshaft. . . ." [Emphasis added.]

As I asked elsewhere: What's the simplest way of increasing oil pressure at idle?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks. This makes me glad that the Golf 8 GTI will be made in Wolfsburg, Germany, instead of Mexico.

I remember that some Golf 4 GTIs like the VR6 that were manufactured at Brazil’s factory received shoddy wiring so the entire vehicle had electric issues. You need to have quality parts and the right tolerances. I wish my 2017 GTI Sport manual was never rear ended by a woman who had a seizure. Even the carpet was better on that car.

So does this campaign affect our engine’s pull in say 2nd gear when giving full throttle or close to full throttle?

·
Registered
494 Posts
So it was the ecu not programmed correctly to work with the new 0w-20 oil. That's why some had luck with resetting ECU and heavier oil.

Edit- In my opinion, those that didn't have luck with heavier oil, probably had already damaged there O2 sensor. Once mine was replaced, I had no more issues with heavier oil. The correct fix is getting the patch though. I'm still running heavier oil due to tracking and the fact that my tune doesn't have the required fix.

The thread on mk7 site is a crap show.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So it was the ecu not programmed correctly to work with the new 0w-20 oil. That's why some had luck with resetting ECU and heavier oil.

The thread on mk7 site is a crap show.

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I was wondering about the oil as it had changed from what was recommended for my 2017 GTI Sport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2020 SE MT and mine stalled twice Just like it had auto stop/start without the start. I really didn't even recognize it since the thing is so quiet. Once at around 300 miles and again around 600 miles. It was neighborhood driving (not racing, which I do not do). I thought it odd, but gave it very little thought. Fast forward to 2000ish miles...After much research and querying the local and not so local shops, retailers and tuners about changing to a heavier viscosity oil, I changed from the factory fill 508 spec to Liqui-Molly 5-40W. (I wrote a letter to VW of America about oil viscosities and why 0-20w in November 2020. I am still waiting...) An early oil change was a pretty common practice "back in the day" to flush out break in material and I have done it with every vehicle I have owned since I was a teenager. I have been told it is unnecessary, but it makes me happy 😊. (I also added an ESC Street Shield to protect that little plastic oil pan). No stalls since. @ 5000 miles I dropped the plastic pan and replaced it with a WORTEC aluminum deep sump pan and put 7.5Qts of Castrol 0-40w in. Again, no stalls since the oil change and I am still getting 32-34 MPG at 75-80 MPH on I-95. My 06 tdi with 304000 miles is only pulling 43 @ 80mph so not too shabby. Unfortunately, the street shield will not fit with the larger WORTEC pan. The second change put me on my 5000-mile oil change regimen as it has paid off for my other vehicles (3 diesels). Still no stalls, adding some anecdotal evidence the oil may be a problem as suggested earlier. BTW, the oil is running 10-14 degrees (F) cooler with the WORTEC pan. (y) Prolog: On 30 Mar I received a notice from VWoA about this issue(?). On 1 Apr I took the car in, they updated the ECU and I am compliant with whatever fix they determined it needed.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts