VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a fix! Using OEM parts. With a total cost of $5.78 with tax.
I replaced the stock 110mm subframe mounting bolts with an Audi/Passat bolt.
Instead of using the weak stock bolts that stretch and fail over, and over again, I used subframe connecting bolts from a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro, and torqued them to the spec in the Bentley manual of: 81 ft. lbs. + 1/4 turn.
The part number is N-908-235-01
The Audi bolt is a grade 10.8 bolt like the stock bolt, but with a much larger flange for better torque distribution and It also has a much thicker shank, so it doesn't stretch as easily. The popping, and snapping when entering and leaving my driveway are now gone! I almost love my car again. The two original bolts that I replaced are P/N
WHT-000-431A. The Audi dealership had plenty of these bolts on hand; I checked with two local dealers to make sure. Here's a few pictures comparing the stock bolt (black) with the Audi bolt (green).
Oh... The original bolt looks longer, because it has stretched. It started out the same length (M12-1.5x110mm).

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by ryan mills at 12:34 AM 7-8-2009

·
Registered
460 Posts
Re: If you're tired of your clunking subframe...... (ryan mills)

wow im having that exact problem with the clunking and popping coming in/out of my driveway. did you experience it on turns also? i have an appoinment at the dealer for the noise on tuesday. what will they do to fix it?

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Lower it!!)

Quote, originally posted by Lower it!! »

when you look under your car, that big chunk of aluminum. They go there.

ok, way to get smart.
why dont you go look under there, and tell me which of the 20 or so bolts are the problem bolts.
and if im correct, its probably not even that big slab of aluminum, its the smaller control arm mounts.
thanks for being smart.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Re: FV-QR (dubsker)

You're welcome. And you're right there are many bolts under there. But I only know of 4-6 that would make a major difference. Thanks for the smart compliment.
ps. One of my subframe bolts is sheared off, i know subframe clunking.

Modified by Lower it!! at 7:55 PM 7-7-2009

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Lower it!!)

Quote, originally posted by Lower it!! »
You're welcome. And you're right there are many bolts under there. But I only know of 4-6 that would make a major difference. Thanks for the smart compliment.
ps. One of my subframe bolts is sheared off, i know subframe clunking.

Modified by Lower it!! at 7:55 PM 7-7-2009

you have some serious ass subframe clunking problems

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using the picture posted above, it's the two black bolts that I added the yellow arrows to.
Hope that helps. I might look up a replacement for the front bolts one day if I ever hear any noise in the future...

·
Registered
270 Posts
damn so its just these two bolts that make that loud ass clunk noise when i turn my steering wheel all the way towards one direcetion? i told the faulkner vw about this problem before they looked at me crazy those a-holes

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Re: If you're tired of your clunking subframe...... (ryan mills)

Dude you are brilliant! I need a Guinness now.. It gots no popping, but I will change these for ****z giggles!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: If you're tired of your clunking subframe...... (B3sat16v)

Quote, originally posted by B3sat16v »
Dude you are brilliant! I need a Guinness now.. It gots no popping, but I will change these for ****z giggles!

x2

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: (ryan mills)

Flipped thru the bently and couldnt find any info. Is there a sequence to replacing these? Can the suspension be loaded?
If this works itll remove my biggest annoyance w/this car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: If you're tired of your clunking subframe...... (.badrabbit.)

Wow, thank you so much for this post. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I will get this done ASAP as I have had the clunking for about 8 months now and have taken it to the dealer 3 times to get it fixed. They tightened the bolts once, it helped for a week and then went back to clunking. They said they couldn't do anything more for the problem.
It's really embarrassing. Also, there is a huge post about this that is about 20 pages long with no fix to the problem.

1 - 20 of 515 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.