VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went out to my Tiguan and found the key ( and any of the extra keys ) would not turn the ignition switch. I've had the car for 6 months and about 7K miles so I do know how to work the key. VW roadside service came out and played with it for 10 minutes and was about to give up when the driver somehow was able to get the key to turn. I took the car into a local VW dealer. They were not able to get the switch lock up again but said they found error code P150A and installed a ECU update per TSB 2014603 and said they had solved the problem. I am skeptical, not too sure of the " fix" and don't want to be stranded. Any ideas?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Ignition switch locked up (vintagebike)

I don't know if it's the same, but every once in a while in my wife's Golf if the steering wheel has locked (ie with the ignition off and key out you turn it so far that it locks out further motion) that when you go to start the car the key won't turn. Wiggling the steering wheel a little seems to free it. It may be the same problem, and the road side guy just happened to knock the wheel right when trying the ignition key. Otherwise no clue, seems odd that a firmware would cause that kind of a physical issue.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

This isn't one of those things where the steering wheel locks and you have to kinda force it in order to turn the key?
EDIT: We posted at the same time... lol

·
Registered
478 Posts

Yup, like others said if you park with your steering wheel turned all the way to one side or another it will lock up the steering wheel and the lock cylinder. (This is a feature on all cars)
You just have to turn the steering wheel into the direction that the wheels are turned and you should be able to turn the key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts