VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys...just a quickie for ya...i think my ignition switch is dying on me...he doesn't start right away. it takes a few times and you have to pull up on the steering wheel and giggle the key. how much is this one going to cost me? my dad can fix it...i just need the part. he said something about how he doesn't know how to change the switch without changing the steering column. i think that's what he said, but i can't remember right now. so i guess i'm asking how much will it cost and how do you do it?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Re: ignition switch (corrado4lifechick)

Ive had mine done at a shop, it takes about an hour and the switch isnt very expensive. When I got mine done it broke 3 months later, It was nice having a warrenty on that part.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

I got my switch for $10 they range from there to $20 and there are instructions on the corrado-club.com website.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

You can replace just the electrical part of the switch. I got it for about $20 from www.thepartsbin.com It's a pain in the a$$ to do because the screws are small and hard to get to. You need to remove the bottom plastic steering column cover and look up at the switch. There are 2 phillips head screws that hold the switch on to the lock cylinder. I did mine a few weeks ago but need to take it back out and redo it because it feels like something is binding up.

·
Registered
0 Posts

Just had mine done, however, wasn't the ignition switch it was the lock cylinder. 75% of the time it is not the ignition switch but the lock cylinder. Cost from the stealer $40 for lock cylinder, $20 for the ignition switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts