VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ignitionlives (Jim) CSG R Build and Track Fun Thread

First off-hello! This has been my first experience in a forum and I have found it enjoyable and informative. Time to get an organized thread together. I am definitely on the conservative side of Golf R builds so far but give me some time and my car will get interesting. I borrowed jsausley's basic format for this thread so I want to give him credit for that-

Back ground on buying a Golf R-
I realized about half way through my lease on a 2008 Lexus ISF that power (416hp) is great, but lack luster handling, lack of a manual transmission and limited practicality were an issue for me. I traded in a mid 2000 Boxster to get it and frankly I should have kept the Boxster in retrospect.

I realized about the same time that out of all the cars I have owned (which are a considerable #) I really missed my first new car-a 1991 Honda dx hatch. It was NOT fast but was fun to drive, practical and was a manual. In late 2010 I started researching "hot" hatches and was really excited about the Golf R but didn't want to wait so I eventually picked up an 11 CW 2 door base GTI. I LOVED it. Despite the difference in Hp between the GTI and the Lexus I found I preferred the GTI as a DD.I told my dealer when I bought the GTI that I would be back in a year for the Golf R and at about 15 months into my GTI lease I traded it in on the R after a few test drives and waiting on a fully loaded model to hit Corona/Riverside.

I am completely new to modding, but probably because of the months I spent trolling the R vortex thread before getting the car I felt comfortable doing stage 1 and HPFP right out of the box and have done a few more things since.

The R is everything I expected in an upscale "hot" hatch DD. Fast(ish), practical, great interior quality and fun to drive. Modding it is just more frosting on the cake and has proven to be ADDICTIVE! No plans to stop until I push towards the Hp range of my outgoing ISF (I do miss the brutal acceleration)

Most mods done by 4 seasons in Orange, CA. Good peeps to work with.

Modifications, finished, planned or considering thus far:

Engine:
- UM Stage 2 ( changed from APR Stage 2+ Software + mobile switching (91, 93, 100 & stk files) )- Installed
- DevilsOwn DVC 30 WMI System, (controller replaced with snow performance in 2015) - Installed
- Autotech rebuild High Pressure Fuel Pump - Installed
- Volant Intake (previously Neuspeed Pflo Intake) - Installed
- FMIC - Considering
- Exhaust: Down Pipe from Billy Boat - Installed
- 6 LB Braille Battery - Installed
- 16 row Mocal oil cooler + VDO gauge - Installed

Drive train/Suspension/Performance:
- Clutch- Sachs Race Engineered Cover, Old Stage 4 South Bend Feramic Lining on both sides of a sprung hub disc. - Installed
- Stock Wheels painted gloss black - Done!
- Black Neuspeed RSE05s for track - stocked..in my garage, lol
- BFG Comp 2 Tires - Installed
- Federal RSR Tires for track - stocked....on the side of my house lol
- Hoosier R6 Tires for track - stocked....in my garage lol
- Neuspeed Short Shifter- Installed
- Haldex Controller with dash mount dial - Installed
- Suspension- Volkswagen Racing UK Sport Springs ( replaced with progressive Neuspeed Race Springs in 2015) - Installed
- Suspension- Koni yellows - Installed
- Big Brakes- Considering
- Stop tech Pads - Installed
- Neuspeed Rear Sway - Installed
- Neuspeed Front Sway - Installed
- TB Performance Chassis Brace - Installed
- BSH Engine Mount - Installed
- BSH Transmission Mount - Installed
- BSH Pendulum Mount *Includes Torque Mount Insert* - Installed
- Metal Shifter Bracket - Installed
- Alloy Shifter Bushings - Installed
- Powerflex Front Wishbone Inner Bushings ( front) - Installed
- Powerflex Front Wishbone Inner Bushings ( rear) - Installed
- Powerflex Rear Lowerlink Outer Bushings - Installed

Aesthetics/Appearance:
- Badgeless grill - Installed
- Badgeless grill hood notch fill - Installed
- Neuspeed Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Considering
- US Millworks Front Plate Holder- Installed
- Bold Sport R seat inserts - Installed
- Bold Sport R stems caps - Installed
- OEMPlus Smoked Side Markers - Installed
- Tint: Medium Rear Windows and Hatch, Light Front Windows - Installed
- JOM LED Tails - Installed

Comfort/Usability/Other:
- OEM Under-seat Drawer - Installed
- OEM Dash Cubby - Installed
- PODI Boost Gauge - Installed
- Soundaktor DELETE - (un) installed

Weird things I have considered
-Paint (Total Repaint or Partial)
-CF Hood (for weight savings)
-CF Hatch (for weight savings)
-Diffusers

day 1-! Back from Riverside VW (then)

415911_392594180750929_100000010519829_1629687_528032461_o by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

(now)

May-02-2015-SpeedVentures - Purple - Turn 13 - ACS_2390_May0215_by_Brian by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

May-02-2015-SpeedVentures - Purple - Back Straight Speed Shots - ACS_0078_May0215_by_Brian by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

May-02-2015-SpeedVentures - Purple - Back Straight Speed Shots - ACS_0223_May0215_by_Brian by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

From the beginning-

I feel fancy..my car came with this...

IMAG2304 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

Random Glamour shots-

415963_397139326963081_100000010519829_1644836_606518724_o by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

IMAG2189 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

IMAG2193 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

Time to get busy...no way I am drilling the bumper so USmillworks plate holder goes on-

IMAG2217 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

We hate orange-so we install OEMplus smoked side markers (fitment ok...not great)

IMAG2262 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

Despite some nervousness about warranty related stuff I get APR stage 1..and love it.

Soon its back to 4 seasons for HPFP and Stage 1+

IMAG2297 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

I am seduced by the allure of a big intake (Neuspeed Pflo) the intake balances out the other mods perfectly, the car feels like the power is more linear:

IMAG2395 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

I get random things:

IMAG2426 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

IMAG2411 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

IMAG2409 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

Warming up in Cali..tint time:

IMAG2326 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

IMAG2328 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

and today- got new plates!

IMAG2554 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

and on that note, I drive off into the sunset for now (pic taken on R road trip up PCH)

IMAG2278 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

Jim

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Nice Looking Thread, Beautiful Car . . . The thread design looks so . . . familiar. :cool:

Nice mod progression path. :D

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine was bought on amazon but shipped from a dealership. they are also in drivers gear on vw's website

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Looking Thread, Beautiful Car . . . The thread design looks so . . . familiar. :cool:

Nice mod progression path. :D
Lol ....I may have borrowed heavily from several of you. :D

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Any Chance we can get you to move to the Diesel Geek Sigma Six . . . it is the sexiest Short Shifter alive!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any Chance we can get you to move to the Diesel Geek Sigma Six . . . it is the sexiest Short Shifter alive!
I have seen nothing but good reviews on that too, so it's certainly a consideration!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This almost feels like a real thread. I better get some wheels happening !

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back at 4 seasons today ...short shifter time and planning out wheels and suspension for next month.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
driving impressions of the short shifter are awesome. the throws are super quick. the action is accurate and mechanical. edit: this should have been my first mod.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

IMAG2654 by ignitionliveCA, on Flickr

just looked at the shifter they removed today, shouldn't be surprised but kinda was to see the audi logo-crazy shared parts!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wondering what Short throw you went with. I'm actually looking into getting one very soon like as in this week lol.
4 seasons stocks the neuspeed so I went with that. Very satisfied. There are many excellent reviews for diesel geek on the forum though so that could also be a consideration

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ask because my stock throw is a little longer than i'd like and also it seems to catch from 1st-2nd gear and i had the dealership look at it and they said it was working as designed and even when i drive it nice and easy it just seems not that smooth until i get out of 2nd and switch to 3rd and above. I guess the term I'm looking for is its a little notchy in the first 2 gears either up or down. Did you find this? and if so did the short throw take it away?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ask because my stock throw is a little longer than i'd like and also it seems to catch from 1st-2nd gear and i had the dealership look at it and they said it was working as designed and even when i drive it nice and easy it just seems not that smooth until i get out of 2nd and switch to 3rd and above. I guess the term I'm looking for is its a little notchy in the first 2 gears either up or down. Did you find this? and if so did the short throw take it away?
Weird. I did have that odd feeling between first and second. Believe it or not it seemed to get resolved when I got my intake. My theory is that stage 1+ made the car kinda peaky and made the weird pull between first and second even more noticeable. Intake brings on the power faster and levels out the push ....seems to make it a smoother shift. And yes the short shift refines it even more.

1 - 20 of 477 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.