VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's funny since I'm seeing a ton of Tesla 3's pop up all over the place around here now. A friend of mine even bought a 3 too. What's interesting is Uncle Sam is giving you reason to buy electrics in the form of tax credits. What's good for the feds though does states no good since their beloved gas tax to maintain highways is null and void with pure electrics. Illinois believes they've found a way around that though now by charging you a $1000 registration fee. It's another sad case of what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/illinois-1000-electric-vehicle-legislation

·
Registered
45,931 Posts
Other states are looking at or have added taxes on EVs. $1000 per year seems high but it depends on what the state's gas tax is and what other taxes on ICE vehicles are. When it comes right down to it, I think every vehicle/driver should pay to use the roads in the proportion that they use them.

·
Registered
34,865 Posts
Other states are looking at or have added taxes on EVs. $1000 per year seems high but it depends on what the state's gas tax is and what other taxes on ICE vehicles are. When it comes right down to it, I think every vehicle/driver should pay to use the roads in the proportion that they use them.
Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead. This will give all the workers of the world a break and they will in turn spend more money, which helps businesses, which ultimately helps the rich anyway by adding more business and more shareholder value. It's win-win.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
From what I can tell, that's the equivalent tax of almost 2700 gallons of gasoline, or ~80k miles if you get 30 miles to the gallon.

This is a dollar amount either chosen out of idiocy or desire to punish EV drivers.

Even if you take the article as saying that it's $1000 per year for registration, to include the ~$200 registration fee, you're still talking about charging someone the equivalent of buying 2100 gallons of gasoline. Annually.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I think this is very wrongheaded IMO. The only true way to make this fair for everyone is to make the registration fee based on yearly miles driven. No one would be forced to pay more due to the vehicle they drive.

My state has moved to a weight based, and putatively high priced registration scheme. I paid $550 the other month to register MY SUV. It is unfair t IMO, because I only drive it 1500 miles per year, while a lighter car could rack up 30,000 miles and pay half the cost. I am fine with paying the gas tax, since my vehicle guzzles it, and deserves to pay a higher rate than a Prius, or Tesla.

If we moved to a mileage based fee (verified at your yearly safety inspection) then it would be a simple transaction of paying a fee to use the roads, and no loophole would preclude you from paying your share.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead. This will give all the workers of the world a break and they will in turn spend more money, which helps businesses, which ultimately helps the rich anyway by adding more business and more shareholder value. It's win-win.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm an Illinoisan and a progressive. However, I don't like how hard this proposed tax will hit the working class. Because real estate is expensive, and the metropolitan area is quite large, many in the Chicago area commute long distances (often in stop and go traffic) to get from where they live to where they work. So fuel can be a sizeable cost and we already pay usage fees for the expressways in terms of tolls. Because of real estate prices, moving closer to work isn't an option for everyone.

The registration fees for electric cars is most disappointing... that's really going to slow down adoption of EVs by the middle class. A Camry SE Hybrid is looking more and more enticing for my next car...

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,847 Posts
Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but you are fairly conservative leaning if I remember correctly. Right?

·
Registered
23,238 Posts
From what I can tell, that's the equivalent tax of almost 2700 gallons of gasoline, or ~80k miles if you get 30 miles to the gallon.

This is a dollar amount either chosen out of idiocy or desire to punish EV drivers.
I think this is very wrongheaded IMO. The only true way to make this fair for everyone is to make the registration fee based on yearly miles driven. No one would be forced to pay more due to the vehicle they drive.

My state has moved to a weight based, and putatively high priced registration scheme. I paid $550 the other month to register MY SUV. It is unfair t IMO, because I only drive it 1500 miles per year, while a lighter car could rack up 30,000 miles and pay half the cost. I am fine with paying the gas tax, since my vehicle guzzles it, and deserves to pay a higher rate than a Prius, or Tesla.

If we moved to a mileage based fee (verified at your yearly safety inspection) then it would be a simple transaction of paying a fee to use the roads, and no loophole would preclude you from paying your share.
All of these. They pulled that fee completely out of their asses and has no basis in reality. Personally, I think that a mileage-based structure is much more appropriate, maybe with a secondary tier for vehicles over a certain weight class that could arguably cause more impact/damage to the road.

In Speedy's case, I'd wonder if a lighter vehicle driving 20X the annual mileage would cause more wear and tear on the road than his SUV that's parked most of its life.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead.
Not this stupid argument again.

Tell me - at what point is taxing the "rich" enough? What exactly is their fair share? 50%? 70%? 90%?? They already pay the bulk of all taxes, and some of you always want to extract more. It's insane.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
The Man Sticking It To The EV Nerds

What a laugh at Illinois, money sucking bureaucrats. * I mean, they only sold seventy three hundred EVs in the state. So they net just over seven grand for this farce.

The Illinois legislature could pay that out of their slush fund.

Here in NC they are trying to register bicycles again. If a poor person has a dime, they want to skim a few pennies.

* https://evadoption.com/ev-market-share/ev-market-share-state/

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts

Tell me - at what point is taxing the "rich" enough? What exactly is their fair share? 50%? 70%? 90%?? They already pay the bulk of all taxes, and some of you always want to extract more. It's insane.
Agreed. Progressive, flat and even regressive taxes have their place. In terms of car/road taxes, a per use tax is fair. To me the most logical tax is a mileage x GVWR x some factor one. At least for road use tax.

As far as this tax though... Illinois gonna Illinois.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Illinois latest governor is trying to lay a higher income tax on the rich right right now. That's mainly for 2 reasons. 1) Illinois so broke now even their bonds are rated at junk bonds level. 2) Illinois charges a flat tax on all income, so it's the same tax rate for everybody no matter if you made 20 thousand or 20 million dollars. For all I know this just might drive more people away from Illinois, which is shrinking in population.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Illinois latest governor is trying to lay a higher income tax on the rich right right now. That's mainly for 2 reasons. 1) Illinois so broke now even their bonds are rated at junk bonds level. 2) Illinois charges a flat tax on all income, so it's the same tax rate for everybody no matter if you made 20 thousand or 20 million dollars. For all I know this just might drive more people away from Illinois, which is shrinking in population.
There isn't a month that goes by that we don't consider leaving the state. We lived out of state for a long time and came back from Los Angeles 10 years ago (to start a family) when CA was in shambles and IL was "technically" doing well.. Feel like things are quite the opposite now. :screwy: With aging parents on both sides and a lot of family in the area leaving again would be hard (especially now that we have kids), but it's insane what's happening around here.

Can't wait until they get around to passing the 1% property tax hike that's been floating around the state government last few months. We already have some of the highest property taxes in the nation and now they're considering a 1% increase (based on the gross value of your home/land). As an example, let's say you're paying $10k in property taxes and your house has been appraised at $500k. This 1% increase means you'd now have pay a $5,000 more in taxes... So that actually ends up being a 50% increase in your annual tax bill. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

1 - 20 of 137 Posts