VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
There is also a proposed bill that would increase our gas tax to make us the highest in the nation.
It's really bad news, maybe not as bad as what they've proposed for electric cars but either way they're giving you more reason to ditch the mismanaged state of Illinois.
House Bill 3233 was introduced earlier this week by Chicago Democratic Sen. Martin Sandoval. According to the Chicago Tribune, the legislation would double the state’s gas tax by 44 cents a gallon, double the driver’s license fee to $60 and raise the vehicle registration fee to $148. Currently, the driver’s license fee is $30 and the vehicle registration fee is $98.
https://wrex.com/category/2019/05/0...ropose-44-cent-gas-tax-increase-license-fees/

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What a shocker. The tollway authority recently hiked tolls while ringing up the highest user amount in its history as well. All of this can kiss my ass.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and my parents and 2 brothers are still there. I really don't know why though. I now live in Washington

My house and my parent's house have similar market values, and both are in good school districts. They pay $9K more a year in property tax.
I pay $0 in state income tax
EVs pay an extra $150/yr in registration tax here in WA. That seems reasonable to me.
I can walk to my local Cannabis dispensary and buy pretty much whatever I want. My dad needs to wait until he comes to visit me to do that.

BUT

The pizza out here sucks
The hot dogs out here have cream cheese on them (what?)
Gas is a bit more expense than in IL
My wife is a public school teacher, and makes $20K less than what a comparable IL public school teacher makes.
I-5 is worse than any of the Chicago highways
Public Transportation is WAY better in IL (at least the Chicago metro area)

My folks are planning on retiring in Michigan. When Michigan looks better than your current state, you know something is wrong.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like Illinois has the EV crowd by the nads. Remember names when it's time to vote I say.
Madigan is the only name you need to know.
He runs the state.

Basically crippled Rauner for 4 years and now has his new pawn in playing Gov. Only way out of this is to vote Republican each and every time you go to the ballot box. But this state won't do it.
For as awful as Pat Quinn was, he still was almost reelected:mad:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Isn't Rivian building their electric trucks at the old Diamond Star plant downstate? You'd think they'd be reconsidering assembling stuff in this sh*thole.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and my parents and 2 brothers are still there. I really don't know why though. I now live in Washington

My house and my parent's house have similar market values, and both are in good school districts. They pay $9K more a year in property tax.
I pay $0 in state income tax
EVs pay an extra $150/yr in registration tax here in WA. That seems reasonable to me.
I can walk to my local Cannabis dispensary and buy pretty much whatever I want. My dad needs to wait until he comes to visit me to do that.

BUT

The pizza out here sucks
The hot dogs out here have cream cheese on them (what?)
Gas is a bit more expense than in IL
My wife is a public school teacher, and makes $20K less than what a comparable IL public school teacher makes.
I-5 is worse than any of the Chicago highways
Public Transportation is WAY better in IL (at least the Chicago metro area)

My folks are planning on retiring in Michigan. When Michigan looks better than your current state, you know something is wrong.
My property tax payment is just about ready to intersect my mortgage payment. New license plate idea: "Illinois is for masochistic lovers."

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Isn't Rivian building their electric trucks at the old Diamond Star plant downstate? You'd think they'd be reconsidering assembling stuff in this sh*thole.
As far as I know Rivian is going to roll the dice in Normal, Illinois. Sounds like a risky move, even if they acquired the factory for small change.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead. This will give all the workers of the world a break and they will in turn spend more money, which helps businesses, which ultimately helps the rich anyway by adding more business and more shareholder value. It's win-win.
Income taxes, both federal and state, are progressive partly because most other taxes like sales and gas tax are regressive.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Each Party Has A Hand In My Pocket

Madigan is the only name you need to know.
He runs the state.

Basically crippled Rauner for 4 years and now has his new pawn in playing Gov. Only way out of this is to vote Republican each and every time you go to the ballot box. But this state won't do it.
For as awful as Pat Quinn was, he still was almost reelected:mad:
There is no "safe" party harbor in NC, the elephant sits on you and takes your money and the donkey kicks you and takes your money :laugh:

The only bipartisan thing they do is agree to fee us more.

But after reading this thread I give my sympathies to my Illinois forumites. Holy fek, they really are going after you folks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In bold, wow, that's crazy. And the plate idea is awesome :laugh:
Wife is finishing up her masters.
Once completed she will be looking at a 20-30k raise.

We have started looking at larger houses for our family of 5 (4 bed room/3 bath types). We found one just under 3k SF, 3 car garage, nice plot of land etc. 300k give or take. Yearly taxes are $12,000/year!!

We looked at buying a house on the river that closer to our current house but taxes on that were 15k/yr!!!

I'm not doing it.

A buddy of mine lives in Indiana and has a 4bd/4ba 3200 sf house and I don't think he even pays $1k in taxes a year.

The wife and I have had some serious talks of moving out of this state. Every where you turn its something else needing money and not much of it is to benefit us.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Wow

We have started looking at larger houses for our family of 5 (4 bed room/3 bath types). We found one just under 3k SF, 3 car garage, nice plot of land etc. 300k give or take. Yearly taxes are $12,000/year!!

We looked at buying a house on the river that closer to our current house but taxes on that were 15k/yr!!!

I'm not doing it.

A buddy of mine lives in Indiana and has a 4bd/4ba 3200 sf house and I don't think he even pays $1k in taxes a year.

The wife and I have had some serious talks of moving out of this state. Every where you turn its something else needing money and not much of it is to benefit us.
Congrats to your wife on her education and to you both holding it down together up there with the kids. I know it's not easy, it takes mi at and time and both get stretched.

Your quote, "I'm not doing it " sounded like me! But my tax beef pales in comparison, it's not that bad in NC.

There's something to be said about the weather here and cost if living. Not to mention some good country roads to drive on.

I know it's not easy to uproot the family and move but there's something to be said about quality of life.

Wishing the best to you and fam.

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm an Illinoisan and a progressive. However, I don't like how hard this proposed tax will hit the working class. Because real estate is expensive, and the metropolitan area is quite large, many in the Chicago area commute long distances (often in stop and go traffic) to get from where they live to where they work. So fuel can be a sizeable cost and we already pay usage fees for the expressways in terms of tolls. Because of real estate prices, moving closer to work isn't an option for everyone.

The registration fees for electric cars is most disappointing... that's really going to slow down adoption of EVs by the middle class. A Camry SE Hybrid is looking more and more enticing for my next car...
I agree that regressive taxes are a bad thing, but the Chicago metro area already has some silly rules like that the chicago metro area requires its own summer gas formulation that isnt used anywhere else in the country.

The problem in Illinois is that the political gridlock is legendary, and they ALWAYS want new sources of revenue because the patronage system is so ingrained that they are always running out of money. An EV tax is just another example of that. A couple years ago we had a soda tax, which was billed as a "public health measure" but also included diet and no calorie sodas in their tax because they wanted the extra revenue. I dont even drink much soda but I was glad that was eventually struck down.

I love Chicago, but frankly its a mess. Just another example that is pretty well know. In 2010 Mayor Daley sold the city parking rights to LAZ parking for 1.15b on a 99 year lease. However, after just 8 years, LAZ made 850 million, and are expected to breakeven by 2020, yet they have 90 YEARS of profit to go!?!?!

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
You guys are complaining about a $1k hit for registering EVs. Move to a state that requires you to pay ownership tax at reg time. Bitch at me when you get a $2k reg bill up front on an ICE car.. after you already paid sales tax, and pay a monthly escrow lease tax. Where else but glorious Denver.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts

I'm not doing it.

We have cheap prop taxes in DEN- around $1,200 a year. However, my 796 sq ft house is $365,000. So it all balances out one way or another in us getting f'd.

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
You guys are complaining about a $1k hit for registering EVs. Move to a state that requires you to pay ownership tax at reg time. Bitch at me when you get a $2k reg bill up front on an ICE car.. after you already paid sales tax, and pay a monthly escrow lease tax. Where else but glorious Denver.
Illinois is way more than just registration taxes though. Everytime you turn around you are getting a bill or tax for something unexpected.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Illinois is way more than just registration taxes though. Everytime you turn around you are getting a bill or tax for something unexpected.
I hear you- forgive my obtuseness. All around this country, all I hear are problems from friends/family in so far as everything getting more expensive, while they make the same, and get less effectively. I concur.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts