VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead.
Correct, except this argument is used to destroy our roads by not bothering to do Step 2, over and over and over again.

enough? What exactly is their fair share? 50%? 70%? 90%?? They already pay the bulk of all taxes, and some of you always want to extract more. It's insane.
Cool story, Hansel. Now do it by effective percentages. We'll wait :laugh:

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,328 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
But the reality is, cars cause such a small percentage of road wear, which is what the gas tax is supposed to cover, it doesn't really matter. It's all trucks doing the damage anyways. Do they really need an extra $91 from each EV driver?
Yea, look at the issues going on with I-80 bridges in Joliet and the damages around all of the super warehouses in the 80/55 corridor from the truck traffic.

My brother, who lives in the Chicago burbs owns a small trucking company (3 trucks on the road). The company is based out of Indiana, and he NEVER buys fuel in IL. He used to work for a large trucking company before he started his own, and even they would encourage drivers not to buy fuel in the Chicagoland area. This is all lost revenue for the state of Illinois, and they are left dealing with the issues as a result.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
If someone was going to raise my taxes and direct it to actual TEACHER salaries, directly to people who are in the classroom with kids, I'd be all for it. But that's not how it works. They'll blow it on other stupid **** and just come back with the hand out again next year.
Agreed.

Why should we pay property tax on cars? I already pay SUBSTANTIAL sales tax on cars at the point of purchase (8.25% in suburban Cook County, 9.5% in Chicago proper). There's no reason we should pay continued property tax on cars. Now, if you wanted to argue EVs are getting a free ride, I'd say you need to come up with a tax that approximates what others pay.
My fault for not elaborating further. I don't like prop taxes but don't have a problem with how SC handles it. We have a 5% sales tax yet the car cap for any purchase is $300/400. Then you pay an annual prop tax to get your reg stickers every yr based on the value of your vehicle. 10 years of that tax (doing the math on my Audi, the $ figure has decreased each yr) is about the same as the new car sales tax would have been in your jurisdiction. And fwiw, my 4550 sf 5BR/4.5 bath on .8 acres of lakefront prop tax is probably 40% of what you would pay.

·
Registered
359 Posts
IL and NY are both vampiric ****holes that suck the citizens of the state dry in order to support their one decent city. If you are not earning 6+ figures and owning property in the one city, you should not be in the state.
ding ding ding

The pension monster is eating everything up.

Fix that issue, and this state is great IMO. But no politician is going to risk their career/life by challenging the state labor unions

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
Yes and no.

I moved here solely for my wife, who is from here, and basically hated it.

However:

-lots and lots of industry here, I can move around lots of big companies seamlessly
-very very good public education in the right neighborhoods/suburbs
-compared to the NYC metro area and the various CA metro areas, the COL is not THAT bad
-Chicago as a city is better than most others when it comes to cleanliness, stuff to do, food, experiences, etc
-if you live in a close-in suburb, it is very possible to live in walkable areas, have a great QOL, etc, even though your house is probably fairly small
-cheap flights out of OHare plus it's central to get anywhere you want to go
-demographically desirable in the right areas (our area is all young/middle aged professional types, not a lot of hillbillys, etc)

Really, my biggest gripes are:
-****ty property taxes/relatively high housing costs (1700 sq ft 3br house worth $375k and I pay like $9k in taxes)
-no fun roads
-no real ocean

The corruption and BS, yeah, it sucks, but whatever. And I grew up in CT, so I'm kinda used to the high-tax BS.
This is all very true. I live on the northside of the city, and rent so property taxes are not a concern for me as of yet. The pluses however are really nice. I walk to my grocery store, can bike, swim, and run along the lake in the summer, and despite it not being an ocean, it feels much like one in many respects. I go to the beach all the time during the summer, and transportation options are everywhere. Because its flat, its also very easy to bike around. Driving around here does suck, and I'm the first to admit it. In the summer I try to drive as little as possible because it becomes a nightmare with people driving into the city. Also as much as the winter sucks, I can't stress enough how amazing and wonderful summer is in Chicago. Ive lived in many locations in the US, and traveled around the world. Summertime in Chicago is something incredible, and I haven't experienced anything like it in the world.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
This is all very true. I live on the northside of the city, and rent so ...
Where are you? I am in Uptown. We should throw a GTG at Montrose Harbor or at the lakefront parking lots between Foster and Wilson....

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Just went to register my wife's car (bought it in Dec so register it every December) and remembered this thread. Apparently the EV tax in 2020 is going to be $248, and our ICE vehicle registration is going from $101 to $148 (or thereabouts, maybe it's $156? I dunno). So $100 more than an ICE, which is about what I calculated it should be up thread. Still feels stupid, like they are penalizing people for doing something beneficial, but whatever.

·
Registered
34,871 Posts
Just went to register my wife's car (bought it in Dec so register it every December) and remembered this thread. Apparently the EV tax in 2020 is going to be $248, and our ICE vehicle registration is going from $101 to $148 (or thereabouts, maybe it's $156? I dunno). So $100 more than an ICE, which is about what I calculated it should be up thread. Still feels stupid, like they are penalizing people for doing something beneficial, but whatever.
Related:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/states-hike-fees-for-electric-vehicle-owners-in-2020/ar-BBYtlBY

States Hike Fees for Electric Vehicle Owners in 2020

At least eight states will enforce new or higher registration fees for electric vehicle owners starting Wednesday in an effort to offset lost revenue from gas taxes.

These states are Alabama, California, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Ohio, Oregon and Utah, according to the Associated Press.

The fees, which range from $50 in Kansas to $200 in Alabama and Ohio, are meant to help fund the states' infrastructure, which relies heavily on gas taxes. States have seen gas taxes fall over recent years due to cars' better gas mileage and an increase in electric vehicle usage.

While some think that states are being reasonable with the new fees, which they claim are less expensive than what vehicle owners pay each year for fuel taxes, others like electric vehicle advocate Neda Deylami call the fees a "kind of a blanket penalty for anyone who chooses to go electric."

California, which is responsible for nearly half of the nation's electric vehicle sales, will charge electric vehicle owners a $100 fee starting July 1.
Of the 8 states listed, I would say that 7 of them are either Republican strongholds or have serious government funding shortfalls to explain the anti-EV taxes. The baffling one is California, which is supposed to be doing all it can to encourage EV usage, yet here they are with an extra $100 flat tax (which also means it is an anti-working class regressive tax) on electric cars. I guess file that one under California just raising taxes in general.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I hate "overspend and tax more" IL as much as you do, but aren't they raising that fee in order to offset the loss in gas taxes for EV's?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I hate "overspend and tax more" IL as much as you do, but aren't they raising that fee in order to offset the loss in gas taxes for EV's?
Yes, but also no.

We hear all the time about all of the "invisible costs" that ICE vehicles cost in terms of pollution, health issues, blabbedy blah blah, which EVs are supposed to help sidestep, so why do they need the piddly additional costs from EVs? Plus, the additional marginal wear from EVs on the roads is infinitesimal versus the temp changes, plows, and big trucks we have on our streets.

The whole thing just smacks of "those jerks are getting a free ride, we need to tax them!" but if "those jerks" are helping to transition us away from fossil fuels, shouldn't they be rewarded, not shaken down for every last nickle? It's like if they enacted a soda tax, and then realized that people who don't drink soda aren't contributing, so let's tax their water! but wait, we're trying to influence people away from drinking soda, why do we turn around and tax those that are doing what we want them to?

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,048 Posts
Taxation and pensions (legacy costs) are really what hurt IL, I always see the state the same way I see GM - if they could actually cut the bull****, reorganize, consolidate, and really start a new chapter in how things work it'd be a smashing success. That inevitably hurts people in the short-term, so even though the big picture would really improve you end up caught in the politics and muck of it all.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Taxation and pensions (legacy costs) are really what hurt IL, I always see the state the same way I see GM - if they could actually cut the bull****, reorganize, consolidate, and really start a new chapter in how things work it'd be a smashing success. That inevitably hurts people in the short-term, so even though the big picture would really improve you end up caught in the politics and muck of it all.
They won't even stop the bleeding and stop hiring people with crazy pension benefits. I get that "pensions are a promise" and all that BS, but can we stop making the promise?????????

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,048 Posts
Agreed, at least learn from the dozens of mistakes, just one, we've lost population for the 6th year and had the highest degree of emigration of any state this decade :facepalm:

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
Yes, but also no.

We hear all the time about all of the "invisible costs" that ICE vehicles cost in terms of pollution, health issues, blabbedy blah blah, which EVs are supposed to help sidestep, so why do they need the piddly additional costs from EVs? Plus, the additional marginal wear from EVs on the roads is infinitesimal versus the temp changes, plows, and big trucks we have on our streets.

The whole thing just smacks of "those jerks are getting a free ride, we need to tax them!" but if "those jerks" are helping to transition us away from fossil fuels, shouldn't they be rewarded, not shaken down for every last nickle? It's like if they enacted a soda tax, and then realized that people who don't drink soda aren't contributing, so let's tax their water! but wait, we're trying to influence people away from drinking soda, why do we turn around and tax those that are doing what we want them to?
That would be like using consistent logic, and that doesn’t seem to line up with anyone’s political agenda.

Chris

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
That would be like using consistent logic, and that doesn’t seem to line up with anyone’s political agenda.

Chris
Really it just illuminates how even taxes that are spun as trying to drive behavior are, at the end of the day, just a money grab. And when you drive the behavior down, you have to invent a bogey man so you can tax that too.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts