VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
20,597 Posts
Another benefit if being an IL resident... Beginning on 1/1/20, we get to enjoy paying taxes on vehicle trade-ins! Just lovely!!
I happened to read that one. It depends on the value of the trade-in.

https://abc7chicago.com/automotive/illinois-tax-on-car-trade-ins-is-going-up-in-2020/5744942/

Before, a trade-in up to $20,000 reduced the tax payable on the purchase of the new car. Now it's going down to $10,000. You still only pay tax on the difference over the $10,000.

I agree the nickel & diming is stupid though.

·
Registered
34,870 Posts
Agreed, at least learn from the dozens of mistakes, just one, we've lost population for the 6th year and had the highest degree of emigration of any state this decade :facepalm:
I thought it was funny that even the Obamas refuse to move back to Illinois. As you said, Illinois is the state with the worst negative population growth (by quantity, not percentage) of any state in the union with only Puerto Rico dwarfing Illinois in terms of the number of people fleeing the region.

·
Registered
46,024 Posts
I thought it was funny that even the Obamas refuse to move back to Illinois. As you said, Illinois is the state with the worst negative population growth (by quantity, not percentage) of any state in the union with only Puerto Rico dwarfing Illinois in terms of the number of people fleeing the region.
I'd like to see the Puerto Rico population exit rate prior to Maria and Irma.

·
Registered
839 Posts
1000 dollars.

Think about that for a moment. Aside from what the money is supposed to go for, Illinois is a joke.

(especially since where we all know where the money does go)

·
Registered
34,870 Posts
I'd like to see the Puerto Rico population exit rate prior to Maria and Irma.

It actually peaked all the way back in 2001 and the migration started after 1996 when the US government cut off the money spigot for PR. They went from a welfare baby of the US to something even worse - they aren't independent, so they don't have autonomy but they also aren't a state, thus they can't vote and effectively have no representation. The best thing at this point would be to grant PR its independence and sign a Compact of Free Association with them, such as the USA has with the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, and Palau. PR is simply way too big to treat it like it's Guam II.

·
Registered
46,024 Posts

It actually peaked all the way back in 2001 and the migration started after 1996 when the US government cut off the money spigot for PR. They went from a welfare baby of the US to something even worse - they aren't independent, so they don't have autonomy but they also aren't a state, thus they can't vote and effectively have no representation. The best thing at this point would be to grant PR its independence and sign a Compact of Free Association with them, such as the USA has with the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, and Palau. PR is simply way too big to treat it like it's Guam II.
Looks like a steady drop of 30k to 70k until 2017 when there was sizable drop of 110k. I know central FL got a ton of PR hurricane refugees.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Looks like Utah is raising rates to register EVs and hybrids. However they are giving people the much more fair option to pay 1.5c per mile driven. I think that all registrations should move to this model, as it is fair for everyone.

Utahns with EVs have an alternative. Instead of paying that flat fee, they can enroll in the pilot program that involves fitting a telematics device to the car. The device tracks the actual number of miles driven on Utah's roads. These are billed at a rate of 1.5c/mile, but only until the total equals whatever that year's registration fee for the vehicle would have been; participating in the pilot means you could pay less than you would otherwise, but Utah's Department of Transportation says that participants would not ever be charged more than that year's registration fee. The data will be collected by a contractor called Emovis,*which operates toll roads*around the US

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0...-oregon-and-utah-ask-evs-to-pay-for-road-use/

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The state is kicking bankruptcy down the road.
But its going to happen.
Unless some changes are made Illinois won't be allowed to declare bankruptcy. They are making lots of revenue now off of marijuana sales that just started at the beginning of the year. There's no way though that pot alone can rid Illinois of $50.8 billion debt.

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,040 Posts
They made $3.2mil the first day and over $13mil the first week and it's not going to stop, even drips help fill the pail.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
They made $3.2mil the first day and over $13mil the first week and it's not going to stop, even drips help fill the pail.
They need to up their system, by upping production and letting more retail outlets sell it. Tobacco stores and Quickmarts are just made for marijuana sales. I heard too that marijuana is in short supply. Just think of all the farmers going bankrupt now who can fill the void through pot sales. https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannab...eed-shortages-dispensaries-chicago-regulators

·
Registered
46,024 Posts
They need to up their system, by upping production and letting more retail outlets sell it. Tobacco stores and Quickmarts are just made for marijuana sales. I heard too that marijuana is in short supply. Just think of all the farmers going bankrupt now who can fill the void through pot sales. https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannab...eed-shortages-dispensaries-chicago-regulators
Farmers going bankrupt? They've gotten $28 billion from Trump to buy their silence over the last 2 years. That is more than double the auto industry bailout in 2008 and the farmers don't have to pay it back like the auto industry mostly has. :screwy:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Unless some changes are made Illinois won't be allowed to declare bankruptcy. They are making lots of revenue now off of marijuana sales that just started at the beginning of the year. There's no way though that pot alone can rid Illinois of $50.8 billion debt.
I saw somewhere that the real debt is over 100B now.

The pot tax, gas tax, property tax (which they promised relief but hasn't shown up yet), and whatever new taxes they generated since fatty took office will never come close to paying down that debt.

The state constitution requires an amendment to adjust the state worker pension plan.
People fleeing the state because of outrageous taxes

But citizens here (mainly Chicago) keep voting Democrats into power and they keep kicking the can down the road.

At some point, the money won't be there. If im a state worker, i wouldnt be counting on that pension to pay me through retirement. Illinois can't print money so then what? This has been a problem for 30 years but no politician is signing up to do anything. Well, Rauner tried.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The one place to buy legal pot here had to close after 1 week due to shortages.
Everyday hundreds stood in line to buy it and the line went down the street.

Its nuts.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Stock Options

Checking in and it looks like this thread has went to pot. I think I'll add Oreos, Doritos and Mountain Dew to my portfolio, I predict a rise in sales :laugh:

Edit: to my TCL peeps in Illinois, holy hell, wish you the best, what a mess up there :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It's popping up in this thread, and it's the third time I've seen it.

There's a very weird right-wing talking point about weed taxes. You'd have to be plugged into a particular partisan ecosystem to develop it, and I'm not sure where the origin is. Alex Jones, if he's still alive? Limbaugh (ditto)?

As soon as you hear someone ranting about weed taxes, you know they're :screwy:

I was out mountain biking in San Diego near my parents' place, maybe 2 years ago? I ran across another guy on a bike, and he asked me if "they" were at the bottom of the hill. I asked him what he meant. He said "the police" (or parks, or someone). He said "they" come after people for mountain biking on these trails. I say "oh, that's weird, I haven't ever seen any signs saying it's not allowed, but I don't live here." He starts going off on some rant about how "they" come after people for biking on the trails, even though it's allowed, they tell you it's not, because they don't want you there. "They" don't want you using the land, "they" just want you to sit at home, keep paying your taxes that keep going up. "They" just want to legalize POT (he practically spit the word out) just so they have one more thing to tax you on. He was an otherwise really normal-seeming late 40something guy. I backed away slowly :laugh:

It happened again, maybe a year later. I was out at a dirt bike camp, and the proprietor is clearly on the conservative side, no problem with that, he's a great guy, seems well informed, plugged into his community. In a random conversation about god-knows-what, he just drops out of nowhere how "they" just legalize POT because all "they" care about is your tax money.

So, I'm not sure where these people are getting their rants from, but POT == "THE MAN taxing you" is clearly some really strange ideology being generated and distributed from .... somewhere.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It's popping up in this thread, and it's the third time I've seen it.

There's a very weird right-wing talking point about weed taxes. You'd have to be plugged into a particular partisan ecosystem to develop it, and I'm not sure where the origin is. Alex Jones, if he's still alive? Limbaugh (ditto)?

As soon as you hear someone ranting about weed taxes, you know they're :screwy:

I was out mountain biking in San Diego near my parents' place, maybe 2 years ago? I ran across another guy on a bike, and he asked me if "they" were at the bottom of the hill. I asked him what he meant. He said "the police" (or parks, or someone). He said "they" come after people for mountain biking on these trails. I say "oh, that's weird, I haven't ever seen any signs saying it's not allowed, but I don't live here." He starts going off on some rant about how "they" come after people for biking on the trails, even though it's allowed, they tell you it's not, because they don't want you there. "They" don't want you using the land, "they" just want you to sit at home, keep paying your taxes that keep going up. "They" just want to legalize POT (he practically spit the word out) just so they have one more thing to tax you on. He was an otherwise really normal-seeming late 40something guy. I backed away slowly :laugh:

It happened again, maybe a year later. I was out at a dirt bike camp, and the proprietor is clearly on the conservative side, no problem with that, he's a great guy, seems well informed, plugged into his community. In a random conversation about god-knows-what, he just drops out of nowhere how "they" just legalize POT because all "they" care about is your tax money.

So, I'm not sure where these people are getting their rants from, but POT == "THE MAN taxing you" is clearly some really strange ideology being generated and distributed from .... somewhere.
They. Them. "The Other"

I wrote way too much pseudo-social science **** about this in college. It comes from conservative think tank groups planting the seeds in impressionable people via media outlets/social media/memes/news to turn them against the bureaucracy in order to convince them to elect candidates who will continue to dismantle the regulatory state and encourage the system to devolve into a capitalist utopia where corporations are people and business can run roughshod and rampant over anything and everything. See also: Atlas Shrugged. It's a power fantasy that goads the everyman into thinking that they too are this bold, brash, businessman who knows the score and runs the show. Not surprisingly, most of them are not that man.

My pet theory is that these libertarian/aforementioned types were real scared of mean mom and drunk dad, which is why they are the first to reject authority and, for some reason, also the first to fall in line and lick boots.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts