VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some thoughts:

• It amazes me that people lower their cars here. The roads are terrible. I guess if it's all you know it's all you know. I did it when I was here, but I would not if I came back
  • I am in Jamaica Queens. Lots of black immigrants. We love Nissan. I have seen more modded G37s/Q50s in 3 days than I've seen in 7 years down south. And I owned one!!!
  • Been seeing some more expensive toys. A couple of M3s, Q8s and an AMG GT63S. People here like to show off and I fully support it.
  • I thought I was still an aggressive driver, but apparently I've gone soft. NYers are on another level I can't maintain.
  • All the roads feel like 2:3 scale
All in all a fun trip. I miss NYC more than I thought, but I can't move back.

^CF spoiler on a bone stock G37. Nissan FM sedans are like the Toyota Camrys of NYC enthusiasts

^Pretty sure those are not stock... maybe off an FX?

^Bye bye fillings.

Attachments

·
Registered
S2000
7,587 Posts
Fun stuff.

I was just in Bushwick and saw some gems too. No pics, but found a clean R32 Skyline, very modded EG Civic sedan with what looked like ITBs, and a minty E30 iX sedan.

Official car in this area was the 3rd gen Odyssey, you'd think Honda was still producing them by the amount I saw.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Surely being a car enthusiast is harder in NYC than just about anywhere else in the US:
  • Terrible roads
  • Difficult or impossible to have your own garage to wrench in
  • Harsh winters
  • Expensive & difficult parking

I really respect anyone who is so passionate and committed that they can make the hobby work in that environment. Good on them. Stuff like that old Sentra really amazes me, that either represents a lot of time and effort to keep something in that condition while street parked in NYC, or they just bought it from somewhere else recently :)

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fun stuff.

I was just in Bushwick and saw some gems too. No pics, but found a clean R32 Skyline, very modded EG Civic sedan with what looked like ITBs, and a minty E30 iX sedan.

Official car in this area was the 3rd gen Odyssey, you'd think Honda was still producing them by the amount I saw.
Yea Puerto Ricans/Dominicans are Honda obsessed. I have a video of a slammed CR-V I prob should have took a picture of instead. Back in my CB7 Accord days they had the best builds here.

Surely being a car enthusiast is harder in NYC than just about anywhere else in the US:
  • Terrible roads
  • Difficult or impossible to have your own garage to wrench in
  • Harsh winters
  • Expensive & difficult parking

I really respect anyone who is so passionate and committed that they can make the hobby work in that environment. Good on them.
When you grow up here and it's all you know, you don't even think about all that. It's just like, "I need a car to get around, and I wanna customize it". Mix in NYC's hyper competitive culture, tight + small neighborhoods and you get some cool stuff. As I type this I can see a minty modded E46 M3 up the block, and I hear what sounds like motorcycles accelerating. We make do :)

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Nice! how long are you there for? I'm might go to visit my aunt in Brooklyn and my buddy in Queens in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! how long are you there for? I'm might go to visit my aunt in Brooklyn and my buddy in Queens in the next few days.
I'm leaving tomorrow. Just the right amount of time. Should be back in the fall but we will stay in the city then

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
6,566 Posts
Interesting, makes sense, thanks for sharing. 🍺

• It amazes me that people lower their cars here. The roads are terrible. I guess if it's all you know it's all you know. I did it when I was here, but I would not if I came back
Lolol exactly. We've got a bit more space, but cities upstate have equally poor roads and I only drove slammed cars for many years. Basically an "I can, so I will" situation. Best part is, once I got an SUV a couple years ago which now takes the brunt of it, my dedicated-fun car is even lower. There's a bunch of roads I can't even turn down, but as you know one nice thing about the city environment is there's enough different ways to get anywhere that detours can be improvised.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
When you grow up here and it's all you know, you don't even think about all that. It's just like, "I need a car to get around, and I wanna customize it". Mix in NYC's hyper competitive culture, tight + small neighborhoods and you get some cool stuff. As I type this I can see a minty modded E46 M3 up the block, and I hear what sounds like motorcycles accelerating. We make do :)
But are you even following me? Harlem Wheels

Also Bethany Christian Church is in my hood! You're in Harlem?

Edit I'm dumb, I just saw you typed Jamaica.

Yes. Nissans have taken over. Nissans and Chargers.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I get that same feeling every time I go back to visit my fam on Staten Island. Terrible roads, insane congestion - I don't know how enthusiasts do it. Although there is more off street parking and homes with garages.

I was in Brooklyn a few weeks ago for a wedding - Park Slope area - and what really got me were the number of scooters and eBikes. I mean I get it - they really make perfect sense for getting around the neighborhoods, but they were all over and while eating dinner outside at the corner of 8th and Prospect Ave, I witnessed many close calls between those scooter/ebikes and cars.

Also saw a Lambo Gallardo, a new 911 Turbo, and a Rolls Cullinan - just can't figure out where residents keeps those kinds of cars.

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Honestly, I dunno about "burns bright." I think it's obviously dwindling and potentially dying. First of all, the Yuppies who originate from Minnesota and have 2 kids and live in a brownstone who are replacing people like us aren't running around in dropped Passats. The cars you're seeing are from the outer boroughs (although decreasingly) and Jersey/Long Island.

Second, anyone who does still live in these places who are into cars (think like around New Hyde Park, etc.) are being inundated with automated speed/red-light camera enforcement and general over-policing of traffic.

It's just very different than it was say 20 years ago...

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But are you even following me? Harlem Wheels

Also Bethany Christian Church is in my hood! You're in Harlem?

Edit I'm dumb, I just saw you typed Jamaica.

Yes. Nissans have taken over. Nissans and Chargers.
I was up at Mt Soynoy (for the family thing... all good now).... but home base is in Queens. Anyway, you got my follow, great stuff (y)

Nissans have always been in the mix though. ~20 years ago we were all beasting for anything with a VQ35 in it. It's our heritage... terrible transmissions and all

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
It’s very interesting how where you come from influences your car culture and views on it. Growing up, I lived in a small New England town near the CT coast, and all the roads were winding backroads. So i naturally fell in love with small, quick cars that didn’t need to be fast. My S2000 is the perfect embodiment of this, it would be fantastic on the right roads I grew up with.

Then I moved to the Chicago suburbs, and everything is flat, wide, and all the turns are 90*. Growing up I could never understand why anyone would want an SUV or pickup; now I live here and see why they are perfect for middle America. And my S2000 barely gets driven.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Also saw a Lambo Gallardo, a new 911 Turbo, and a Rolls Cullinan - just can't figure out where residents keeps those kinds of cars.
Long Island. Or in their garage. There are plenty of flats that have deeded parking spots available for purchase.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
6,566 Posts
It’s very interesting how where you come from influences your car culture and views on it. Growing up, I lived in a small New England town near the CT coast, and all the roads were winding backroads. So i naturally fell in love with small, quick cars that didn’t need to be fast. My S2000 is the perfect embodiment of this, it would be fantastic on the right roads I grew up with.

Then I moved to the Chicago suburbs, and everything is flat, wide, and all the turns are 90*. Growing up I could never understand why anyone would want an SUV or pickup; now I live here and see why they are perfect for middle America. And my S2000 barely gets driven.
For sure. We all know how popular small cars are in Europe. I kind of just took it for granted until I was the dedicated driver of my Dad's G30 5-series Euro delivery. Manageable, but the extra hassle clearly outweighed the ride and roominess, e.g., letting passengers out, backing in, and then climbing into the back seat to get out of the car because the garage pillar is in the way. You'd have to have one because you want one there.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I was up at Mt Soynoy (for the family thing... all good now).... but home base is in Queens. Anyway, you got my follow, great stuff (y)

Nissans have always been in the mix though. ~20 years ago we were all beasting for anything with a VQ35 in it. It's our heritage... terrible transmissions and all
Very cool. I had no idea you grew up here! Definitely forges a unique kind of enthusiast.

I distinctly remember the G35s and 37s being unleashed in this area of the country when I was in high school and how much it changed the car scene around here. Same with the Evo and SRT-4 when they first showed up. Clearly the Nissan/Infiniti contingent lasted much longer which kinda surprises me now that I think about it.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
what really got me were the number of scooters and eBikes… I witnessed many close calls between those scooter/ebikes and cars.
It’s only getting worse now that bike sharing and ebike rentals are lowering the barrier to entry. It use to be you had to be a total badass to even think about riding a bike in NYC. Now practically anyone can. And the results are pretty predictable. Wear a helmet folks.

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Growing up I could never understand why anyone would want an SUV or pickup; now I live here and see why they are perfect for middle America.
Not just middle America, but family life, homeownership etc. Even if you never leave where you grew up, situations can change.

But yea, geography def shapes what makes sense, which is why I think a lot of people end up talking past each other on what makes for a good enthusiast car. With NYC's half scale roads I can def see why my old CB7 Accords were so much fun. But in the long, wide open, hilly roads of NC, more power is needed for driving enjoyment. Horses for courses.

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts

PS, we know each other, almost guaranteed. 100% we're only at max 1 degree separated. I keep wanting to drop who I think you are or who I think you know. I'm 40 and grew up in Bayside.

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, I dunno about "burns bright." I think it's obviously dwindling and potentially dying. First of all, the Yuppies who originate from Minnesota and have 2 kids and live in a brownstone who are replacing people like us aren't running around in dropped Passats. The cars you're seeing are from the outer boroughs (although decreasingly) and Jersey/Long Island.

Second, anyone who does still live in these places who are into cars (think like around New Hyde Park, etc.) are being inundated with automated speed/red-light camera enforcement and general over-policing of traffic.

It's just very different than it was say 20 years ago...
How are you defining over-policing? I'd say things were underpoliced... it's not possible for human police to keep up with all the traffic, and at times the discretion they use leaves much to be desired.

I'm on the border of Queens/LI so pretty much as outer borough as it gets, and aside from there just being more traffic (all the houses that were single family in my childhood are now multifamily), it pretty much feels the same. Haven't seen any cops outside of accident clean ups. Maybe it's just your specific neighborhood but towards LI it all seems the same.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts