VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
PS, we know each other, almost guaranteed. 100% we're only at max 1 degree separated. I keep wanting to drop who I think you are or who I think you know. I'm 40 and grew up in Bayside.
I think it's a few more degrees than that. I'm turning 38 this year and most of my NYC friends are my age or younger. I do have some friends who went to Francis Lewis but they're like 3-4 years younger than you

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
It’s only getting worse now that bike sharing and ebike rentals are lowering the barrier to entry. It use to be you had to be a total badass to even think about riding a bike in NYC. Now practically anyone can. And the results are pretty predictable. Wear a helmet folks.
Recently a couple of BMX riders from Hawaii visited me and my friend. MAN those guys were like little ducklings in traffic trying to keep up with us. The only thing scarier than driving here is riding a bike here.

I say this as a man who is currently trying to train his fiance for her driving test next week.

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Recently a couple of BMX riders from Hawaii visited me and my friend. MAN those guys were like little ducklings in traffic trying to keep up with us. The only thing scarier than driving here is riding a bike here.
Biking in NYC is probably a top 3 thing I miss about it. I was the wheelie king back in the BMX days. Then when I moved to the city I was commuting by bike. So many memories bombing down Lex and back up 3rd Ave on a fixie. Swimming in the sea of cabs. I think when we come back I'm gonna rent a bike.

Reactions: TheDarkEnergist

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I lived in NYC for about 10 years and the car scene was surprisingly good (for the roads and the storage space) and always pretty eclectic. There is a huge JDM contingent that meets up in Harlem, lots of super/hyper cars, and vintage stuff too. Seeing wall to wall supercars driving through Times Square will never get old. I did a few drives in the R8 through the city during the pandemic when the roads were empty and it was great besides the massive potholes.

·
Registered
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,829 Posts
I think it's a few more degrees than that. I'm turning 38 this year and most of my NYC friends are my age or younger. I do have some friends who went to Francis Lewis but they're like 3-4 years younger than you
It would depend on which crews you ran with, honestly. In HS, I was with the American muscle-types who listened to grunge, metal and punk.

I had a pretty strong-ish group of friends your age in Francis Lewis cause a slew of our friends that grade got caught smoking weed and expelled and shuttled to Franny Lou. Most of my friends graduated by '00 though.

If you knew anyone who was on that boat with the fatal wreck in the bay out of Bayside Marina, then there's your probable 1 degree of separation. I dated the sibblings of many of the people who were on that boat. By the Asian car thing I was thinking the mutual connection would have been someone named Johnny W who was obsessed and very active with Nissans but he was more of a Flushing dude.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Biking in NYC is probably a top 3 thing I miss about it. I was the wheelie king back in the BMX days. Then when I moved to the city I was commuting by bike. So many memories bombing down Lex and back up 3rd Ave on a fixie. Swimming in the sea of cabs. I think when we come back I'm gonna rent a bike.
Seriously one of the best feelings in the world once you get your legs. Bunny hopping downed trash cans and cones, skitching on trucks and cabs. Absolutely thrilling.

To keep this car-related - I rode up past this guy once and nearly ate **** trying to turn around to see if in fact, yes...its a RHD Benz in NYC.

Double Mint P

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It would depend on which crews you ran with, honestly. In HS, I was with the American muscle-types who listened to grunge, metal and punk.

I had a pretty strong-ish group of friends your age in Francis Lewis cause a slew of our friends that grade got caught smoking weed and expelled and shuttled to Franny Lou. Most of my friends graduated by '00 though.

If you knew anyone who was on that boat with the fatal wreck in the bay out of Bayside Marina, then there's your probable 1 degree of separation. I dated the sibblings of many of the people who were on that boat. By the Asian car thing I was thinking the mutual connection would have been someone named Johnny W who was obsessed and very active with Nissans but he was more of a Flushing dude.
Yea my friends all graduated in '02-03, and we listened to rap/R&B. Most of my friends at FL were female friends of a girl I dated. We were all import boys- Nissans (though I was the odd dude out with my Honda)

·
Registered
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,829 Posts
Yea my friends all graduated in '02-03, and we listened to rap/R&B. Most of my friends at FL were female friends of a girl I dated. We were all import boys- Nissans (though I was the odd dude out with my Honda)
Near miss then. Neighborhood has changed. My favorite moment of the past few years was when my Korean friend legit bitched at me (Italian) about Chinese people pushing them out of the neighborhood without realizing the irony :D

Really the most depressing thing is the prices of real estate, need $1,000,000+ to get into Bayside.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I moved to Brooklyn and then Queens from living in the Greater Toronto area of Canada for most of my life. I could never understand why people even bother modifying their cars here, given how bad the roads / parking is and the likely hood of getting your car damaged.

When I bought my first home in Queens, I absolutely wanted a private driveway. I also at that point had already owned 3 Nissan Maximas, G35, G37 and then a Q50 so I fit the auto demographic of South Queens lol. I managed to squeeze my Challenger Scat Pack in the yard as well as other vehicles.

I now live in Nassau County, Long Island with a nice 2 car garage, but still have the house in Queens. I hate driving through the boroughs.

My former Q50 at my Queens house:

My ex's Audi and my former Mustang in my backyard:

Reactions: JOHNS92JETTA

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I also at that point had already owned 3 Nissan Maximas, G35, G37 and then a Q50 so I fit the auto demographic of South Queens lol.
I have never met you, but I feel like I know you lmao.

Every area has its own little flavor. Uptown does the Honda thing. Haven't been to Flatbush but I remember all the yardies loved old BMWs (E34 was king). Other parts of Brooklyn love Chargers. South Queens has always loved Nissan. All these little subcultures. Then you have everybody mixing it up. I miss the hell out of it

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
I love car spotting in NYC but never understood how they dealt with the roads. Driving a lowered car there just seemed like it'd be torture. Last time I was there I was driving around a BMW X1 and even that felt like it was getting a workout driving around Brooklyn.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have never met you, but I feel like I know you lmao.

Every area has its own little flavor. Uptown does the Honda thing. Haven't been to Flatbush but I remember all the yardies loved old BMWs (E34 was king). Other parts of Brooklyn love Chargers. South Queens has always loved Nissan. All these little subcultures. Then you have everybody mixing it up. I miss the hell out of it
I noticed the yardies out in LI love BMWs as well. Noticed all the dominicans and ricans in the BX love their Hondas.

Where did you move to from NYC?

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I noticed the yardies out in LI love BMWs as well. Noticed all the dominicans and ricans in the BX love their Hondas.

Where did you move to from NYC?
I didn't know they were out there in high concentrations. I moved to NC. Checks off all the boxes... But it's so bland

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
How do I resize a picture?
19,623 Posts
Love all this chit chat about the city. 👍

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,837 Posts
Loving this thread!

PS, we know each other, almost guaranteed. 100% we're only at max 1 degree separated. I keep wanting to drop who I think you are or who I think you know. I'm 40 and grew up in Bayside.
I definitely don't know either of you but I'm now 34 and grew up in Bayside/Bay Terrace before moving out to Nassau County in 98, so it's nice seeing all these familiar places being named!

I love car spotting in NYC but never understood how they dealt with the roads. Driving a lowered car there just seemed like it'd be torture. Last time I was there I was driving around a BMW X1 and even that felt like it was getting a workout driving around Brooklyn.
If it's all you've known, you adapt pretty quickly lol. Biggest change I noticed after moving to the PNW is how amazingly large the roads are and how nice they are. People who complain about road quality here have often never left the state it seems haha

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Alright so lets get down to brass tacks. Statute of limitations is over. Who used to go to the street races ~20 years ago? Hunts Point, Flatlands etc.? I used to go to Flatlands and I had a front row seat to someone throwing a beer bottle through the back window of a cop car. The next week they had speed bumps and rumble strips everywhere. Was fun while it lasted............

·
Registered
E39 M5, E46 325i Touring, F30 328dX Touring
3,918 Posts
always enjoy simple little sedans with your basic lower springs and wheels.

I'm pretty sure that CUV Infiniti has Tesla wheels on.

·
Registered
937 Posts
21 - 40 of 51 Posts