VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Alright so lets get down to brass tacks. Statute of limitations is over. Who used to go to the street races ~20 years ago? Hunts Point, Flatlands etc.? I used to go to Flatlands and I had a front row seat to someone throwing a beer bottle through the back window of a cop car. The next week they had speed bumps and rumble strips everywhere. Was fun while it lasted............
There was an old thread on here I can't seem to find it that had older videos of the racing that went on in the 80s. Wish I could find it because it was a great thread to read about.

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
always enjoy simple little sedans with your basic lower springs and wheels.

I'm pretty sure that CUV Infiniti has Tesla wheels on.
Aren't those Tesla Model X wheels?
You guys are right, and this is exactly the kind of whackadoodle stuff you see uptown.

I remember back in like '06 some dude did the first 5 lug swap on a CB7 Accord, and he had the 17s off the brand new Civic Si. You don't ask certain questions! (He was a Honda technician so I think it was all above board)

Reactions: Raguvian

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,837 Posts
Ha I missed this earlier but the red bagged Passat in the first post used to belong to a VW friend who lives on LI

·
Registered
831 Posts
I’m in Jersey City but go to Manhattan often for lodge. I do appreciate when I get back to the other side although our roads arent much better. Right on red is still in effect here. Booyah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,517 Posts

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Alright so lets get down to brass tacks. Statute of limitations is over. Who used to go to the street races ~20 years ago? Hunts Point, Flatlands etc.? I used to go to Flatlands and I had a front row seat to someone throwing a beer bottle through the back window of a cop car. The next week they had speed bumps and rumble strips everywhere. Was fun while it lasted............

So, this wasn't NYC, but just north. "Car Club" did and likely still does meet in Nanuet. I used to go every week. Myself and one other guy named Matt were the only two MR2 owners, everyone else in Hondas, Nissans, Evos, STIs, SRT-4s, Corvettes, etc.

After some discussion a Sentra SE-R and Prelude decide to race. I hop in the chase car (2001 Accord V6 IIRC) with otherMatt, which was owned and being driven by a guy named Pineapple.

We go down Route 304 to just north of Montvale NJ and turn around for these cars to line up. Matt gets out of the Accord (sitting behind the Prelude) and as soon as his hands go up, we get lit up from the other side of the divided highway by a State Trooper. The Prelude and Sentra take off, as does the other guy's chase car. Matt runs back to the accord and tries to open the door but its locked. He jumps head first into the passenger seat and we take off.

I immediately say "Go past this exit and to the next one, the cop has to drive another 1/2 mile to turn around" and someone else convinces him to take the FIRST exit, which is a 25mph sharp right turn.

With Matt pretty much still hanging halfway out of the passenger window, Pineapple misses the turn and understeers clean into a stop sign that shatters the windshield. We blow out both passenger tires and end up crashing nose first into a ditch. He backs out of the ditch somehow and limps the car to a nearby cul-de-sac with 2 flat tires, a completely shattered windshield and now a cracked radiator and smashed up front end leaking coolant. We all get out of the car to assess the situation and sure enough we see 4 sets of lights approaching.

We all run. Fast. In the dark. Some of us fell face first off the 6' retaining wall that was hiding in someone's backyard, others didn't. We all split up and get the hell out of there. As we're running through one person's very flat backyard we see spotlights and jump flat on our stomachs to avoid being seen. Real boot camp type **** as now we're prone crawling through muddy grass to avoid being arrested.

Now completely soaked in sweat, mud, and about 4.5 miles from my car my friend and I find a bus stop to wait at until we call a friend to come pick us up. It didn't matter that we weren't waiting for a bus because once the bus driver saw us he said "nuh uh" to both of us.

I have no idea what happened to Pineapple.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts