VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I booked tickets to arrive at LAX on 12/26 and depart on 1/2. We have never been to Cali, but are looking for stuff to do during the week.
We are planning on going to San Fran. for 2 days, but other than that, nothing solid.
We are not really into amusement parks, but shopping, art galleries, etc. would be cool.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

· Registered
12,980 Posts
Re: Im coming to Cali for a week - any ideas on what to do? (big bentley)

Where in LA are you staying?
You should check out the Getty Museum, check out the Rose Parade on New Years day and Old Town Pasadena will be going off, HUntington Library, Descano Gardens, LA Arborteum, Norton Simon Museum (Pasadena).
Shopping garment district in LA, Melrose Ave, Old Town Pasadena

· Registered
5,467 Posts
Re: (veetarded)

some great suggestions.
There's also the pier at Santa Monica, Venice Beach is always interesting to check out, might wanna see who's playing at the Disney concert hall, maybe the museum of tolerance (very powerful experience). Maybe go see the taping of your favorite show in Hollywood...

· Registered
5,467 Posts

old town pasadena - good shopping area
pier at santa monica - some shopping, some sites, etc
venice beach - "free speech" zone, lots of artists (also check out pier 39 in san fran for similar stuff)
museum of tolerance - museum for holocaust
disney hall - the newest concert hall here in town, multi-million venture. Very dope!

· Registered
12,980 Posts
Re: Im coming to Cali for a week - any ideas on what to do? (ImRollin)

Quote, originally posted by ImRollin »
Where in LA are you staying?
You should check out the Getty Museum, check out the Rose Parade on New Years day and Old Town Pasadena will be going off, HUntington Library, Descano Gardens, LA Arborteum, Norton Simon Museum (Pasadena).
Shopping garment district in LA, Melrose Ave, Old Town Pasadena

Getty Museum is really the premier museum in LA area. It also has an awesome view of the entire LA area.
Rose Parade (look it up) New Years Day parade for over 100 years. The bars in Old Town Pasadena have a steep cover charge on this night. Lots of restuarants and bars in that area as well as shopping. If you want specific ones let me know.
Huntington Library is a marvel as well. Great art, landscaping etc.
Descano Gardens and the LA arborteum are two garden/landscape type palces. The use to shot Fantasy Island at the Arborteum. Right across the street from it is the Santa Anita Race Track. (Horse racing).

· Banned
11,797 Posts

definately catch the rose parade! and if you come to visit matt, say hi to me too!
you could take a nice drive along the coast on PCH (pacific coast high way) and check out some nice scenery and there are cool little places to eat and little shops.
there is always sunset blvd in hollywood, its just cool to cruise down there and see the people and some famous older clubs and landmarks.
if you're into beer at all and are driving up to san francisco, a few hours north of l.a. in Paso Robles there is the Firestone brewery

· Registered
74 Posts
Re: Im coming to Cali for a week - any ideas on what to do? (ImRollin)

Quote, originally posted by ImRollin »

Just go to the one in Pasadena

Damn!! Roscoe's is the sh*t! The original is Hollywood, but Pasadena works too. Instant heart attack. Ain't nothin' like fried chicken and waffles.
Definitely do the Rose Parade. Hang out all night in Old Town Pasadena as mentioned above on New Year's eve and see the parade through bloodshot eyes in the morning. The place is a zoo. After the parade, then go to Roscoe's. Have a safe and fun time out here.

· Registered
22,765 Posts

don't know if it's been mentioned, but the drive down to san diego is really nice (about three hours with minimal traffic, expect traffic) and old town san diego is pretty cool. you should be able to find info in any search. the drive down the 5 from south OC into SD county is just beautiful.

· Registered
5,467 Posts
Re: Im coming to Cali for a week - any ideas on what to do? (kitty)

Quote, originally posted by kitty »
don't know if it's been mentioned, but the drive down to san diego is really nice (about three hours with minimal traffic, expect traffic) and old town san diego is pretty cool. you should be able to find info in any search. the drive down the 5 from south OC into SD county is just beautiful.

it takes me about 1.5 hours to get from my place in ontario to chula vista, which is the south part of SD... of course, this was on a weekend, and going just a touch faster than the speed limit...
but i wouldn't say it takes more than 2 hours as long as you don't go during rush hour!
Excuse Kitty, she's not from 'round here

I would consider SD as another trip... you need at least a few days to see it all. hitting SF and LA in a week is a huge task already, i'd save SD for another trip.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.