VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

I recently picked up a new A3 and wanted to introduce myself. I got the car at the beginning of the month and have been loving it so far. The dsg and gen3 combo are very peppy, and I cannot wait to enjoy the journey of ownership with her. It is my first Audi, and my first new car. So I am thrilled to start this process from day one. I have been on the forums since '07, and have fallen in love with vw/audi cars. I met my fiance and numerous friends through the hobby and community, and I am happy to start expanding it with this car.

I will use this thread to track my ownership process and any changes to the car. In the past I tend to be detailed and as informative as possible with modding/customizing. So I hope to continue that here and contribute as much as possible. I have been lurking around the A3/S3 MQB forum a bit so far and like what I have seen - so let's keep it going.

Some breif history on myself - First car was a '01 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, then a mkiv jetta 1.8t, and the last car was a B6 3.6 4motion Passat wagon. I will miss the wagon a lot, but the A3 has been a wonderful replacement so far.

Prior threads:
Jetta
Passat

The car:
- 2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro, Premium
- Lotus grey, black interior
- Cold weather, Aluminum style, black headliner, sport springs, and ipod interface

And some introductory pics. Was able to clean the car and snap a few pics afterward.

The day we got her:
Family by devinbarnas, on Flickr

and after wash pics:
Welcome Home by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Flipper by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Dey 17s by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Nose by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Night Light by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Dupa by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Only mod so far - black washer fluid cap (carried over from the wagon)
Gen3 x2 by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Potential by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Interior:
Fast Forward by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Pit Controls by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Bob the Knob by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Brand New by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
-Devin

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I've watched you bring a lot of unique ideas and knowledgable threads to the community over the years be it swapping parts between models or complete one off ideas so it will be fun watching you start all over on something so new to you and the rest of us! Good luck and show us what you got! 😉

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Can't wait to see what you have in store for the car Devin.

Did you end up selling the Neuspeed wheels?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Matt. The ideas are already sprouting and consuming my mind, trust me.

I still have the Neuspeeds for sale (You want em?Make me an offer! :D )

I will probably test fit them on this car to see if I like it, but I don't like running wheels without suspension and am not ready to jump into buying suspension so soon. A lot of 8V owners are running 19's on their cars and it doesn't look bad, but I still think I am more interested in an 18" based on the size of the car, and my preferene for lighter setups. I weighed one of the current OEM 17's pictured on the car, and its 45# combined, so its already 2lbs lighter than the Neuspeed 19's are - while still light for a 19 I don't want to go up. If they never sell, they may end up on the car, but Id prefer to sell them and get something newer.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Gotcha. And no, I picked up a set of Audi Q5 wheels and jumped on the closed out ZII's haha. I wanted the OEM+ look again. I just figured they'd probably look really good on the A3. I'm not sure how the A3's are, but I know the VWR springs on Mk7 GTIs and R's lower a decent amount. But you'll end up with coilovers I imagine.

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,810 Posts
:wave::popcorn:

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like this project is going no where.........:laugh:

Just following your lead ;)

Posting from Japan right now (Kyoto) - so many incredible audis and cars in general here. Including a papaya s3 hatch! B8 rs4 avant, copious w211 e63/55 amg wagons, lots of my personal dream cars. When I get home though, I will start with a debadge in the rear - excluding the rings, and some vcds tweaks. I got my cable in right before I left, but had no time to plug it in. Also I have some clear laminx headlight film to put on to try and preserve these lenses from the get go. My old passat was starting to discolor and it was breaking my heart. Not a very exciting start but at least it's something! Get off my back Chris!

Also hoping to get a baseline 1/4 mile pass in the next two weeks, if I can sell the wheels I will start looking into software.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
The key to preserving the headlights is keeping the car garaged and constantly waxing them. My headlights have 148k on them now and aside from rock chips and pitting, they're not yellow or faded at all. My car did use to sit outside all day at work. Now it happens to be garaged a lot both at home and our garage at work, but keeping wax on them is the key.

What's out in Japan? Vacation or work?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice purchase! Love the color and wheels. Hope you keep it stock.
So one can get the sport suspension on the base model? Or did you get the springs as an accessory? I like the lowered look with the smaller wheels.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Milk - good to know. I already have the film so it will go on. But I will start waxing the cc's since that's the car that stays outside. In Japan for vacation. Tokyo first and now Kyoto, awesome place, we are loving it.

Fizz - the premium trim is available with sport suspension as an option. $250 I think the add-on price was. The description in the buyers guide and audi brochures indicate a 15mm drop, and stiffer rate, but they don't disclose the spring rate. Also, ECS lists three rear sway bars on their website, a base 19, a 20mm for "sport suspension", and a 21mm for the S3. I don't know if the sport suspension includes this 20mm rsb so I am going to get under the car and cross-ref the part #'s. Since audi calls it suspension and not just springs, I am hoping that ecs is right and the $250 option got me both. The same goes for the front sway bar. 23 vs 24mm.

Thanks for the post, the car won't stay stock but won't stray too far from oem plus. Similar to my passat, the modding will progress slowly. I have a weird relationship with the 17's. They look cheap and are small but at the same time I wanted a bare bones Quattro a3, and I like that this trim is available with them. They will make for the perfect winter set regardless. And they are easy to clean. I already laid down some wheel wax on them so cleaning them is quick and painless so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I didnt want to start modding the car a lot either. APR intake, billy boat downpipe, and APR stage 2+ tune and the car is perfect. SOOOOOOOOO much more enjoyable now and still retains stock drive ability.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt want to start modding the car a lot either. APR intake, billy boat downpipe, and APR stage 2+ tune and the car is perfect. SOOOOOOOOO much more enjoyable now and still retains stock drive ability.
I don't doubt that, haha.

Does the billy boat dp mate to stock catback? From the pictures I saw on moddedeuros I think it was, it was hard to determine.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to Travis for the help, the first few VCDS tweaks were a success! Was able to make the seatbelt warning inactive, needle staging on startup, and oil temp in all DIS menus. Next challenge will be to make the MMI screen not pop up as a default. I find myself at night closing it a lot, and would like to have it pop up only when I ask it to. Hopefully this is possible, need to do some digging.

Gauge Cluster Video

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Had some time after work today to jack the car up and look at the sway bar(s). What I found was to my surprise/liking.

Rear Sway Bar Part #: 5Q0 511 305 BE, approx. 21.8mm OD at the center of the car.
Front Sway Bar Part #: 5Q0 411 303 R, approx. 24.4mm OD near the front endlink.​

According to ECS's website this means my sport-suspension A3 premium Quattro has the Audi S3 RSB, and Sport suspension FSB. I would have though my car would have the 20mm bar, but not the "BE" bar. If anyone reading this has an S3 and upgraded their RSB, I would love for them to post the part # of their stock bar to see if mine is truly the same. Same goes for any non-sport suspension A3's.

ECS Link to A3 Sway Bars

***EDIT: I have since confirmed that the bars on my car, are indeed identical to OEM S3 Bars. Thanks to Rick for confirming part #'s for me***

Since I had the car up on a jack - I also decided to test fit the Neuspeeds I have for sale. 19x8, et 45. They fit quite nicely, and with a drop I think they would look pretty good. I didn't quite fall in love, but I didn't quite hate it either. At this time I will still keep them for sale, but if they ever go on it won't be without suspension.

Rse test fit by devinbarnas, on Flickr

Rse test fit by devinbarnas, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 110 Posts