VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself to the Passat community, as I have just purchased a 2008 Passat Wagon. I have been researching the car for about 1-2 months, and have even done a bit of posting in the B6 forums. I am not new to the vw thing, ive been to 3 h20's, owned and still own my big turbo, shaved bay jetta mkiv since late 2007, and am with my beautiful g/f who also owns a mkiv gti. I try to learn as much as I can and I have met some great people through this hobby. I dont plan on stopping anytime soon, and im hoping to expand my relations on to you guys. Most of you I've talked to have already been extremely helpful, so thank you. Moving on to the car...

I have always had a soft spot for vw wagons and Audi Avants, idk what it is, but their shape has such a nice set of lines and sporty look to it when executed well. Once I saw how affordable these things are second hand now, I started to dig deeper and got hooked.

Last Saturday, after checking out a local wagon, I drove up to Madison Wisconsin and test drove, then purchased my new baby...

She is a 2008 Wagon, 3.6L 4mo. Sport seats, Alum trim, 18 Samarkands, shift paddles, parking assist. All stock options, and it is Certified Pre-Owned vw. Came with floormatts, monster matts, gorilla gear, and a full size spare. Brand new tires and brakes too to top it off. So far I cannot get enough of this thing...

The driving experience in this blew me away. The transmission and powerband are smooth and strong, and the car barely feels like a wagon when you are driving it. No terrible blind spots, no heavy washy feel to the steering. All I could say is "wow" as I drove it home from the dealer. My favorite part of this car is the power + sound of the 3.6, and the interior quality/fit+finish. At night is a real mood enhancer, and has made driving enjoyable for me again.

My goal is to keep this car at an OEM plus level, with certain mods that represent my personal style and need. Its my dialy, my commuter, my winter car, and my hauler. But that doesnt mean its gonna be beat on or neglected. This is my new baby.

My plans are to start with small things. Tint, euroswitch, hr springs, some euro goodies, and possibly chip and suitcase delete to start. Down the road id love to go with votex valence, and possibly coils or air supsension. Right now, I cant stop enjoying this car.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for updates. I will most likely debadge the rear hatch tonight and get rid of this hideous dealer license frame(s)

-Dev :heart: :thumbup:

Official Mod list: (Updated 11/1/14)

Engine/Performance:
- United Motorsports 3.6 FSI Engine software
- OEM 06-07 Dual stage Intake manifold swap, painted matteblack
- AFE drop-in with modified airbox
- 034 Motorsports density-line subframe inserts (dogbone)
- Swaintech coated manifolds
- R32 catless downpipes (pre-cat delete) wrapped
- Removed suitcase/center muffler, oem twin resonators, oem y-pipe
- Custom cat-back exhaust by trexturk, magnaflow mufflers

Suspension/Chassis:
- Neuspeed rse14, 19x8 with falken Azeni fk453
- HPA SHS Coilovers
- Whiteline Anti-lift kit
- Whiteline LCA and Rear trail-arm bushings
- Tyrolsport deadset subframe kit
- Whiteline Adjustable FSB endlinks
- 034 Density line upper strut mounts

Braking:
- Hawk Ceramic Pads (F)
- USP SS brake lines

Interior Modifications:
- OEM Euro switch
- OEM Euro cupholder
- LED interior bulbs (white)

Exterior/Lighting:
- 20% window tint
- OEM Votex front lip/valence ~paintmatched~
- OEM Side skirts ~paintmatched~
- OEM 4mo rear valence ~paintmatched~
- OEM door moldings ~paintmatched~
- NAMO glass rear wiper plug
- Debadged
- Base model grill swap
- 3.5" Angled, double rolled exhaust tips
- OEM Euro Projector foglights
- "Skyline" tailight mod
- L.E.D. license plate lights and puddle lights
- OEM highline polished roof rails
- Gruvenparts billet dipstick ~machined finish~

Other/Miscellaneous:
- VCDS: window control w/ fob
- VCDS: seat belt warning, TPMS delete, independent foglights
- Custom/Extended rear O2 wiring harness
- Hardwired GPS cable

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome to the B6 club! She look beautiful! I see that you are in Lake Zurich, I am in downtown Palatine and do most of my grocery/target shopping in LZ. You will love the car, I'm sure. I love my 07 (minus the costant repairs to known issues). I have been taking all my VWs to Fox Valley on Golf since moving to IL 4 years ago. I took my 04 Jetta, 08 Rabbit, and now the Passat there. They are a top notch dealer, I always get great service. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, If you ever wanna meet up for a photoshoot lmk! My g/f and I love meeting local dubbers of all ages.

This car was oroginally bought at Fox Valley, and was sold to VW of Madison where I got it. I usually use autobarn, but I have a friend who is a tech at FV. So I will definitely bring it to him since he knows these cars very well.

thanks for the compliment on the camera work. It was hard keeping the raindrops off the lense tonight haha.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Awesome, If you ever wanna meet up for a photoshoot lmk! My g/f and I love meeting local dubbers of all ages.

This car was oroginally bought at Fox Valley, and was sold to VW of Madison where I got it. I usually use autobarn, but I have a friend who is a tech at FV. So I will definitely bring it to him since he knows these cars very well.

thanks for the compliment on the camera work. It was hard keeping the raindrops off the lense tonight haha.
Let me know brother... Always up for a meet and greet. I like the hot dog place on main and old rand.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the madness :) Thats a beautiful wagon and I really like the Samarkands on it!! :thumbup: I live in Mount Prospect so hopefully Ill see you around and get to see that thing in person :)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the madness :) Thats a beautiful wagon and I really like the Samarkands on it!! :thumbup: I live in Mount Prospect so hopefully Ill see you around and get to see that thing in person :)
Apparently we are getting hotdogs soon :D those pictures of the car in my post are taken about 400ft away from the aforementioned hot dog joint. haha

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
great looking car

:thumbup: great choice man. car looks great. you're going to love the VR6 even more after you add a couple of miles to the car.
enjoy it :beer:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nice wagon!!
I think I have browsed through your Jetta thread before and was quite impressed. I see a good future for this car then too :thumbup:

Welcome to this part of the forum :wave:

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome, thanks for looking through the jetta thread. I tried to give this thread a similar name, so that people could follow both cars if they so desire.

thanks again for everyone's welcome.

I have succesfully debaged the rear of this car the other night w/ my g/f. the rear looks much cleaner now. I also am now on my 3rd tank of gas. mpg for each was 23 and 21 mpg. does this soudn right to other 3.6 4mo drivers? mostly city.... I will try to get up some additional picturesof the car

Lastly, does anyone know how to get rid of this chrome hatch strip? Im assuming it is just adhered, but I dont want to pry it off adn find the paint coming with it, or 2 holes for bolts lol..

-Dev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice car, mate. Love the area that you live...Cheers!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks good Devin! I just bought my first Passat this week. Picked up a 2007 3.6 4motion. Black on black. Looking to do some of the upgrades that you stated as well. Looking forward to seeing your updates!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First mod

Hey guys,

Went out to a buddy's shop today and get my suitcase removed. I had a few ask to make a vid if I could. I will try to get some higher quality ones up later, but the blackberry will have to suffice for now. I personally love the sound. At idle, startup, and easy cruising it is almost identical to stock. G/f didnt even notice at first. Once you get into it a little more it becomes deeper and on decel, in sport or tiptronic mode you get some minor popping. But it sounds very raw, growl-like, and aggressive when you want it to. But reserved when you need to be low key.

Interior noise is also minimum. Great mod for what cost me almost nothing! Here are 3 videos. Sound quality isnt the best so I apologize. It reminds me of a r32 with open flapper, thats the eaiest way ot describe it.

Interior cruise/light throttle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/devinbarnas/6402528249/in/photostream/

Slow pull away (outside of car), about 1/2 throttle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/devinbarnas/6402517833/in/photostream/

And WOT pull away, outside of car:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/devinbarnas/6402522981/in/photostream/

Enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think 23mpg and 21 is pretty good for mostly city.

I wish I coulda scored a sport version. Luv the sport seats and the oem 18" wheels look great.

Congrats and looking forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats good to know, im going through gas like crazy, but Im also driving this thing all over. I have had it for 6 full days, and have put about 750-800 miles on it already. Plus the fuel gauge is very broad so its always moving but the increments are so small, its now wonder.

-dev

1 - 20 of 646 Posts