I stopped updating this thread - need to get back to it for sure. Will summarize here and work on a better update with pics.Great thread and build!
Couple of comments/questions:
1. FYI, the 2006 SE (Special Edition) came without seat heaters, so there are available black buttons for the dash for sure! Edit: link to these here: Blind Cover - Sabre (Black) - Priced Each
- THANK YOU, I am ordering these!
2. Nice score on the pole positions...drooling here! Any issues removing the interior trim to get to the headliner? I worry all those clips are going to break...
- NO issues thank god, I went very slow and did my best to pull in the correct directions. Lost a couple clips but did not break anything.
3. Curious as to why you've kept the little shark fin antenna so far. There are delete plugs available and you can save some weight there too (not much).
- Didnt think of deleting this, we do still use FM radio from time to time so I didnt see the need. Perhaps down the road should we delete more things.
4. Doing the A/C diagnostics, you can monitor engine coolant temp "live" on the A/C screen, seems like you have a bad thermostat (i have same issue and will be replacing soon)
- See below, I might try this in the future.
Keep it up! Love the car. Luis
-Thanks and sorry for taking forever to get back to this! Did follow you on IG though
- Installed TT 260/264 cams, ended up messing up the actuator housing during install and had to source a new/used one. Terrible sound on start up
- Got my cluster rebuilt at a local vendor who specializes in VAG stuff, the new screen looks perfect!
- Had custom SS cat-back exhaust welded up for the car, it is a resonated straight pipe and is LOUD. Sounds incredible but is definitely not for the faint of heart.
- Deleted the entire A/C system: Comp, Condensor, lines, new belt.
- Full rear bulb refresh, still getting a phantom brake light warning though (I think I need to check the taillight wiring)
- Full brake bleed using MOtul5.1 before WITW-'21
- Took the car to WITW'21!
- Had to replace the Fan Control module, the car was turning on without the key in the ignition. Some sort of internal short in the module was bridging the Switched B+ circuit with the Constant, and causing the entire car to "power up" without the key. It happened the night I got from from the 12hr drive at tail of the Dragon. Talk about luck. Took me nearly 2 weeks to isolate and identify this was the cause. New OEM FCM went in and the problem was solved.
Car is not getting driven much and will get the LB's back on for whatever short winter drives we put it through. I think the next big thing I will do is a 6spd swap. At WITW this year, the trans started making lots of noise after some highway miles. and the 1-2-3-4-5-6 in the dash started flashing at me. I think the trans went into some sort of limp mode. It never happened again, but for the rest of the trip and ever since, the car has felt really sluggish. No codes in the dsg or anything, but just feels lazy.
For the mods and weight reduction the car has, it should be faster. Don't get me wrong, I know im dealing with an NA VR6 so im not expecting a 12sec car here, but I think my trans is on its way out and pulling back power via tq management or power is being lost in the process. Nothing to prove this theory other than the car car barely pull away from stock R32's. With tune, cams, full exhaust, intake, and a really well cared for car, also about 300+ lbs of weight reduction most of which being unsprung. Something doesnt add up. I will get the car dyno'd before I commit to the swap, but if anyone has any ideas on what could be preventing this car from being a bit faster please share. I have tried a lot of sensors, diagnostics, air filter/fuel filter, etc. Nothing seems to make it feel as free as a mk4 r32 feels.
Anyway, I need to start researching whats involved with a 02M 6speed swap and maybe start that this winter if time and $$ allows. My assumptions is I can use R32 and TT225 parts to make it work, but im sure its more complicated than that.