VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Current - 17 Passat SEL Past - 02 337, 04 r32, 11 CC, 11 GTI, 16 Passat S
536 Posts
Great project! I discovered the thread for the first time today and when I saw that it was an automatic I was disappointed (but not really since dsg) and then I continue to read and was undisapointed. hahaha! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Also, something not manual swap related - I did a small mod to the CSF radiator. Used some PolyProp cove trim for water resistance, cut and painted it, and then used 3M body tape to secure it against the radiator and carrier. This effectively filled the gap that deleting the AC condenser left behind and should help redirect some airflow. I also used some A/C insulating foam and packed that into the sides to fill those voids.
Nice work. I'll have to keep some of this in mind when I start tidying up my MK2 GTI. I need something like that for my radiator.

Reactions: DBVeeDB

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well - The car is running AND driving! I have put about 175mi on the car in the last 3-4 days, just driving around locally trying to get the clutch broken in and shake down the car before I make the long haul to Wookies. A couple things have shown up that I am in the process of addressing, but the major takeaway here is that this swap is indeed possible and there is now another manual 3.2 TT driving around the US.

Issue 1: My clock spring fell apart on me when I had my steering column off, I re-assembled it but I have a steering angle sensor code now. I cannot find anyone who has this in stock. So I have a ESP light on and a code stored for implausible signal. No driving consequence, just not ESP/Traction control for me

Issue 2: I bought a BNIB clutch switch for cruise control and to signal the ECU when clutch is/isn't depressed. After seeing a soft code in VCDS for no signal, and using the voltmeter on my switch, I determined I damaged mine by installing it incorrectly. These can only go one ONE WAY, and they self adjust/lock into place when they clip in. I was able to salvage a used one I had laying around and it fixed a rev hang issue I had when dis-engaging the clutch. Another new unit is on its way to me.

Issue 3: The BIG issue. Unrelated to the trans swap, but maybe timing - I am chasing either a timing fault, oil pressure issue, or a cam adjuster/phaser issue. The car gets to temp but then makes loud clacking noise around 80-85*C. The actuators are trying to reach their operating temp set point and it appears they aren't quite getting there. The noise has reduced as I have driven the car, and performed the output tests to fully actuate these phasers, but I have still had soft codes return and the occasional, albeit brief - valve train noise. I have ordered a set of new(used) adjusters, as well as new aftermarket VVT solenoids just to rule them out as culprits. I suppose. will also remove the cam bridge and double check that the filter screen is in good order. I was ALMOST THERE, but it appears I need to go back into the engine a bit to make some final adjustments on this car.

Driving Impressions: It is exactly what I wanted, and that's all that really matters right? The easiest way to describe the car now is that it feels like a MK4 .:R32. It essentially is now, but with a tighter chassis/body structure than its Golf cousin, and a different acoustic nature to it. The southbound clutch is fantastic, and the VF mounts, in conjunction with the 034 Dogbone I am running, the engagement and throttle response is INCREDIBLE. The DSG was definitely limiting this car's overall experience in some ways, and the most noticeable to me has been throttle response, and initial torque. I can lightly slip the clutch off the line and this car just puts you back. Before, with the dsg, this was always a lazy gesture. Same with kickdowns or hard hits to the throttle. While the VR6 always had great throttle repose as a motor, the drivetrain was always trying to play catch up, or limiting the connection by trying to predict what you wanted and when. The ergonomics of the manual shifter and pedals suit the cabin perfectly fine (like the TT225) and the car feels very natural as a manual. The car feels way less "loaded" in lighter throttle situations, and very manageable and easy to drive. Shifting into and out of corners now is a blast. I am, needless to say - thrilled with the results and would recommend anyone on the fence about this swap, to just do it. The DSG has its pros no doubt, but the driving engagement and joy of my setup now is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is great news! I’ve been kicking around doing the swap for close to a decade and have stockpiled most of the parts to do it. Are you going to do a detailed writeup of what was involved? Specifically what I have been wondering about was what wires need to be swapped for functions such as:
  • Clutch Switch
  • Reverse Lights
What had to be re-coded using VCDS?

Also, did the factory propshaft to the haldex bolt right up?

Did you just modify the existing harness, or did you run an entire new harness?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
This is great news! I’ve been kicking around doing the swap for close to a decade and have stockpiled most of the parts to do it. Are you going to do a detailed writeup of what was involved? Specifically what I have been wondering about was what wires need to be swapped for functions such as:
  • Clutch Switch
  • Reverse Lights
What had to be re-coded using VCDS?

Also, did the factory propshaft to the haldex bolt right up?

Did you just modify the existing harness, or did you run an entire new harness?
yes I will be doing a write up that goes over in more detail the parts & process.

clutch switch, reverse and VSS are the only must haves in terms
Of circuitry changes/additions. and they are pretty simple - credit goes to my buddy Ron as he went through the diagrams to figure out what goes to what between DSG and a manual TT’s functioning. You’ll need a manual Ecu (either reprogram your stock or source a UK Ecu from a manual TT like I did and have it IMMO defeated) then you have to code the instrument cluster to prevent a “no coms with automatic” code.

Dsg prop shaft bolts up fine to the r32 trans & bevel box.

I did a few other things with my harness at the sametime to suit my build, but you can easily splice what you need from the existing dsg harness. You can delete the brake vacpump with this swap and one of those wires stays for the clutch switch.

I ended up making a stand-alone harness for all manual functions and the starter lead so that I could monitor any issues separate from the ECU. The R32 harness though, has VSS built into the Ecu harness, my write up will explain this in greater detail I just need to catch my breath haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well put Devin!
Now I'm having second thoughts about my DMF and LUK clutch and not putting in the SB clutch, next on my list is the UM Tune and cams!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts