VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horn(s) on the GTI really suck. When I need to use 'em they don't get the attention they should get. Very weak safety feature of the car.:eek:

I've looked under the hood and up front with a flashlight but can't find the darn things. (Not even sure if both are working.) I'd like to replace them with Hella horns, or even Italian horns, as I've done on previous cars. Anyone done a horn upgrade? Any picture of where they are?? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
MINI R60 JCW, BMW F30 B58
4,121 Posts
I barely use a horn so it does not make a difference to me.

The horns are located behind the front bumper. Somewhere between the foglights and the radiator. I know the one of the driverside is the horn, I'm not sure of the one on the passenger side does.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've never thought that the horn sounded weak, always thought it was a pleasant tone.

On my mkV the low tone was out.. sounded pretty lame :laugh: Perhaps the same thing happened to your car?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Furry Freak Bros Comic

I know this is the MKVI forum and not the Air-cooled, but there is a Furry Freak Bros comic that was brought to mind by this thread. :)
One of them was getting clowned because the horn in his Beetle sounded funny. Anyway, he replaced it with something loud and obnoxious. :laugh:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Link to a video? 118db sounds like overkill.

I don't want something obnoxious, just want to dial back a little on the gay
At least the stock horns should be much better than a typical compact (you know, the normal "meep meep").

I came from a Toyota Matrix (still being driven) and these Hella horns is a very popular for those who'd like to upgrade the horns. Man... you don't want to stand right in front of the car when someone honks as it's pretty loud.

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
in the 28k miles i've owned the gti (since february) have yet to use my horn... Unless it's the same one as the "lock car" beep, i have no idea what it sounds like :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.