VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get a new car in the spring.
Plan A: Get the Passat. Why? I've wanted one for 4 years now.....wait a minute. I'm 23 (24 by next spring), why the hell am I buying a family sedan?
OK, Plan B: Get the A4. B6 platform, a hell of a car. At first, it wasn't an option because of the lack of room in the back. I was sick of squashing people in back. But screw them, this car is so much more sportier than the Passat. Wait, why am I getting a sport sedan?
OK, Plan C: Now I want a 225hp TTq. After some thought I realized that when my dad was my age he bought a Barracuda and my mom had a Stingray. My father in-law had a Firebird. What kind of man at 23 wastes an opportunity to have a nice sports car? In 5 years that probably wont be an option. I can't take pics of TT's in the mall parking lot and pass it off as my own car to my kids someday. That would just be wrong.
So if anyone wants to talk some sense into me about how having a TT as my daily driver and only having my fiancees Jetta as my other driving option is a bad decision - nows your chance. Do I kick myself in the head for passing on my only opportunity for a true sports car for the next 30 years or do I kick myself in the head for doing the nonsensical thing.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (landrumdh)

I second the s4 doesn't get much better than that, fits for or five(depending on size) practical for all weather(quatro) definately a cool car to take pics of, very tuneable, in fact my second faveorite car only behind the new M3

·
Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (stl4310)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif For the TT, I mean you are the driver, so you will be driving, not sitting in the back.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (Euro Dude)

you wait until the RX-8 comes out, test drive it, and consequently buy it
you will then have a sports car that can seat four

And if you have any doubts, maybe you should know that it has ~50 more HP than the TT, will be lighter, is RWD, and will be around the same price.
check this site out for pics: http://images.rotarynews.com/images/RX-8Tokyo/

[Modified by fastfour, 10:34 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (landrumdh)

going to testdrive both tomorrow.... maybe an A8 too

quote:[HR][/HR]A4 3.0 Quattro is what you really want.
Or how about an S4
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
E82M Coupe, A177 A35 Hatch
5,039 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (mtrainVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Where's Ebb when you really need him???
[HR][/HR]​
Ebb votes for the TT. We all would know that. But his vote doesn't count.
I'd get an A4 3.0. The sports car thing can come later, when you can actually afford to have a summer car. The TT is tempting, but damn, it's pretty expensive for what it worth, IMO.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (DCS)

Get a B5-S4, for cosmetics make it look like a stock A4 1.8T and for mods do K04 conversion + APR stage 3.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (TabulaRasa)

And besides, the TT isn't a "true sports car" anyway. I'd think of it more as a nice tourer. I would go with the A4, but only because I've never wanted once in my life to own a TT. <ducks to dodge the beer bottle being thrown>

[Modified by AndrewT, 3:16 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (CanuckPal)

Ah, memories. I posted a very similar lament two months ago - I was fixated on buying my friend's off-lease 323ci. I'm 30 and haven't owned anything impractical (excluding a bog-slow MX6 DX coupe) either.
My conclusion is this (for now): the Passat variant lets me haul around bikes, kayaks, and all of their associated crap in comfort and style. In year or two, I could buy a nice used Miata or 944S as a second car. (I admit, if I didn't really like having a wagon, a used E36 M3 sedan is sporty enough - and it just doesn't get much better driving-wise than that.)
Don't think that you can't have a sports car with kids - as long as there is enough room for a car seat in the back, you're fine (if you're willing to go through the contortions of getting the "flesh turd" (I miss Ebb...) in the back.)
Also, having spent time looking at fiscal issues in hindsight, it might be nice not to buy a $36k car at 24. The money can go towards other things that you'll only have time to do - travel, aforementioned mountain biking, etc - without kids.
Final thought - I don't know how you in particular would work out the financing, but you could buy that 99 G20t and a 99 Miata for less than the TT. That way, if you needed the $, you could just sell one of them....
Tom

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (mutcth)

I just saw a TT coupe for sale in Autoweek. It had 14k miles on it and was $27k.

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Final thought - I don't know how you in particular would work out the financing, but you could buy that 99 G20t and a 99 Miata for less than the TT. That way, if you needed the $, you could just sell one of them....
Tom[HR][/HR]​
True, I've also thought about something like that. I'm just not a Miata fan. Oh, and that G20 is gone
ya snooze ya lose. 15 grand and 13K mi. what a deal IMO.
If I went with the TT or S4 they'd be 2001's with a little mileage on them, otherwise they'd be priced out of my reach. That's why the A4 3.0 isn't an option unless I waited long enough to find a program car or trade in.
I don't know if I'd be happy w/an S4 anyway
. I'm the type to always want the latest/greatest so it would bug me knowing I'd be getting a B5 Audi. So the S4 (old platform) and A4 3.0 (price) aren't really options.
True the TT isn't a "true" sports car but that's part of my desire for that car. Aside from our Jetta, that would be my daily driver. Being AWD and hatchback are a must if I'm getting a sports car.
Now the perfect situation would be the TTq 225 + a Golf TDI, but to afford that I'd have to live in one of them.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (PhilHVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just saw a TT coupe for sale in Autoweek. It had 14k miles on it and was $27k.[HR][/HR]​
I've seen several of the 180 hp FWD versions available for around $25k. Problem is, I'd like the ragtop....

Tom

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]I just saw a TT coupe for sale in Autoweek. It had 14k miles on it and was $27k.
I've seen several of the 180 hp FWD versions available for around $25k. Problem is, I'd like the ragtop....

Tom[HR][/HR]​
I'd only go for the 225, if you're going for the 180 FWD you might as well go A4 IMO. A tiny back seat, crapmed quarters for the performance of 22K Jetta? Nah. (unless you went ragtop of course)

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,323 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (AndrewT)

quote:[HR][/HR]And besides, the TT isn't a "true sports car" anyway.
[Modified by AndrewT, 3:16 AM 11-30-2001][HR][/HR]​
Ya, because the TT is a car you can actually drive every day, all year round.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Re: I'm going through my midlife crisis.........at 23. (Hajduk)

I already put a deposit down on a yellow rx8. Second color choice black. they still have no idea what options and what not. I can't wait to pick it up in over a year.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts