VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres gotta be an alternative to the 70lbs full size spare i'm carrying around..... Is there a "space saver" donut spare I can get that doesnt weigh alot?.... if I wasnt so scared, i'd rock no spare... but i'm a pansy...

· Registered
5,148 Posts
Re: .................................. I'm in the mood for a donut.... (rabbitVR28)

Good question http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I took my spare out for a few months once... I just left it in my garage incase someone would ever need to bring it to me. Right now It stays in my car, but it has been over 2 years now and still never a flat

· Registered
13,422 Posts
Re: (BuddyChiefGuy)

Quote, originally posted by BuddyChiefGuy »
If your spare weighs 70lbs .

lol...yeah..more like 30 lbs...

· Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: (rabbitVR28)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitVR28 »
^^^ my friend was complaining about the weight of the spare in his wrx... when i felt it, it was at least half the weight of mine.........

so THATS why they always win....
be a man and don't rock a spare. Just put some reeboks and a fresh pair of socks in the compartment http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
11,805 Posts
Re: .................................. I'm in the mood for a donut.... (rabbitVR28)

Whatever speed you gain by removing the spare isn't enough to justify not rocking a spare

Note that your spare tire is also a crumple zone in a rear end collision

· Banned
229 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rabbitVR28 »
Theres gotta be an alternative to the 70lbs full size spare i'm carrying around..... Is there a "space saver" donut spare I can get that doesnt weigh alot?.... if I wasnt so scared, i'd rock no spare... but i'm a pansy...

don't be him

· Registered
263 Posts
Re: .................................. I'm in the mood for a donut.... (bootymac)

Quote, originally posted by bootymac »
Whatever speed you gain by removing the spare isn't enough to justify not rocking a spare

Have spent some time now in collision investigation and believe me, the spare in the back is insignificant. It sits so far inboard that youre talking about major frame intrusion at that point. If you need that much crumple zone in a rear end TC ...
Depending on crash angles and the method used to fix the spare to the car, it can actualy become a projectile. But in either case (with or without) we're talking about the kind of crash you werent going to walk away from anyway.
Not a fan of run-flats, but the R32 should have come with a better solution than the compressor and fix-a-flat. Even if it meant swapping an OEM wheel to the front and putting the spare on the rear (caliper clearance).

· Registered
25 Posts
Re: .................................. I'm in the mood for a donut.... (jayvee203)

Quote, originally posted by jayvee203 »

yea just get AAA roadside assistance!

...you still need to have a spare if you call AAA...you think they just carry around spare vw rims and tires?

· Registered
15,991 Posts
Re: (rocketPack)

Quote, originally posted by rocketPack »

be a man and don't rock a spare. Just put some reeboks and a fresh pair of socks in the compartment http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

yes thats awesmome
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Re: .................................. I'm in the mood for a donut.... (bootymac)

Quote, originally posted by bootymac »

word to big bird.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.