VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I go to the dealer? I'm currently driving a 2002 A4, so I'm aware the electrical gremlins that sometine reside in these cars. So far so good, I really haven't had any problems with my car. Any of you current owners having issues?
Thanks in advance...

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Re: I'm interested in getting this truck, any "heads-up" or anything I should know..... (Tour-Egg)

hmmm... let's see...
there are 37,660 posts to 3,748 topics in the VWVortex Touareg Forum. Perhaps you should start there???? Start reading, shouldn't take too long.

· Registered
60,765 Posts
Re: I'm interested in getting this truck, any "heads-up" or anything I should know..... (Tour-Egg)

Nope, no issues. We just post here because we're bored from the lack of problems. Right guys?
Seriously, have you read any of the threads on this board?

· Registered
131 Posts
Yes, do a search, there is some great information. However, the search capabilities of this site aren't that great. So, here a couple quick tips...
The consensus on this board seems to indicate that you should look for a Treg with a VIN# of 24xxx or higher (or 19xxx or higher - depends what thread you are reading). Look at the last five digits of the VIN in the windshield when shopping.
Yes there are poeple on this board that have had some issues - it is a first year model.
There are many happy Treg owners out there. I think this site is a little heavy on the problems since many folks have found this board because they were looking for information on some issue they were having.
I have had my V6 Treg for about six weeks and 2000 miles and the only thing I have noticed is the overhead compass will blink/fade from time to time. This is after asking the dealer to reprogram it to stay on.
One thing mentioned on this board that I wish I would have done was to insist on some kind of loaner when the Treg is in for service and getting that as part of the contract. I haven't had an occasion to need something like that yet, but it would be nice if I'm ever in that situation.
As far as price, many dealers are selling V6's for $500-1000 over invoice. V8's are going for as low as $1000 over invoice, but that is a little harder to find. Go on a rainy/stormy day at the end of the month for the best deal.
Some of this may have changed with the new year too.
Good luck. If you end up buying a Treg - drive it!

· Registered
110 Posts
Re: (jrdavid68)

If you're getting the Winter Package, check to see if an indicator shows up in the MFI unit when you turn it on. Also, the latest vehicles only activate the passenger side airbag when someone is actually sitting there.
Earliest models do not have the rear passenger side sunshades, nor the power-assisted closing hatch.

· Registered
530 Posts
Re: (chriscichocki)

This is a great forum! My timeline for getting a V6 model is about 5-6 months from now, so I might just wait for the '05s. I love my Passat and that is why I am serious about the Treg for the family. I want the same performance and reliability found in my Passat. That's all. Reading about the various issues here -- expected for a new model and new platform -- makes it prudent to stick to my timeline, even though I'm tempted to get one sooner.
That said, how do I negotiate getting one at $500-$1,000 over invoice? I'm not the best at haggling. I've gone to three dealers and barely discussed pricing but to get facts and impressions. Two I like: Autobarn of Mt. Prospect (got my Passat there) and North Shore VW. The other one, Jennings VW, is a smug, "our $^&# don't stink" place.

· Registered
166 Posts
Re: (fincher)

The sticky thread at the top of the main Touareg page, titled " OFFICIAL VWOA TOUAREG FEEDBACK FORUM..." is probably the best reading as far as issues are concerned, and if you've got the time after that, browse on, you'll learn plenty. I probably would've had second thoughts had I been turned on to the Forum before I bought my 'egg, which has been virtually problem free, which considering the early VIN # - 007xx, is probably surprising.

To assist in your search for "issues", considering how the search function works (or doesn't, as the case may be), here are some (only partially) tongue-in-cheek keywords:
interesting, issue, problem, fault, tire pressure monitor (or TPM for short), woe, woes, MFI, battery, dead, dying, die, help, noise, squeak, rattle, buzz. Also a safe bet to steer you toward problems is any title with a question mark in it. Happy hunting

Modified by liv2ryd at 10:26 PM 1-8-2004

· Registered
123 Posts
Re: (fincher) Getting the best price

Step 1 - do not talk with the general sales guys.
Step 2 - Before going in, use Edmunds or a similar site to get Invoice Pricing with your Options and or all options to use as a pricing sheet. The Edmunds pricing is fairly close. I found it was about ~300-500 short due to ad campaign or other small destinations charges.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/200...agen*
Step 3 - Print out those pages and then go in and ask for the Fleet or Internet Sales Manager. Just that will save you a lot of hassles and a better price. Then just tell them what you want to pay for the vehicle and stick with it. ie 500 over Invoice.

· Registered
530 Posts
Re: (fincher) Getting the best price (srohrbaugh)

Thanks! This is great stuff.

· Registered
2,674 Posts
Re: (fincher)

Quote, originally posted by fincher »

That said, how do I negotiate getting one at $500-$1,000 over invoice? I'm not the best at haggling. I've gone to three dealers and barely discussed pricing but to get facts and impressions.

Just deal directly with the respective dealer's Internet Sales Manager or Fleet Manager. You won't have to haggle as they usually give you a great deal right from the start with minimal trouble. Much better than dealing with the regular salesmen. Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
5,547 Posts
Re: (TCinOC)

And Fincher, since you have an '03 Passat currently, after you successfully negotiate the $500 over invoice, ask about your customer loyalty cupon. It's worth either $500 or $1000! A lot of dealers (even good ones) neglect to bring this up if you don't mention it.
God luck, and welcome to the club!

· Registered
2,283 Posts

I respectfully disagree with your statement regarding the concensus on this board is that VINs with 24xxx or higher are o.k. There are many posts (including mine) of people with very low VINs that have had minor or no problems at all.
The VIN number is not relevant unless you're looking for the hatch close assist or the rear sunshades. It appears that the heated steering wheel icon comes on later models, but that shouldn't be a reason not to buy a low VIN or to suggest that lower VINs have more problems than higher VINs.

· Registered
60,765 Posts
Re: (bravocharlie)

Quote, originally posted by bravocharlie »
I respectfully disagree with your statement regarding the concensus on this board is that VINs with 24xxx or higher are o.k. There are many posts (including mine) of people with very low VINs that have had minor or no problems at all.
The VIN number is not relevant unless you're looking for the hatch close assist or the rear sunshades. It appears that the heated steering wheel icon comes on later models, but that shouldn't be a reason not to buy a low VIN or to suggest that lower VINs have more problems than higher VINs.

I agree with bravocharlie. Seems we have had some problems with later VIN here too. And of course since earlier VIN have been around here longer there will be more reporting on them and more miles driven to bring out the problems. My VIN is 003886 (or is it 003668?) and I haven't had any real problems to speak of.

· Registered
110 Posts
Re: (bravocharlie)

I just checked Edmunds on rebates and incentives for the Touareg and there is just one incentive for $500 of "marketing support" from VW to the dealer - just on the v6. I own a 2003 Passat and just bought my T a month ago and the customer loyalty cash was listed at the time but it's not there now so I think the program must be over.
However, even though the customer loyalty program WAS running when I bought my T, I did not qualify as the owner of a 2003 Passat. The program was only good for owners or family members of 2000 to 2002 VW vehicles. I thought that was pretty stupid since I didn't qualify because my VW was too "new", but the sales guy showed me the flyer from VW that explained the program and he was right - I didn't qualify.
Definitely check on it with your sales guy though and make sure he gives you an honest answer - ask around to be sure.
With a $500 VW to dealer rebate, I would think you should be able to get a V6 AT INVOICE.

Modified by chriscichocki at 2:56 PM 1-9-2004

· Registered
110 Posts

By the way, the best way to get a set price over invoice (or the actual invoice price) is to bring in reports from Edmunds, Yahoo and/or MSN Autos and show that you know what the invoice price is. As someone else mentioned, my dealer said the listed invoice was lower that actual by about $200 (and I do trust my dealer). You don't have to be a power negotiator, you just have to be willing to walk and take your business somewhere else. All the dealerships know what the going rate is for the trucks... They know that if you're willing to shop around, you'll find that price. The WORST place to negotiate a price (in my opinion) is in the sales person's office. If you have your dealer, sales person, price and financing set BEFORE you get there, you'll have the best chance at a no pressure buy where you are totally in control.
To save yourself some travel time, you may want to go to VW's website, build your Touareg and then have request a quote from dealers in your area. Let them know up front what the price is that you're looking for and see who bites. You should be able to figure out what dealer to go to without leaving home. Once you have a dealer in mind, post it back out to the board and see what kind of feedback people give you on them.
Another great thing to do is check the thread for dealers willing to discount their trucks, and also check the thread on recommended dealerships to buy from.
It is a bunch of work, but if you have a few months before you buy it's well worth spending some time working everything out now when there's no pressure.
Good luck!

Modified by chriscichocki at 2:51 PM 1-9-2004

Modified by chriscichocki at 2:57 PM 1-9-2004

· Registered
530 Posts
Re: (chriscichocki)

That's what I did for my Passat and paid $100 over invoice, with 1.9% APR. But the Treg is a hot vehicle and with VW increasing production for '05 (by 60%) and my timeframe -- and the GREAT tips from everyone, I am now empowered!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.