VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

im so f'd... (FSB issue)

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  tonyb2580 
#1 ·
i was replacing the bushings on my FSB. the bolt that attaches the endlink to the control arm snapped.
i tried to use a "grab it" drill bit to get out the rest of the bolt from the control arm but no luck. so i ended up drilling it out and in the process ruined the threads, so the bolt has nothing to grab onto. im left with a hanging FSB with no way to attach it. i DO want to keep the FSB so theres no cutting it and taking it out.
any ideas on how to bolt it up would be appreciated.

Modified by deomegus at 9:45 PM 6-1-2009

See less See more
#8 ·
Re: im so f'd... (deomegus)

i want to keep the FSB. i know alot of people just take them out and poop on them but, for me, handling sucks without it. i drive fast and hard and definitely notice the difference and hate it. fells all loose and squishy. replacing the sway bar wont really fix anything as i still have nowhere to mount it. not sure what i need to use a helicoil or make new threads but a larger bolt wont fit through the endlink.

Modified by deomegus at 9:53 PM 6-1-2009

#16 ·
Re: (Murphy)

Can you drill straight though the stripped out hole clean through to the other side? If you can, just get a longer bolt, a couple washers and a nut. Put it all the way through and tighten it on with the nut, instead of just the threads that you now have stripped. If this is possible, not sure if you can drill all the way through.

#17 ·
Re: (Stg3G60)

I had to replace my control arm when this exact thing happened to me.
Quote, originally posted by Stg3G60 »
Can you drill straight though the stripped out hole clean through to the other side? If you can, just get a longer bolt, a couple washers and a nut. Put it all the way through and tighten it on with the nut, instead of just the threads that you now have stripped. If this is possible, not sure if you can drill all the way through.

You can't get access to the area the bolt screws into.

Modified by sterkrazzy at 1:47 PM 6-2-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.