VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know my sh*t at times, so help me out. What is a MAF? I keep hearing about MAF failures. Does it have anything to do with when you add a new intake? I am getting the neuspeed pflo, and I just want the headsup on what to do so I don't have to get a new MAF

·
Banned
1,560 Posts
Re: I'm stupid.... What does MAF do? (Soy Bomb)

Mass Air Flow sensor. Installing a P-Flow shouldn't effect the MAF.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

actually, some people have indeed had trouble with their MAF's after installing eurosport or neuspeed P Flow type intakes.
food for thought.

·
Registered
33,982 Posts

The MAF is a sensor that tells the ECU how much air mass is flowing into the engine. The ECU in turn based in this info calculates how much gas to inject into the mix. If the MAF readings are not correct the O2 sensor on the exhuast will tell the ECU so. If there is too much O2 left it will tell the ECU that the mix is lean, is there is too little O2 it will tell the ECU that the mix is rich. The ECU will try to adecuate the air/fuel mix according this two sensors. If it cant it will throw off CELs and DTCs will be stored.

[Modified by ROCKRLR, 12:02 PM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I really don't know my sh*t at times, so help me out. What is a MAF? I keep hearing about MAF failures. Does it have anything to do with when you add a new intake? I am getting the neuspeed pflo, and I just want the headsup on what to do so I don't have to get a new MAF[HR][/HR]​
The only thing "stupid" about asking questions is not asking them at all!...from my past experience, all I can say is that if you do have to disconnect the MAF from the plug when installing your P-Flo, remember to plug it back in!!...In the midst of the excitement, you might forget to and you will immediately notice as your car will feel extremely slow!...you really shouldn't have a problem, so don't worry too much about it

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I'm stupid.... What does MAF do? (Pannikattk)

thanks a lot guys! I love this forum cause I always get a bunch of good replies in a short period of time!

·
Registered
144 Posts

I have a similar (stupid?) question... So what exactly does the P-flow do? Anything practical? In terms of performance? I heard it also alters the sound of the engine. Is it nice or obnoxious? Thanks for the info...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts