VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I want a pretty reliable car that won't break down on me, VW has been known to have electrical problems, but I love the style of the mk1 and mkII gti's. Are there any problems that I should watch out for that are common in mkII gti's?

· Registered
48,497 Posts
Re: I'm think about buying a 1991 GTI (BurnDownTheDisco)

Quote, originally posted by BurnDownTheDisco »
VW has been known to have electrical problems,

who told you that, a chevy mechanic or something?

theyre fine, just dont expect it to never have any problems. have some money set aside for just in case stuff, and be prepared to do some work as soon as you first buy it, for those issues that inevitably pop up.

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Re: I'm think about buying a 1991 GTI (ValveCoverGasket)

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »

theyre fine, just dont expect it to never have any problems. have some money set aside for just in case stuff, and be prepared to do some work as soon as you first buy it, for those issues that inevitably pop up.

^^^ and they'll pop up in ANY 13+ year old used car.

· Registered
3,920 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »

Well, he isn't really lying. The MkIII and IV's are plagued by them. I know, my MkIII has all sorts of electrical bugs, and my friends MIV is a nightmare.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, you see, i'm far from a mechanic, i hardly know anything about cars, I read somewhere like consumer reports like the biggest problems were electrical? Anyways, I'm first planning on spending money on a cheap 500 dollar paint job.. I want black or maybe gunmetal.. then some other money on stuff like an a muffler and some rota slip stream rims. But I don't want to have to fix the car up alot when i buy it, that's the type of stuff i'd expect when I buy a rabbit.

· Registered
48,497 Posts
Re: I'm think about buying a 1991 GTI (KingofNod)

Quote, originally posted by KingofNod »
Well, he isn't really lying. The MkIII and IV's are plagued by them. I know, my MkIII has all sorts of electrical bugs, and my friends MIV is a nightmare.

i used to have a mk3, and my mom still does. those cars do have issues. but just because coil packs and window regulators go out in someones sister's mk4, doesnt mean mk2s have "electrical issues"
the older cars are fine.

2,223 Posts
Re: (Iced Golf)

ive had my mk2 for 2 and a half weeks now, first time i ever drove it was a 4 hr trip back home. car took it amazingly well with GREAT gas milage (150 miles and still had well over 3/4 tank of gas...with intake, header, high flow cat, and catback...with maaaaaaaaaany bursts of flooring it
). theres a lot of ghetto rigged stuff and lots of stuff that needs to be replaced (but all common maintainence), but i dont regret buying it at all http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
pic of said car:

· Registered
630 Posts

that is the best advice i have ever hurd someone say http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2011 BMW 128i 6MT, 2002 Audi S4 Tiptronic
7,569 Posts
Re: I'm think about buying a 1991 GTI (BurnDownTheDisco)

the only "problems" that I've encountered with my 8v Jetta are normal wear issues. Various tranny seals and engine gaskets are mainly what I have been having to throw down some scratch for.
When I first brought it to a mechanic it needed various minor ignition replacements, wires, spark plugs, and a timing belt replaced. Ive also replaced the clutch. Oh and the Axles are starting to go, but once again normal wear and tear for a 15 year old car.
Other than that its been a swell car! It has never died on me or failed to start!

· Registered
1,755 Posts
Most of the problems my 91 GLi has had, can be directly traced to previous owners not doing something right the first time, or me slaming into a "crub" doing about 40 mph. That didn't help. And even when there has been a problem, I've always been able to get where I'm going.

· Banned
5,299 Posts
Re: (BurnDownTheDisco)

yeah, you see, i'm far from a mechanic, i hardly know anything about cars, I read somewhere like consumer reports like the biggest problems were electrical? Anyways, I'm first planning on spending money on a cheap 500 dollar paint job.. I want black or maybe gunmetal.. then some other money on stuff like an a muffler and some rota slip stream rims. But I don't want to have to fix the car up alot when i buy it, that's the type of stuff i'd expect when I buy a rabbit.

the bold... reason why you are not allowed to buy a low milage mk2.. go buy something that already looks ****ty ! (rotas can look good when done right )

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Re: (BurnDownTheDisco)

I'm first planning on spending money on a cheap 500 dollar paint job.. I want black or maybe gunmetal...

you get what you pay for... a cheap paint job is just that.. cheap.. but trust me it will flake off and look like crapola... if your gonna do it have it done right. a GOOD paint job will run anywhere from $1000 up... thats the next step on my jetta is to get the bodywork dealt with and have a nice metallic black squirted on it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.