VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Re: I'm too fat! (Slow1.8)

Quote, originally posted by Slow1.8 »
Alittle update on this thread.... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1182168
I finally got the time to cut them out and they were a good chunk of metal!
I'd say a good 15 pounds
I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about it. I mean it isn't anything major, but when you can't afford fiberglass... gadda work with what you can

i hope you have a cage!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Okay, what did you cut out? I'm always looking to lose weight without diet and exersize.
Brad

Modified by Gazornan at 8:24 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I'm too fat! (stomp.13)

I'm not sure how long this thread goes on before it gets shut down my "Meister".
But, inside of your door, there's a metal piece that runs Horizontally; It's there to reinforce the door {duh}.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: I'm too fat! (stomp.13)

Quote, originally posted by stomp.13 »
I lost 45LBS by cutting out beer.

You must of been an alcoholic!!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

I've asked a bunch of people about American door impact beams and their removal. They said oh they're really light, don't waste your time. But 30lbs is 30lbs. Let the cutting begin. Do you have some pics? Thanks.
Oh I cut out beer for a year and didn't lose a pound. And no, I didn't replace it with Bailey's or anything like that. So here

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: I'm too fat! (76 Golf GTi)

If you use your car to drive around town it's not Worth it... It weighs less then a battery...
But, Like I said.. If you race and can't afford Fiber glass, well.. DO IT!!!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: I'm too fat! (76 Golf GTi)

Here's some pictures to help you get a better picture of what your going to do...

If you can see the bar...

You also have to take out the glass and cut this B*ll sh*t out first.. [duh]

Boom, you're done.. Now put in your window. and enjoy your fat loss.

Modified by Slow1.8 at 5:11 AM 2-15-2004

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: (Slow1.8)

Sweet. Thanks. Love dieting when it's not me.
Slow1.8---FYI --you may get rid of that tach faster if in your sig you put tach and not tech. I thought you were a VW guru (which you may be), until I clicked on the link and saw a monster tach for sale.

·
Registered
897 Posts

I'm not sure how long this thread goes on before it gets shut down my "Meister".
But, inside of your door, there's a metal piece that runs Horizontally; It's there to reinforce the door {duh}.

I cut mine out too but I put in a transversal bar in to protect me (somewhat) from side impact...

More picts of the cage:
http://www.davesport.com/cgi-b....html
Travis

·
Registered
813 Posts
Re: (Slow1.8)

Damn! Then the complete door must of wieghted like 100+lbs!

Pretty close
1981 Trans-Am doors weigh 92lbs each... I know because I used to own a Trans-Am and I've dropped a door on my foot while working on the car.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: (Impact_Wrench)

Had a '73 Firebird. If I parked on a side slope, I couldn't pull the door closed.
Any other tips on heavy items one might find hiding in an a1? I admit, I missed the door bars. Silly to leave those in with NASCAR stle door bars.
Brad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts