VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im tossing the idea around in my head of selling my custom stand up jetski since i moved off the lake this year. I have no other expenses to pay, I dont need commentary on how I should save this money for later, blah, blahh:rolleyes: Im happy with how my car looks, just not how it runs. My current 8v is on its last leg (or atleast the head\rings are anyways) blowing blue smoke out every startup.
Im wanting to sway away from vr6's just because I dont want to fiddle with electronics because Im not that good at wiring, and I dont want to mess with all the other stuff for a swap. Im thinking of a built 16v with carb's or a turbo'ed 16v but im not so sure $5k will complete that need. Im comfortable with swapping the motor myself and hooking everything up and tinkering, no need to pay someone. can 5k get you a lot in vw world?

pics for clicks

· Registered
14,285 Posts
Im wanting to sway away from vr6's just because I dont want to fiddle with electronics because Im not that good at wiring, and I dont want to mess with all the other stuff for a swap. Im thinking of a built 16v with carb's or a turbo'ed 16v

uhm, vr6 = plug and play, built 16v on carbs serious wiring, to get it running right youll need megasquirt or some other stand alone set up.

that being said $5k could build you a very nice motor.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uhm, vr6 = plug and play, built 16v on carbs serious wiring, to get it running right youll need megasquirt or some other stand alone set up.

that being said $5k could build you a very nice motor.
maybe its just me, but im pretty sure you dont need any type of ecu or stand alone setup when running carbs, just an aftermarket ignition (msd 6al) & new fuel pump and regulator.

· Registered
5,442 Posts
16v turbo would be the best bang for your buck.
aba bottom end. anywhere on the cheap!
16v head (1.8) anywhere on the cheap.
C2 motorsport tuning package 600-700 bucks.
super60/ 60-1 hifi turbo
you'll make over 300whp with this setup...i promise!

I had itb's on a 16v (fuel injected) and down here in the south they can be a pita! I would imagine they would be even more of a pita with carbs. unless you only plan on driving it in the spring and fall/winter. summer time+humidity= blows!

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a 1.8t sounds fun, im kind of more old school and would probably go with a 16v w\ carbs, but a turbo can be lots of fun. I think id have to spend a ton of money on a 16v\carb motor to get it up to hp with a 1.8t

· Registered
1,381 Posts
I completely respect with maintaining the old school aspect. You certainly should be able to put together a 16v on carbs for 5k. I'd probably try to source a used carb/mani setup and then have the head and block freshened up with enough $$ left over for a nice set of cams and header. Either way some wiring is inevitably going to need to be dealt with. Dreaming is fun :beer:.

· Registered
3,736 Posts
^this. what are you looking to do? reliability? power?

you could EASILY swap a 1.8T in and add some power upgrade, ie chip, TIP, FMIC, ect for under 5 grand
not to mention a full harness swap would would make daily driving it a breeze. :thumbup:

· Registered
7,865 Posts
your not wanting to deal with wiring but your okay with learning how to work on carbs? carbs sound like a simple cool idea till you own a set of em. i had a 1.9l 16v on dual sidedrafts and it was more fun to drive than the g60 that was in the car before but so many variables to get the car to run right even 70% of the time. i spent time adjusting the carbs every third or fourth time driving the car. i had 2 guys who tune race boats play around with the carbs and it was always a give and take. they sounded great and look cool but caused me to hate driving the car.

shop wisely and you can have an awesome motor for 5k

· Registered
3,736 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.