VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!
Can anyone help me out with my problem? I am moving from Germany to Los Angeles, CA and I want to take my car with me. The car is a German Golf IV GTI (150 Hp), 100% eurospec. Therefore I have a couple of questions
1. does the European version differ a lot concerning smog (big topic
since I am moving to CA and safety measurements or is it
the "same car" as its US counterpart?
2. If not what are the possible modication I have to face and their
costs?
3. Is it actually possible to get this car US road legal?
4. Just in case I will be able to import the car to CA will the insurance
companies bill me for a regular Golf IV GTI or will the rate differ
from an US Golf
If anyone of you has any experience with this topic or has further information about the whole importing process please provide me with any info you have.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (ollysnews)

Hey man, not to sure on what you need to do. I have heard some guys saying to contact customs and see what all you need. and others told me that if your car has been crash tested already then all you need to do is smog and lights. Like I said I am not sure. What I wanted to know is how are prices for GTI items over there? I am moving that way in about a month and was wondering.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
ya since your car is already crash tested in the US you'll just have to get the bumpers and lights right. make sure to save your peice though, cause you know after you get it all checked out and cleared you can just stick them back on. the difference is so subtle no one will notice.

your biggest problem will be the smogging and shipment costs.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Ok, maybe you've lost me somewhere, but how you gonna go from left hand drive to right hand drive?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (t-dawg 2.0)

Quote, originally posted by t-dawg 2.0 »
Ok, maybe you've lost me somewhere, but how you gonna go from left hand drive to right hand drive?

german cars are LHD.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (t-dawg 2.0)

german cars are left hand drive. uk is the only one i can think of thats right hand drive. didnt mean to answer the question for the other guy though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (jettasin00)

Quote, originally posted by jettasin00 »
german cars are left hand drive. uk is the only one i can think of thats right hand drive. didnt mean to answer the question for the other guy though.

(unless you count Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc...)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (MB300E87)

Do I have to make the necessary changes before I ship it to the US or can I do within the US after arrival? How checks these changes anyways? The DMV?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (Futura2000)

Quote, originally posted by Futura2000 »

(unless you count Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc...)

Don't they drive on the left hand side in Bangkok Thailand at least near the emperors palace or wtf am I talking about?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (Technicalwonder)

Please my thread is not about where people drive on the right or the left side of the road!!! I really need serious info about the changes/conversions or anything related to import a eurospec car to CA.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts

i believe that smog and lights are all you'll have to worry about. don't quote me on that...i just know that it'll be easier to get your eurospec golf in simply because we have this model stateside and there won't be any need for crash testing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (schtebie)

Borrow someones bumper's, get ahold of a set of NA spec headlights and /or tails? and you might be good to go. Oh yeah, and pass smog. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (intricate976)

What about the gauge cluster since ours is in kilometers and not in miles.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Re: (ollysnews)

Are you coming over permanently or for an extended stay?
According to US Customs:
NONRESIDENTS may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles that do not conform with US safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the US. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirement. Conforming vehicles imported under these guidelines may remain in the US indefinitely once a formal entry is made for EPA purposes.

Quote, originally posted by ollysnews »
Do I have to make the necessary changes before I ship it to the US or can I do within the US after arrival? How checks these changes anyways? The DMV?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
heres a basic list of what i've gathered.
bumpers - including rebar
headlights
corner lights
emissions
gauge cluster
honestly, in my opinion. i think you should just sell your car and buy a new one here. after the money you'll have to spend to bring the car over and up to spec, it'll make it not worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Snow that is not 100% true. I have brought cars over from the UK that were right hand drive and eurospec and CA did reg it here. What he needs to do is contact customs directly and ask them. If I remember it needs to be able to pass smog before it leaves the doc yard or customs will not release it to the owner. Now all this being said, like I tell all my friends asking questions, trust no one, ask customs your self and even then ask them to show you in writing or where you can look it up your self. good luck. I will be bringing back some VW's from Europe when I come back.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ollysnews »

3. Is it actually possible to get this car US road legal?

Please take notice of Blitzen's comments. Was your specific powertrain ever sold in the US?
OTOH, if you have many dollars to spend on a full conversion by a registered imported, anything can be done....you just may end up with the most expensive GTi known to mankind.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: Import Golf IV GTI from Germany (dieseldorf)

Quote »
importing a car is no small undertaking:
VEHICLE IMPORTATION GUIDELINES
(Imported from a country other than Canada)
The following provides information concerning the importation of a passenger car built to comply with the standards of a country other than the U.S. or Canada. Importers of motor vehicles must file form HS-7 (available at ports of entry) at the time a vehicle is imported to declare whether the vehicle complies with DOT requirements. As a general rule, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) to be imported permanently. Vehicles manufactured to meet the FMVSS will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer in the area of the driver-side door. To make importation easier, when purchasing a vehicle certified to the U.S. standards abroad, a buyer should have the sales contract verify that the label is attacheds and present this document at time of importation.
A vehicle without this certification label must be imported as a non-conforming vehicle. In this case, the importer must contract with a DOT-Registered Importer (RI) and post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.
Under the contract, the RI will modify and certify that the vehicle conforms with all applicable FMVSS. Before an RI can modify a vehicle NHTSA must have determined that the vehicle is capable of being modified to comply with the FMVSS. If no determination has been made, the RI must petition NHTSA to determine whether the vehicle is capable of being modified to comply with the FMVSS. If the petitioned vehicle is not similar to one sold in the U.S., this process becomes very complex and costly. A list of vehicles previously determined eligible for importation may be obtained from an RI or from the NHTSA web site.
Since the cost of modifying a non-conforming vehicle, or the time required to bring it into conformance, may affect the decision to purchase a vehicle abroad, it is recommended that you discuss these aspects with an RI before buying and shipping a vehicle to the U.S.
For federal regulations concerning vehicle emissions contact the Environmental Protection Agency, Manufacturers Operations Division, EN-340, 401 M Street SW, Washington, DC 20460, Tel: (202) 564-9660. Information concerning duty or other Customs matters can be obtained from the Classification and Value Division, U.S. Customs Service, Washington, DC 20229, Tel: (202) 927-0300, or http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/auto.htm
For information regarding registration or operation of a properly imported vehicle in a specific state, we advise you to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles or other appropriate agency in that state since the requirements vary by state.

Registered Importers:
Black Shrine
1760 Monrovia Avenue, Unit C-12
Costa Mesa, CA 92627 USA
Tel: 949 515 8056 Fax: 949 515 8036 G & K
Automotive Conversion
3231 South Standard Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705 USA
Tel: 714 545 9503 Fax: 714 545 7667
Western Cascade
6440 South 143rd Street
Tukwila, WA 98168 USA
Tel: 206 243 2667 Fax: 206 439 7833
Amerispec Corporation
190 George Washington Parkway
Ridgefield, CT 06877 USA
Tel: 203 744 0844 Fax: 203 744 9771
Atlantic ICI
2605 Clark Street, Unit C
Apopka, FL 32703 USA
Tel: 407 298 3500 Fax: 407 298 9911
DC Imports
12079 NW 50th Drive
Coral Springs, FL 33076 USA
Tel: 954 755 8868 Fax: 954 755 7768
Bayway Auto
558-562 Frelinghuysen Avenue
Newark, NJ 07114 USA
Tel: 973 824 8687 Fax: 973 824 8782
Autosport Design
332 Sagamore Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501 USA
Tel: 516 248 0066 Fax: 516 248 4422
Champagne Imports
132 Penn Avenue
Teleford, PA 18969 USA
Tel: 215 799 1445 Fax: 215 799 1421 Wallace
Environmental Test Lab
2140 Wirtcrest
Houston, TX 77055 USA
Tel: 713 956 7705 Fax: 713 956 0104
Rampe Corporation
55 High Street
North Billerica, MA 01862 USA
Tel: 978 667 6300 Fax: 978 667 7577
JK Technologies
3500 Sweet Air Street
Baltimore, MD 21211 USA
Tel: 410 366 6332 Fax: 410 366 7655

without the little underhood decal that states the car meets USA EPA requirements, you're nowhere.
The military can request a US-compliant car while they are there that CAN be registered in the US when the serviceman returns....reference Roger Moore.

Modified by dieseldorf at 12:09 PM 5-21-2004

1 - 20 of 27 Posts