VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent conversation with a friend of mine had me appalled. We were talking about the Matrix and the Vibe. He hates domestic cars, for no real reason.
We both agreed they were neat cars, and interesting.
When the question was posed as to which one he would pick, he did not hesitate to choose the Matrix. I asked him why...
"Because even though they are the same car, I am sure GM did something messed up to make the Vibe a cruddier car. I trust the Toyota more."
They're the same damned car, knucklehead!!
So....you are buying a car that is sold as an import and a domestic brand. Everything is the same....lets say you could get a slightly better deal on the domestic.
How much does the brand mean to you?

·
Premium Member
11,105 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (mtrainVR6)

I'd get the Vibe, because I like the styling of it better.

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (mtrainVR6)

well In the domestic vs Impot game for the Vibe and matrix, i choose the Matrix cause I think it looks better, and most of the time I would choose the import, Most likly it will hold its value better, even if its only a name difference.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

Id choose the matrix simply because I like the way the matrix looks way more than the vibe.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

It would be interesting to see how the resale values of these two a few years later... I would like to see how the perceived value of the brand come into play when these two cars are basically the same (except for the body).

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (1Point8T)

2 factors would influence my decision, 1 is the warranty on the vehicles in question and 2nd would be relae vlue and sorry but I think the matrix will have a higher resale value
Mike

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (VWMike81)

You guys are giving me rational answers. My friend would not buy the Vibe just based on the assumption that it was a Pontiac.

·
Registered
760 Posts

I would get the Matrix, simply because I would rather tell people I drive a Toyota rather than the other one.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (1Point8T)

The Toyota would probably end up having the better resale value (partially because of the uninformed such as Matt's friend). GM and Toyota have almost the same warranties, except that GM gives you roadside assistance as well. I'd say dealer service is about the same, with a slight edge to Pontiac maybe.
In the end, I would go with the Vibe since it has better styling, and because GM didn't screw up the Matrix by adding a Delco stereo.

·
Registered
829 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]How much does the brand mean to you?[HR][/HR]​
Not a whole lot. I'm buying a car, not a brand. If I were keeping the car for a very long time (not worrying about resale value in a few years), I would go with the lower priced one. It might even boil down to which dealership I liked better.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (Slackmeister)

Well, pretty similar: The Opel Monterey sells a lot better over here than the Isuzu Trooper.
Opel Monterey:

Isuzu Trooper:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (MartijnGizmo)

I think if they'd offered a Trooper that looked like that over here, it would've sold way better!
(It's not stock, is it?)

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (ironside_a)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think if they'd offered a Trooper that looked like that over here, it would've sold way better!
(It's not stock, is it?)[HR][/HR]​
No, and it's a later MY than the Monterey, but it's the best I could find. This Trooper is from Island, where you really need such tires with all those volcano's.....

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

I'd choose the matrix because I like the styling better.
I'd kick both of em out of bed though.......

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (MartijnGizmo)

quote:[HR][/HR]This Trooper is from Island[HR][/HR]​
Terrible translation, that would have to be Iceland.....

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (MGQ)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd get the Vibe, because I like the styling of it better.[HR][/HR]​
What he said.
Neither brand excites me that much anymore.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (MGQ)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd get the Vibe, because I like the styling of it better.[HR][/HR]​
bingo bango

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

i guess i would go for the brand name that gives me higher resale....unless the other one has very good incentives.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (billgti)

I think the TOyota looks better as long as its not a base model

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: Import vs. Domestic: One car, two names, which would you choose? (Aw614)

Matrix, no question.
In Canada, its cheaper than the Vibe with the same level of equipment. Not to mention the Matrix probably has better resale.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts