VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 jetta 2.0 gl MANUEL and i had to put in a new transmision becasue there was something wrong with it and i changed the machanic changed the clutch since he had to fix the transmision. I had it back for about 2 weeks now and when i shift into second gear somtimes it grinds. THis only happnes when i shift into second.not any other gears.. i dont know why this happnes and it doesn happen all of the time..Is this a common problem with jettas, iS it me?....let me know!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: IMPORTANT!!! NEED HELP!!!!! (putang spangler)

I believe the transmission was used however the clutch is brand new. If that is whats wrong is that easy to fix and how much will it cost about? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Re: IMPORTANT!!! NEED HELP!!!!! (bmwm540)

Its actually common for O2O trannys. The syncros don't like it when we shift real fast. Also check your shift linkage bushings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: IMPORTANT!!! NEED HELP!!!!! (avw4me)

It happens not only when I shift fast but under normal everyday driving conditions thats what worrys me... It happens all the time. Is there some kind of recall on the synchros since everyone is having problems with them?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

nope nothing i've heard of... how long ago did the tranny get put in? there should be some kind of warranty, although i'm not sure how it would relate to using used parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: IMPORTANT!!! NEED HELP!!!!! (putang spangler)

Yes I checked there and made a post. The transmission has been in the car for about 2 weeks now and it has been doing it ever since the new transmission was installed, that is why I think it is directly related to that.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: IMPORTANT!!! NEED HELP!!!!! (DUBBINandLOVIN)

if it grinds its either the syncro's in the transmission or the shift cables
you could also try replacing the tranny fluid

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've heard really good things about GM syncro mesh fixing grinds in all kinds transmissions. Kinda expensive but maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Re: (Jmunk)

It is unfortunately an all too common problem with 2.o trannys. Just be thankful is only 2nd gear...some doods in here have the 2nd, 3rd and reverse grinding blues.
The synchronizing plate will "lose" teeth with regular driving over time. More so with hard driving. It is very uncommon (not impossible though) to find a mk3 that didn't have this problem. For the mean time, until you get it fixed at least, when shifting into second "pause" in neutral on your way to second. What I mean is when you're in first and going to second, count one-one thousand at neutral before going into second this should ease the grinding.
However, to get it repaired you need some tranny work. I would strongly recommend NGP in Aberdeen, MD but being you're in NJ that might be a long haul. You're looking at about $500-$600 to open disassemble, replace/repair and re-assemble the tranny. Btw, this quote is from a year ago from NGP who anyone who's familiar will tell you, do quality work. Well worth the drive. http://www.ngpracing.com
Good luck man.
JR

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: IMPORTANT!!! NEED HELP!!!!! (DUBBINandLOVIN)

Dubbin and Lovin you idiot its not a common problem....i am talking about daves car...its nick...lol

·
Registered
755 Posts
Re: (JR Dubhead)

Quote, originally posted by JR Dubhead »
...I would strongly recommend NGP in Aberdeen, MD but being you're in NJ that might be a long haul. You're looking at about $500-$600 to open disassemble, replace/repair and re-assemble the tranny. Btw, this quote is from a year ago from NGP who anyone who's familiar will tell you, do quality work. Well worth the drive. http://www.ngpracing.com
Good luck man.
JR

i am fortunate to live 15mins from NGP and they do all the work on my cars, they are simply amazing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
856 Posts

It sounds a lot like the synchros. A used tranny would probably have the same synchro wear that everyone else has. If there's still a warranty where you had the work done I would take it back and have them look at it (or at least drive it). They shouldn't charge you to check their own work. Until then . . . use the spell check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts