VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So over a discussion I was having with some family yesterday, I can buy a new / usedish MK1 from Africa and bring it over here for parts, or have the parts brought here for consumption.

For those of you that don't know, they have been selling MK1's there since their run ended here in North America as the Citi Golf.

My question to you all is, are there parts that you guys really need, that would make bringing a few of these over worth the money for an entire new/near new shell and the parts?

Though you can't register it, this is what you would be able to get:

http://www.metromediasa.com/newsarticle.asp?ID=334

and the R model:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/vw-citi-golf-r-line-south-africa/#221427

Just wanted to gauge for a response.

Best Regards,
-R

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
WAIT! They still sell Mk1 is South Africa..... OMG

2009 was the last year for the Citi Golf.

I have a friend who moved to SA a few months ago. He and his wife picked up a used Citi Golf a shortly after arriving. It is his first VW and wants to start importing them to the US.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would want to bring an entire new SA caddy over, swap my US vin onto it and no one would be the wiser, ha ha j/k...but it would be cool if it were that simple. too bad they only have gassers - a new td caddy from SA would be really nice.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Dammit orange you beat me to it. Anyways, the only thing I would every really be interested in would be the b-pillar trim, but for the price of the phone call to SA I could have some done from vinyl.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Is anyone in SA making pop-out rear side windows that don't cost a bazillion dollars?
Generally they seem to be in the $1000 range when they show up. Even the ones from Mexico
are fairly expensive. Just a thought.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Sa mk1

The SA MK1's are carb engines...

No airbag's

Good luck with the import since the have to be DOT and ULEV certified for import

Iam going back over to SA again in OCT.

I have a complete front SA clip on my 81 caddy, fenders, core support, bumper,grill, crosshair's

What we need is a exporter to do LTL shipments from SA to the U.S.

Autostyle for parts is a good source :www.autostyle.co.za

Gee-Bee

·
Registered
44,214 Posts
just a FYI....this has gone on and this topic has been posted for years...nothing ever happens, no parts come over, no cars...nothing.
its SUPER hard to get anything from SA and a car is nearly impossible. i've done it and tried and won and lost.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all,

So over a discussion I was having with some family yesterday, I can buy a new / usedish MK1 from Africa and bring it over here for parts, or have the parts brought here for consumption.

For those of you that don't know, they have been selling MK1's there since their run ended here in North America as the Citi Golf.

My question to you all is, are there parts that you guys really need, that would make bringing a few of these over worth the money for an entire new/near new shell and the parts?

Though you can't register it, this is what you would be able to get:

http://www.metromediasa.com/newsarticle.asp?ID=334

and the R model:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/vw-citi-golf-r-line-south-africa/#221427

Just wanted to gauge for a response.

Best Regards,
-R

There are not many MK 1 on the "R" range in SA. Was a special limited edition. So goes for the Golf 5 and 6 here. There are NOT "R's" running up and down in the streets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The SA MK1's are carb engines...

No airbag's

Good luck with the import since the have to be DOT and ULEV certified for import

Iam going back over to SA again in OCT.

I have a complete front SA clip on my 81 caddy, fenders, core support, bumper,grill, crosshair's

What we need is a exporter to do LTL shipments from SA to the U.S.

Autostyle for parts is a good source :www.autostyle.co.za

Gee-Bee
Up and until so 3/4 years ago. Then the 14i and 16i started to take the market over. VW did not have Diesel in these small models, only more expensive cars.

Why the MK 1 was produced until beginning of 2010, it was a affordable vehicle, and there fore very popular by buyers and stealers. The 14i cost you R98 000 ( devide that with 7.5 and you will get close to a the dollar)

Jetta 5 and Golf 6 here are fooking expensive. Over the 300 000 brand. Here is SA VW website, they don't even show car prises. http://www.vw.co.za/models/

·
Registered
44 Posts
just a FYI....this has gone on and this topic has been posted for years...nothing ever happens, no parts come over, no cars...nothing.
its SUPER hard to get anything from SA and a car is nearly impossible. i've done it and tried and won and lost.....
The reason why to export a car out of SA is difficult, is that 9 out of 10 times it is a stolen car. It is a national hobby here to steal cars

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
The reason why to export a car out of SA is difficult, is that 9 out of 10 times it is a stolen car. It is a national hobby here to steal cars

I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that it's not road legal anywhere, doesn't meet emission standards, which means you're spending a **** of a lot of money to import a car that you can't use.

you'd be more successful taking a US vin car, importing to SA, swapping VIN tags, and sneaking a new one back into the country as a "SA style" modified US, or german made VW. unless I'm mistaken they don't consider complete cars as "parts cars" without it being chopped, or stripped.

I've debated bring non approved canada models back into the country as parts cars, but have not found any evidence that a running and driving car can cross the border as parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that it's not road legal anywhere, doesn't meet emission standards, which means you're spending a **** of a lot of money to import a car that you can't use.

you'd be more successful taking a US vin car, importing to SA, swapping VIN tags, and sneaking a new one back into the country as a "SA style" modified US, or german made VW. unless I'm mistaken they don't consider complete cars as "parts cars" without it being chopped, or stripped.

I've debated bring non approved canada models back into the country as parts cars, but have not found any evidence that a running and driving car can cross the border as parts.
The tendency is to bring in engines by the heaps. Importing cars is another story. Left hand drive ( American cars) where allowed to be imported, but not anymore, now it is illegal.

You must come and make a turn in Durban. There are wharehouses full of imported cars from Japan. Brand spanking fooking new, but not allowed to be distributed here. Gathering dust.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.