VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Banned
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well basically, they are blacklisted by the riv (www.riv.ca) for no apprent reason, I am having no luck with VWOC to get the resources I need to get them off of the blacklist... anyone have any suggestions? basically, transport canada wants to know, part #'s in between the american and candian models that are different, they want to know what specifications need to be changed (if any) to make the corrado comply with CMVSS (canadian motor vehicle safety standards) and they want a letter from VW of north america, saying that the vehicle can be modified to meet CMVSS
anyone know anyone? or have any suggestions?

· Banned
21,931 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (Big Dac With Fries)

Quote, originally posted by Big Dac With Fries »
Dave,
Why not live up to your Grimsby-******* heritage and stamp out your own VIN using some hammer punches and a soup can?

I though it was Zip tying a Canadian Dash over top of the American Dash

· Banned
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: importing a corrado (dubsix)

dac, paul,i am serious about this, and have been on the phone with yahoo's repeating myself for 5 hours, to no avail.... so while i appreciate your humour, now isnt really the time
thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 1phtgti at 4:55 PM 9-13-2005

· Banned
21,931 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (1phtgti)

Quote, originally posted by 1phtgti »
dac, paul, seriously
piss off, I am serious about this, and ive been on the phone with yahoo's repeating myself for 5 hours, to no avail.... so while i appreciate your humour, now isnt really the time
thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Deffenitly talk to Brian "Passsat" he's quickly becoming a Corrado Guru he should be able to point you in the right direction for the Part numbers

· Premium Member
15,228 Posts

Dave, for the amount of grief you'll endure to make it happen I'd say to find a local one. You'll be glad you did.

· Banned
21,931 Posts

put it this way,
I must have the corrado I am buying, it is not your "normal" rado, so I am very adamant about getting it here

Can you get it into Canada as a "Parts" car ?

· Premium Member
15,228 Posts

put it this way,
I must have the corrado I am buying, it is not your "normal" rado, so I am very adamant about getting it here

Good luck. I hope you don't get bent over to get it done.

· Banned
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: importing a corrado (Mr King)

Quote, originally posted by Mr King »

Good luck. I hope you don't get bent over to get it done.

moderator?

I don't plan on getting bent over, but I am currently taking steps to get the corrado removed from the RIV's blacklist
and if that doesnt work, then I gotta get it mported n a salvage title only

· Registered
2,149 Posts

To sum up you're SOL if it's newer than 15 years old. I've got my own issues with Transport Canada re: their rules (see my other post).
Yes, you can import it is a written off vehicle but you will not EVER get a Form 1 which you need in order to register it. I also personally wouldn't be going for a US model simply b/c of the autobelts. This is btw the reason you are not allowed to import a US-spec Corrado b/c you are NOT allowed to make modifications to a factory restraint system.

· Registered
15,881 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (heizervr6)

OMFG did Russ pawn moderator duties off on King or was it VWGuy

Dave...maybe I'm just a hungarian *******, but if its THAT important, I'd say bring it back as "for parts" keep yer eyes peeled for a Canadian Salvaged titled Rado...or maybe one being parted out...<cough> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2138143 <cough> so that you can get a shell with a vin (and maybe some misc parts like seat belts...then one day should you find yourself sufficiently liquored and with a drill in hand (not that the crazy hungarian operates or condones the operation of power tools while under the influence) you might sneeze and have the VIN's fall of said american "for parts only" corrado. Then maybe the next morning, local woodland creatures might have taken up your cause and affixed the VIN's from the canadian shell to the american car in an attempt to help you register said Corrado....chipmunks can be very industrious!

· Premium Member
15,228 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (Crazy Hungarian)

Quote, originally posted by Crazy Hungarian »
OMFG did Russ pawn moderator duties off on King or was it VWGuy

Both. They hate all of you guys......

· Registered
3,798 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (Mr King)

Good luck on the Corrado thing. I went through this 5-6 years ago.
Inadmissable....Don't ask questions, don't waste your time.
I was told it could not even be entered as a salvage title since it is inadmissable.

· Registered
6,388 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (VWXTC)

i understand what you are all saying about switching the vins...but "if " he were to be buildign a respectable one of a kind raddo...would you now rather now that there are no glutches in the car that could get you in trouble with the law, and or risk having your pride and joy conviscated by the boys in blue....i know despirate times call for despirate messures... but i don't think that's a happy option. claiming the car aa a wreck sure but that seems to eb alot of work to get the inspections done, no?
what is so different between the us and canadian models anyways

· Registered
6,872 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (big_b)

I know this is probably a huge inconvenience for the seller, but why not just have the current owner put it on the back of a truck and tow it across the border? Have him either say that it is going into a shop for some kind of engine or body work, or have him say that he is attending a racing event somewhere in Ontario. Have him tow it across, then to your house, so you can "git er done!". It's worth a shot.

Modified by seL at 5:21 PM 9-13-2005

· Registered
19,774 Posts
Re: importing a corrado (big_b)

Quote, originally posted by big_b »
i understand what you are all saying about switching the vins...but "if " he were to be buildign a respectable one of a kind raddo...would you now rather now that there are no glutches in the car that could get you in trouble with the law, and or risk having your pride and joy conviscated by the boys in blue....i know despirate times call for despirate messures... but i don't think that's a happy option. claiming the car aa a wreck sure but that seems to eb alot of work to get the inspections done, no?
what is so different between the us and canadian models anyways

Some good legal/moral points there!
But to quote fopeano (a MK2 forum junkie) "The unibody is just another replaceable part."
Apply that principle to the VIN... it's what a friend of mine did...

Seriously, if you do "it" correctly (swap ALL VINs), how can you tell it's not the correct VIN for the car?
Color doesn't match? - "The car was painted, officer."
Engine block doesn't match? - "The engine blew up trying to keep up with an 8v, officer."
No door sticker? - "Like I said, the car was painted, officer."
"If you'll check the firewall/raintray and the dash, officer, you'll see that they match."
A friend of mine even went the distance as to "swap" over VIN engraved glass!
In regards to the US-CDN differences, some differences might be the same as the MK2 - since Corrados are kinda MK2s.
Kneebars - Yanks had them, Canucks didn't.
DTRL - Yanks never got them, we got them in 1990ish.
Seatbelts - Yanks had the door mounted style (like many early 90's GM vehicles), Canucks got the conventional style.
Instruments - Metric system, duh.
Our GTXs came with rear headrests, while the US GLIs had none.
Is this car a 49 state car, or a Cali car?

Modified by Big Dac With Fries at 7:49 PM 9-13-2005

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.