VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share this improvement with other Audi owners. :worky:
I felt that my drivetrain wasn't mounted sturdy enough on my stage 3+ Audi S4, even with all 4 RS4 mounts, the poly front snubber and an AWE driveline stabilizer.
I noticed that the mount for the driveline stabilizer looked like an old chevrolet transmission mount. So I measured it and sure enough it was. So I wanted to replace the flimsy rubber mount with a polyurethane one.
The mount I used was Energy Suspension part number 3-1108G
When I received the new mount in the mail from summit for all of $29 with handling I could tell that it was about 1/8 thicker. This may be attributed to the fact that my rubber mount had 50k miles on it. So I installed it anyway.
The only two things I had to change about the mount was not to use the 1/8 thick metal backing plate since the AWE stabilizer had a flat aluminum plate that would serve the same purpose. Also the bolts to the new mount (where the mount meats the stabilizer bar) were 7/16-14 thread and the old ones were 3/8. So I went to the hardware store and purchased 2 new allen bolts that were 7/16-14 thread and 1" long. The fit with a little bit of grinding on the outside of the allen head. Only about a tenth of an inch.
BEST OF ALL when I was all done, their was NO ADDED VIBRATION FROM THE MOTOR felt in the car. Felt the same, except that the drivtrain felt way more stable.
Here is the comparison of the mounts side by side:

Polyurethane mount installed:

Here is the parts list to make it easy on ya.
1. Energy Suspension part number 3-1108G, (Prothane makes this mount too)
2. 2 7/16-14 allen bolts 1" in length.

Thats it!
It helped me, hopefully it helps you.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Re: Improvement for Audi driveline stabilizers (jaybquick)

Sweet! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Re: Improvement for Audi driveline stabilizers (PhunkFX)

dude that is awesome. Good one for the FAQ and the S4 Bible!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Improvement for Audi driveline stabilizers (rennis)

Yup, that is why I posted it so it can be added. It has worked really well for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts