VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The excitement (sarcasim).
I am thinking about fabricating something to go between the front of the airbox to the shroud thingy on the back of the headlight just to make sure it is cold air going into the airbox.
Ideas? Should I can it and just leave the snorkel out and live it up?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (PerfectGLi)

i managed to squeezed some aluminum dryer hose to the lower part of my front bumper. I also capped off the rear part of the airbox. I definetly felt a power increase.

[Modified by OZ jetta, 11:20 AM 1-28-2003]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (OZ jetta)

its a good thing to run cold air but eventually the computer starts to recognize a change and the car will start to run to rich, causing you to have to spend a lot of money on gas. just some advice. I'd go with an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (the_4ork)

theres a pipe that runs from the rear of the box to the exhaust manifold. Inside theres a flap that allow warm air into the box for those cold winters
quote:[HR][/HR]ehh... what is that hose that is at the back of the airbox to the exhaust manifold... what does that do?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
42,999 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (the_4ork)

quote:[HR][/HR]ehh... what is that hose that is at the back of the airbox to the exhaust manifold... what does that do?[HR][/HR]​
its for cold starts, in theory it should suck hot air off the exhuast mani and into the airbox helping with the cold start. you can get rid of it it wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (audiblue87gti)

nothing wrong yet for me
quote:[HR][/HR]its a good thing to run cold air but eventually the computer starts to recognize a change and the car will start to run to rich, causing you to have to spend a lot of money on gas. just some advice. I'd go with an aftermarket intake.
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
42,999 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]nothing wrong yet for me
its a good thing to run cold air but eventually the computer starts to recognize a change and the car will start to run to rich, causing you to have to spend a lot of money on gas. just some advice. I'd go with an aftermarket intake.
[HR][/HR]​
pretty sure the computers in these cars arent advanced enough to do that...maybe in a mk4 but even then its not gonna make a huge difference. especially if its a 16v cis-e which uses a plate for feuling and doesnt even have any sort of ecu controlled feuling

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (ValveCoverGasket)

Umm, these are all closed-loop fuel injection cars (unless someone's specifically modded things otherwise). The system will maintain stoichiometric ratio, which is to say you're neither going to run lean nor rich (actually, you'll oscillate between them ever so slightly, but close enough).
More air means the car adds more fuel to balance, which if you can ignite it, get work from it, and then exhaust it, you get more power. If it works, you avoid wasting gas with your right foot. The gas pedal is actually an air pedal, as it modulates the throttle body, which restricts the incoming airflow to varying degrees.

Cold intake air is denser than warm intake air, which is why it's good to get outside air instead of that from the engine bay. You still have most of the restrictions downstream of course.
In any event, it's a harmless mod, and might make a slight improvement. Just make sure you've got an air filter to catch anything that comes straight into the box.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (negativl)

yea i've gotten leaves and other various plant materials in the box, being that my intake pipe is right next to the fog light opening of my bumper. So it gets stuff from the ground too
quote:[HR][/HR]
Cold intake air is denser than warm intake air, which is why it's good to get outside air instead of that from the engine bay. You still have most of the restrictions downstream of course.
In any event, it's a harmless mod, and might make a slight improvement. Just make sure you've got an air filter to catch anything that comes straight into the box.
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,285 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]yea i've gotten leaves and other various plant materials in the box, being that my intake pipe is right next to the fog light opening of my bumper. So it gets stuff from the ground too[HR][/HR]​
Really? I've never seen any foreign debris (other than dust) in my airbox, and there are no trim pieces anywhere to stop anything.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (fopeano)

I think even if our ecu's were adaptive enough to do something like make the car run rich after the airbox mod....I dont think there is a good enough increase in flow to make such a profound change.
I just did it for the growl anyhow

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (fopeano)

quote:[HR][/HR]Really? I've never seen any foreign debris (other than dust) in my airbox, and there are no trim pieces anywhere to stop anything.[HR][/HR]​
Just a matter of time and you will have this:

Yes those are dead mice!!

[Modified by Ovey1, 3:34 PM 1-28-2003]

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (Ovey1)

quote:[HR][/HR]Really? I've never seen any foreign debris (other than dust) in my airbox, and there are no trim pieces anywhere to stop anything.
Just a matter of time and you will have this:

Yes those are dead mice!!
LOL my car sat in our shop garage for about a year and when I went to replace the air filter, i had a lil mice nest within, also dog food stored. Damn mice!

[Modified by Ovey1, 3:34 PM 1-28-2003][HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: In all its glory...the 16v Airbox mod. (pubahs)

Sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in the "nauseated" meaning of the word.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.