VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Still looks like a good run. I must have missed it... what is wrong with the Miata? :confused:
Needs front main seal. Timing pulley was glued (loctited, eopxied, whatever) to the crank by the PO after a crank nose repair. Solution: use as commuter car only until I feel like dealing with it properly.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Got another opportunity to drive my buddy's class-winning STR NC Miata, though this time in fantastic weather conditions so we could bolt on a set of Kuhmo 710 R-compounds. We ran with the local BMWCCA chapter at the hometown ballpark, which also had a big dog expo going on at the same time so we lost some lot space for that. This resulted in a pretty short course (FTD was very close to 31 seconds) but it was a decent day regardless. In a small race tire class I was 4th out of 5, but I was a good co-driver because I did not beat the car owner.

The wife drove our STS car and had a really good day, winding up 5th in a 16-driver non-BMW small bore class.

Next week it's back to FedEx Field for the second SCCA points event of the year.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Here is my first place run in STX last weekend. I know you can't see the course well but I wanted to see how close to the cones I was getting on the passenger side

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
This is the missus driving, not me. She ran the WDCR SCCA Level II school on Sunday. They ran it on basically the same course used at their first points event a few weeks ago, so we can now compare her video from that to this one from Sunday and see where she found improvements.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
And we're back at FedEx Field where I'm now two-for-two in STS to start the local SCCA season. No late-day heroics needed this time, I started out decent and improved in small bites to take the six-driver class by 2.25 seconds.

Tried something different with the second camera, mounting it inside the door window to shoot the incredibly vain driver to see how much (or how little) I'm looking ahead. Instead I'm laughing at my grimaces and flared nostrils. It's on this video after the lap shot from a more typical camera location.

This past week we registered for the SCCA Solo National Championships that'll be in Nebraska this September. We still have no business being in an event that has "championship" as part of its name but we'll try to crack the top 30 this year (we were 31st and 34th out of 39 in our first try last year).

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Saturday's adventure was a double day put on by Autocrossers, Inc. here in Waldorf, MD. We got four runs in the morning, then took a break after that where we got a hot lunch served inside the stadium, then came back to a reversed/tweaked course and got four runs on that.

Me and the missus brought both STS cars and I started in my '90 on aging RE11s that have a metric ton of runs on them. After two runs we swapped cars and I wound up in our regular autocrosser, the '93 on fresh full-tread R1Rs. I found the magic on my last run and chopped off 1.3 seconds to wind up 7th out of 16 in the PAX'd Pro class.

During lunch I accepted an invitation to co-drove a longtime driver's C Stock MSM. I found its power delivery to not be as peaky as our MSM and that, combined with the extra stick of Hoosiers, made for a fun drive. The clock didn't reflect that, though, and I was only 13th in Pro.

This video has the best morning and afternoon runs:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We had a fanfreakintastic weekend at FedEx Field with WDCR SCCA. Schedule changes late in the season (the club is at the mercy of the Redskins after all) meant shuffling some dates around and part of that was rescheduling two events to this past Saturday and Sunday.

I've been on a bit of a roll this year, having won the two previous DC events in STS. I kept up the winning ways on Saturday with a 1.4 second win in a six-driver class. I had two reruns (timing glitch, then a wandering course worker) so not only did I have extra laps but I knew before I went out for my last run that I had the class won. I almost didn't even go out for that last run but figured I'd really push it and see what I could do, knowing that if I started getting out of my tree I could just shut it down and coast to the finish. It turned out that on that last banzai run I found another .7 improvement:

Sunday we ran the same course backwards. Our class was up to eight drivers and I fully expected to see my win streak end since one entrant was Mike Snyder in the CRX that Ian Baker runs at the pointy end of national events with. To my surprise I could run with Snyder after the first couple runs and squeaked ahead of him on third runs. I thought I gave away the store when I couldn't improve on my fourth run, but he also slowed down on his fourth so I left doing cartwheels knowing I beat one of the cars that I've considered my nemesis since I first got into this. This doesn't mean I think I can go out and beat Ian the next time we run together (he's moved on to CSP locally this year) but I think I'm getting closer, maybe close enough that he won't smack me down by five seconds anymore.

But the best part of Sunday was that the wife really stepped up as well. She picked up 1.1 seconds on her last run and wound up third behind me and Snyder, beating the couple in the MR2 that we've run against. She was also doing cartwheels in grid after the fact.

Next week we run the Evo Super Shootout in Dover and the way the car is running and the way we're driving, we cannot wait.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hey that Evo Super Shootout was tough. I liked my chances at getting into the 64-car shootout when there was a 90-driver entry, but when it turned into a 130-driver entry with a lot of familiar names I knew my battle was an uphill one.

The course seemed to favor high HP/high grip cars and us little wheezers on street tires did not fare well. I wound up third in class competition on Saturday and far away from the cut to make the top 32 in PAX to get into the shootout. Sunday we got two more shots and I couldn't improve further, again not even close to the top 16 that would gain entry into the brackets. My last hope was the random draw and we failed there as well. That was bad and good at the same time: bad that our weekend was done, but good that we could load up and head home early after a couple of 100+ degree days in a parking lot.

Looking forward to next weekend's WDCR at FedEx Field and a return to being actually competitive.

Photo op with "Miles"

The missus

Me

Video of both Saturday's best and Sunday's best

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Here's a couple from our last autocross, and if you follow the sccaforums, you've no doubt read the **** storm that ensued following it. Either way, I made some more progress with a still new to me ES Miata. Here's my 2nd run with a pretty good spin and my quickest, although not best driver final 4th run. Finished 6th in PAX for the day which is my highest so far. B.&H. Borowski didn't do anyone a favor with their Nationals performance last September.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Satuday's local BMWCCA autocross. I was third out of 14 in non-BMW small-bore

Sunday's Autocrossers Inc, same location. First me, then the missus

121 - 136 of 136 Posts