VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the complete set (I can guarantee this is the list for the 97, other models may vary.) from superbrightleds.com
The list I am posting includes bulbs for the following, all in white; VDO 52mm boost gauge, dome light, front map lights, rear map lights, trunk lights, glove box light, and the rear tag (licence plate) lights.
Quantity: 3
Product: WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb $ 2.99 (each) Options: Cool White WLED-CW5 0.95
Quantity: 2
Product: BA9s-x4-12V LED Bayonet Base bulb $ 1.98 (each) Options: White BA9s-W4-12V 1.00
Product: 4211-x6 LED Festoon bulb $ 1.95 (each) Options: White 4211-W6 1.75
Product: 3610-x4 LED Festoon bulb $ 1.89 (each) Options: White 3610-W4 0.95
Pic of front dome and map lights:

Modified by unorthodoksa4 at 9:31 PM 4/23/2008

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: In case anyone needs a product list for LEDs.. (zombieattack)

the total for all interior bulbs (including VDO, excluding tag lights) was $30 before shipping. Now, I ordered the tag lights bulbs from 42DD prior to this, but they are the same as the dome light

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: In case anyone needs a product list for LEDs.. (unorthodoksa4)

OP updated with a pic.

·
17,317 Posts
Re: In case anyone needs a product list for LEDs.. (unorthodoksa4)

I think a nice addition to this thread would be some talk of the LED choice vreihenmotor6 made for his trunk... John??
edit for spelling: god I suck at typing on the PDA phone sometimes.

Modified by robbyb413 at 7:57 AM 4/24/2008

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: In case anyone needs a product list for LEDs.. (robbyb413)

Quote, originally posted by robbyb413 »
I think a nice addition to this thread would be dome talk of the LED choice vreihenmotor6 made for his trunk... John??

what choice was that...I cant recall...
in4pix

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (71DubBugBug)

Quote, originally posted by 71DubBugBug »
what seats are those?

stock sport cloth

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (OWENthatsmyname)

Quote, originally posted by OWENthatsmyname »
i want those seats instead of the leater in my S

lol, believe me, youre not the only one.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Re: (unorthodoksa4)

Robbie asked me to so here it goes:
not LEDs, but CCFLs

you can baely see them, but I have twin 12" tubes mouted to the top of the trunk compartment
they draw very little current and can be run off the stock trunk light
they provide a ton of useable light
they are also super cheap
I din't get mine from here, but here is an example of a place to get them
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556012009.html
I think I paid about 15 shipped for mine
I drilled thru the left one by mistake so its not as bight, when I'm not lazy I'll get another set and mount these in the GF's car

Modified by VReihenmotor6 at 6:03 PM 4-24-2008

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Re: (Jettakid88)

I wouldn't think so, by deffination leds put out much less heat than an incandesant bulb, the only thing I'sd think that would be a source of heat would be the limiting resistor

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (Jettakid88)

Quote, originally posted by Jettakid88 »
unorthodoksa4: i've heard rumors of LED lights melting the plastic around them. Have you had anything burn/melt yet?

nothing yet, but its only been a few days.
ive had the LEDs in my tag light bulbs for about a month now and there are no issues there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: In case anyone needs a product list for LEDs.. (.Mad Hatter.)

Mad Hatter thanks for the tip on the lights, I want to try this for my '99 Avant, just one question which lights go where?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
They're all packaged individually and labeled to where they need to go. I have replaced all of my interior lights/trunk lights with red LEDs and they match the Audi signature red interior lights PERFECTLY. I love it. However my car is a '96 and the two reading light LEDs won't work because of a switched polarity that can't be undone. Anyway superbrightleds.com is a great site and shipping only took 4 days for me, both times. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: (NickBroderick)

Thank you. The site is a bit difficult to navigate through. Are they all Cool, natural, or warm white? There is also an option for the Bayonet light for either 32 or 90 degree light, which one? I have an Avant so I think I need a few more bulbs for the hatch area, any advice? Thanks!

Modified by drdoom at 12:19 AM 2-9-2010

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: In case anyone needs a product list for LEDs.. (.Mad Hatter.)

Quote, originally posted by .Mad Hatter. »

Product: WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb $ 2.99 (each) Options: Cool White WLED-CW5 0.95
Quantity: 2
Product: BA9s-x4-12V LED Bayonet Base bulb $ 1.98 (each) Options: White BA9s-W4-12V 1.00
Product: 4211-x6 LED Festoon bulb $ 1.95 (each) Options: White 4211-W6 1.75
Product: 3610-x4 LED Festoon bulb $ 1.89 (each) Options: White 3610-W4 0.95

oh man, I cant remember what goes where. I will say this though; once you order them you cant mess it up. all the bulbs i bought were cool white, what you get depends on your personal taste...
regarding the bayonet light, which one matches the product code i posted? i dont recall having any option.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Roger that... Thanks again, I couldn't find thr "Bayonet" bulbs but did after I typed it in the search field. A few options came up, maybe the menu changed in the 20 months since you posted your DYI. Thanks though I'll pull the trigger and advise. Going to stick with cool white.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts