VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of u have installed a indash dvd player? how many of you are happy with it? how many problems did u run into doing this, and will it work with the stock amp and speakers? which brand did you go with? ok i'm asking all these questions because i'm trying to make up my mind on which unit to go with and whats the best bang for the buck however i'm going to have the shop i buy the unit from install it

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: in-dash dvd ? (337mywetdream)

anyone even gonna take a peek at my post. i'm stuck between the way to expensive pioneer model what the heck u call it with built in nav and trackin, and the not so expensive kenwood 815, which really matches the car

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

i've installed tons oof them(as i am an installer
) and i can honestly say there hasnt been 1 problem that i have come across.no skipping no distortion no nothin....hope that helps you

·
Registered
393 Posts

I had the Kenwood DDX7015 in my GTI for a short while. Install was easy to integrate with Monsoon and the color match was near perfect. Didn't care much for the unit, so I went a different route.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: in-dash dvd ? (Tool_GTI)

what was it that u didn't like about the kenwood, and what did u go with now. the kenwood i'm looking at now is a perfect match

·
Registered
393 Posts

I went with the Alpine CDA-9835 instead, mainly for Ipod integration. The Kenwood was nice, but to "simple". It doesn't give you a lot of control over EQ and no screen animations to choose from. Only a boring, very bright (can be dimmed)) cloud scene and a few equally boring wallpapers.. Also-the preouts on the deck are only 2 volts. It played DVD's well though. If I were to do it again, I'd pay the extra and go with Eclipse's new in dash screen. The navigation is built into the unit and features a dual slot design (unlike the Kenwood), so you can read nav discs and listen to/watch DVD's.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

yeah the shop that i'm buying this from as soon as i can pay it off has the new pioneer unit which is pretty sweet cause not only will it play dvd's and has the built in nav but it also monitors your car, but its like 600 more bills

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

how did u lose money and i put this up here cause i'm not finding too much out there to say which unit is the better one. so far from what i've read on the few sites i've found they give the new kenwoods a decent rating

·
Registered
35,212 Posts

I have the kenwood 911dvd... I loved it untill it broke 2 times in 1 year. They fixed it, but it should have been replaced with a brand new unit ($2,100 retail) Since I have all other Alpine Components, I would have gone with that (knowing I would have all Alpine) For the price the new Alpine Unit (touch Screen) can't be beat. The screen quality is beyond anything. 1.5 million pixels (or something like that) but the pioneer unit has more features and neat toys. It depends on what you want. You want the cleanest screen (go Alpine) you want neato toys with an decient screen (pioneer)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: in-dash dvd ? (CapeGLS)

which is the alpine and whats it run, the shop i went to the only alpine unit they had was just the screen but no dvd in it

·
Registered
625 Posts

The Alpine IVA-300 is very nice.... I love the "tactile" touch screen (try one out... hard to describe it, but very cool) Cosmetics and Illumination are nice. The only thing is the routine you have to go through to watch video on the thing.... but hey, that's what the Black Box is for
. Another unit worth looking at is the Clarion VRX-745VD. Cosmetically, very sexy. The lighting is almost perfect. Picture is nice, screen dosen't seem to get mucked up with fingerprints too easily..... and it controls all sorts of stuff( 5.1 processor, Sirius, changers, etc.) The Alpine does the Ipod thing, controls all sorts of stuff as well, so really, it comes down to price, and cosmetics.
YMMV
(Course I get 45 'cause I drive a TDI!)
Gus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts