VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in February of 2014, I bought my golf for $800. It's been sitting in our driveway ever since with no issues. Around August, our nosy-ass neighbor makes a phone call to the homeowner's association to bitch about the car because it isn't running and it's being worked on. Our other neighbor to our left is doing the same thing as I am - with two trucks. No complaints against him.

One day, left-neighbor catches right-neighbor in our ****ing driveway with a notepad and on his phone, looking at my golf. Balls, man.

Finally, last week, we get our "final warning" letter from the HOA that the car needs to be either gone or running in one week or we face a $50 fine every single time they see it, which they come by twice a week for their little patrols.

Today, she moved into her new home - the storage facility up the street. I think she'll be more happy there.

Forgot to get a picture of it in the storage unit, but it's pretty big. $70 a month and no more bitching HOA or nosy neighbors. Oh, and no more complaining grandmother wanting me to "get rid of that damn car" because she simply doesn't like it.

In short, **** homeowner's associations and nosy neighbors.

Tell me your HOA horror stories.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't have a home owners association and wouldn't move somewhere that had one. I did however get a letter from my township about a passat shell I had from a car I parted. I got rid of it but still kept parting cars whenever I wanted. Just made sure they didn't sit too long. I also plan to put a car tent to hide it next time:laugh:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Well, I live on the ghetto side of town, so even when I parted an 86 GLI no one had anything to say. It actually looked as good or maybe better than my neighbors Ford Probe :laugh:
Hahaha. :laugh: It's funny how i did get a letter. I'm quite sure someone complained because there are junk cars and trashy looking properties al around town that have been that way for years. Some people honestly just have nothing better to do.....:beer:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha. :laugh: It's funny how i did get a letter. I'm quite sure someone complained because there are junk cars and trashy looking properties al around town that have been that way for years. Some people honestly just have nothing better to do.....:beer:
EXACTLY. There's at least three other people on this street alone who violate the HOA contract all the time. No complaints about them.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I'm not gonna go into all the details because we all have other **** we need to be doing.

Cliff Notes: I bought a house in a new neighborhood. No HOA. In fact I specifically asked the builder to put a note that there is no HOA on the paperwork at closing.

Once I got moved in I started doing some work on my cars in the garage ( key phrase In The Garage) one day there was a letter taped to the door from the neighborhood HOA stating its against their regs to work on cars in this subdivision, inside the garage or not.

So I called the builder, and my agent and asked them WTF was going on. They didn't know.

Them the cops starting showing up. Coming to my house about all kinds of bull**** complaints. County inspectors too.

The whole time I'm still getting letters from the non-existent HOA taped to my door about once a week.

This went on for about two years off and on until I built a detached garage in the back yard.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not gonna go into all the details because we all have other **** we need to be doing.

Cliff Notes: I bought a house in a new neighborhood. No HOA. In fact I specifically asked the builder to put a note that there is no HOA on the paperwork at closing.

Once I got moved in I started doing some work on my cars in the garage ( key phrase In The Garage) one day there was a letter taped to the door from the neighborhood HOA stating its against their regs to work on cars in this subdivision, inside the garage or not.

So I called the builder, and my agent and asked them WTF was going on. They didn't know.

Them the cops starting showing up. Coming to my house about all kinds of bull**** complaints. County inspectors too.

The whole time I'm still getting letters from the non-existent HOA taped to my door about once a week.

This went on for about two years off and on until I built a detached garage in the back yard.
But...how would they know you were working on cars...inside the garage? What if the door was closed? Do they own x-Ray glasses? What business of theirs would it be?

10,945 Posts

Was it a pissy neighbor who was pretending to be the HOA?

I'd press charges for constantly coming on private property. Even if they didn't stick. Set up a camera.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I feel your pain man.... Luckily I used to work for the HOA I am currently living in and I have a garage but during my rebuild I got a lot of phone calls about putting tools and parts away as if my garage was actually built to work in... it's extremely small :banghead::banghead:

That is the problem with HOA's though... It is where the elementary school tattle tales go to live... 1 in 4 houses is a bored miserable person who just needs something to do

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
But...how would they know you were working on cars...inside the garage? What if the door was closed? Do they own x-Ray glasses? What business of theirs would it be?
I was working with the door up. Summers here are brutal.

The detached is behind a privacy fence, and has A/C and (somewhat) heat. So I can keep the doors closed.

Have not had any further problems since moving operations out of the view of nosy neighbors.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is the problem with HOA's though... It is where the elementary school tattle tales go to live... 1 in 4 houses is a bored miserable person who just needs something to do
The elementary school tattle tales never turned out to be smart enough to be politicians so a homeowner's association was what they were condemned to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.