VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stashing my cars’ insurance cards and looking at the crumpled envelope I use in the S2000 to hold paperwork. In my other cars I just put my insurance card (paper) and registration in the folio that comes with the owners’ manual. My S2000 never came with a manual, so that’s out. But I want something nicer than a nasty old envelope. Thinking just buy a cheap passport wallet to store/protect the two slips of paper, but does anyone have a more creative solution? Or does everyone just have an owner’s manual in which to stash papers?

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
The tag and title place I use gives out a plastic sleeve with a clear front. I keep the registration and insurance cards in it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
2,377 Posts
All my Subaru stuff is packed into a leather, Subaru branded case. Does Honda offer something similar? Maybe from a different model?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I got a cheap wallet-like thing from Amazon that has 2 plastic sleeves. It's about the size of an old 5.25" floppy disk, which is nice because it holds my registration and insurance proof without folding.

I decided I needed to do something when I threw away the ratty envelope that had my docs in it after confusing it for other old papers in the glovebox. I've also kept stuff in the owner's manual, but decided against it after I left the manual on my workbench for a few weeks after pulling it out to look up a fluid capacity.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to keep it in the “secret compartment” which holds a normal envelope perfectly but a bigger thing like a plastic folder would be too large. I think a passport wallet is probably the right size.

·
Registered
2021 Jetta SEL
100 Posts
I use an envelope with a handwritten label on it. Sometimes it's a little hard to find amoung all the other white-paper junk that accumulates in my glovebox.

I used to have one of these and I think I'll get one again.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
41,648 Posts
Don’t you have all sorts of S2k knickknacks? Why not source an OE manual, I’m sure your car has a specific place where it fits snugly.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
My Elantra came with a bunch of fancy pleather document holders for the owners manual and whatnot. I kept them when I sold the car and use them in my celica. Nice and neat.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
For each car, I just use a regular white envelope. I write "2008 Ford Ranger" (or whatever) on the envelope and put it down at the bottom of the glove box. I figure I'd need to access it once every six months (to swap insurance cards) and one every two years to swap registration cards. The only things I keep in the envelope are the registration card and insurance card.

I've tried specific 'document holder' things with clear plastic windows, but the ink on the paperwork tended to melt to the plastic and stick to the window anyway. It wasn't worth it. The white envelope is also easy to spot if I need it quickly (accident/ pulled over). I wouldn't overthink it- the envelope works well.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,107 Posts
I have one of these in the Miata from the local garage that does my inspections. It's imprinted with their logo and info.

I bought these for the other cars and in both cases the ink from the prints bled onto the clear plastic. Not a fan.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
I keep the owner's manual/paperwork in my desk in the house (to free up room for other stuff). I keep one insurance card and the registration in the bottom of the glove box (loose) and one in my wallet behind my license. That way there's one in the car if needed and one that I don't have to fumble around for if I get pulled over.

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,426 Posts
Wait you don't just toss it in the glove box and dig for it when you need it?

I must be the only one....
Yeah I uhh do this too. I really don't have a lot going on in my glove box though, it's just owners manual, registration, insurance info, and spare napkins/straws. Occasionally another doc will end up in there temporarily.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts