Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Just buy more money. :confused::confused::confused:
Where can I get these parts.

This, if you cut out outrageous cell phone bills, $100 trips to the bar, $200 shoes you can pay off a lot of debt.
I don't disagree that housing / insurance / school costs are insane but I would say income is only half of the equation. What you spend is too. I see so many younger co-workers spending money on Starbucks, eating lunch out, new electronics, going out drinking (at lease before Covid). It's all about what you want your priorities to be.
Long story short, the only reason I don't have student loan debt is because of a lawsuit settlement.

Other than that, my cell phone bill is $100/month. I don't (and didn't) go the bar. The most expensive shoes I'll buy (besides nice boots every 5 years) is $80. Now I don't go ANYWHERE.

I don't piss away money. Cost of living, taxes, etc. It adds up. And getting ahead/saving? Seems less and less feasible every year.

Mind you, I'm not complaining at all. I'm making more than I ever thought I would. It's just hard to imagine going out and buying a new car that doesn't do everything. My girlfriend would need to use it. We'd like to have a kid soon. I wouldn't get rid of the E46, but it certainly would be a bold choice for a daily. Sports cars are most likely totally off the table.

I'm incredibly grateful (though it may seem otherwise sometimes) for what I have. But man...it'd be real sweet to get to live out my enthusiast dreams some day.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Poor people in this country have never been wealthier. Everyone lives in air conditioning, has multiple cars, cable TV, Netflix, internet access, laptops, flat panel TVs, and the newest cell phone. They eat out at restaurants so much they're morbidly obese.

People didn't have nearly as much crap when I was growing up as they do now. Cut all the recurring bills that are not necessities and people could afford housing, health care, and new cars. But that ain't what they're spending their money on.
Yes, cause phone and TV prices have come down immensely. Healthcare, education, and housing have done the opposite. Which is more important?

Most truly poor people eat fast food or buy **** from Dollar General. LOL if you think they're dropping $50 a night at Olive Garden for a family of 4.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, cause phone and TV prices have come down. Healthcare, education, and housing have done the opposite. Which is more important?
Not only have healthcare, education and housing done the opposite, but they've done so exponentially and well beyond the rate of wage increases.

·
Premium Member
18,248 Posts
I mean, I only got my BRZ after 20 years of the same damn old car. Which I still have. Because it's the backup car for my kids. Who may never be able to get fancy new cars.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
24,813 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't understand why this is such an issue. I did get some help in undergrad from grants and scholarships but I've paid my way through a masters + 45 and an additional degree. I keep hearing talk of the government paying off student debt but what about those of us who sacrificed to pay for college?

This, if you cut out outrageous cell phone bills, $100 trips to the bar, $200 shoes you can pay off a lot of debt.
Ah yes, the entire I faced hardship, so everyone else has to as well. "In 1895 I had to work 80 hours a week with no employee protections as a factory worker at age 11, why do people get to work 40 hours a week now!!!"

"Things were bad for me, so they should stay bad for everyone else" is not an argument against debt cancellation, sorry.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
24,813 Posts
Oh hey, someone didn't read my post about the cost of living and education. Are you a Boomer too?
Hey what's up? No, I didn't read you posts.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,669 Posts
So....

People are making less than ever, and houses are expensive.

Sounds like everything is going as planned.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,921 Posts
Same comedians from The Front Fell Off - Clark and Dawe were amazing, I loved their Aussie sense of humor.

And this may have been the best thing to come from the 2012 election:

YES! I was looking for that and couldn't find it, so I settled with that other one.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Check in your wallet.
You can read my posts. You can check my history in the Purchase Thread in OT. I don't blow money on fancy computers. And if I do, it's for freelance work, and it happens once every 7 years or so.

I don't know where anyone is SEEING these people buying $9 coffees every day, $1k phones every year and $4k macbooks every 3 years and complaining. It would be mighty satisfying to talk to them, point out their error and have them fix it.

But acting like that's "the other half" of income inequality is laughable.

Also what would you do with a brand new sports car in Brooklyn, or Harlem?
What kind of question is this? I don't ask why anyone owns anything anywhere. What would you do with a brand new sports car where you live?

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,136 Posts
... but as a reslut of our income inequality, I don't get to buy nice new tech package equipped sports cars...

Lil' freudian slip? Tell us how you really feel about your wife forcing you into old Subies. :laugh:

Others have said it. But I'll say it again. Once adjusted for inflation, almost all cars (yes, even Porsche 911s!) are actually cheaper today than they were back in the days of yore. Income has somewhat adjusted as well, but not much beyond an average rate of inflation. Those slightly adjusted-for-inflation dollars don't go far though. Those dollars get sucked up by skyrocketing healthcare costs, student loans debt, housing costs, and the cost of childcare.

It gets even more dire when you look at macro trends of regressive tax policy, loss of stable employment for large swaths of the population, the decimation of main street in favor of wall street, neoliberal bailouts of corporate robber barons with public dollars, the opioid crises and resultant loss of life (COVID response anyone?), billions spent on middle east proxy wars and bombing 'the others' while educational and social support budgets here at home are left with pennies or pocket lint, the increased privatization and resultant profit-driven management of social sector services, consolidation of wealth and entire industry sectors into private VC funds and international nation-state conglomerates that hide from taxes with creative accounting strategies and international loopholes.... need I go on?

Kudos to Road&Track for linking the discussion to a passion that crosses all sorts of demographics instead of bringing it up in the typical political pissing match style. Income inequality is a bipartisan, universal, inherently human problem. The loss of affordable sports cars is hardly the most concerning outcome of our civilization's slow march towards self-destruction.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You can read my posts. You can check my history in the Purchase Thread in OT. I don't blow money on fancy computers. And if I do, it's for freelance work, and it happens once every 7 years or so.

I don't know where anyone is SEEING these people buying $9 coffees every day, $1k phones every year and $4k macbooks every 3 years and complaining. It would be mighty satisfying to talk to them, point out their error and have them fix it.

But acting like that's "the other half" of income inequality is laughable.

What kind of question is this? I don't ask why anyone owns anything anywhere. What would you do with a brand new sports car where you live?
You are wasting your energy. There are so many people, particularly Boomers, who are divorced from the actual economic reality of the world.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Everything in the article is all well and good, but seems reluctant to face another part of reality, that young people just don't give a **** about cars, period.
Chicken vs. the egg. Most people aren't going to care much about something that they don't likely expect to have the disposable income to own, or just perceive the cost/benefit as too burdensome, so it loses the aspiration cache.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Chicken vs. the egg. Most people aren't going to care much about something that they don't likely expect to have the disposable income to own, or just perceive the cost/benefit as too burdensome, so it loses the aspiration cache.
It's not even chicken egg. It's been de-bunked by many industry studies. Willingness to buy is as high (or higher) in Millenials relative to previous generations. They literally do not have as much disposable income as previous generations due to the sky rocketing costs of living. The most hilarious part is this Pandemic has disproportionately hurt working young people and been a boon to the Boomers. A recent report came out in Canada and the group that received disproportionate amount of government pandemic relief money (CERB in Canada) relative to their income was Boomers.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
24,813 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

Checkmate libs :facepalm:

Judging people for having a flatscreen TV and a "fancy phone"? It's not 1999 you dumb ****s. That flatscreen TV is the only thing you've been able to get for over a decade and is cheap as hell and that's probably a 5 year old Iphone they got for $30.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
8,994 Posts
The article is wrong in a couple of different ways.

A "sports car" from the "1940s to 1970s" was often a lot of ordinary parts re-arranged in a more interesting way, with a larger price for the service. MGBs, Fiat x1/9s, or 240s were quicker and more nimble compared to the cars with which they shared lots of parts, but it wasn't an order of magnitude difference, and they were also pricier. In the mid 1970s the Golf was lauded for performance; I think it had a 79hp engine. These cars were fun, and they let a person escape the misery of land barges or small non-sports cars that most people considered awful.

What is a sports car now? A ton and half and at least 300hp? Other than getting the kind of ticket that has you sent to jail, what does a kid use that for? Even a bad car now is pretty great in that it will start most days and easily break the speed limit.

The other way the article is wrong is in its diagnosis of the problem, and it's preferred solution.

The solution is simple, yet inordinately difficult. If we want to welcome more young enthusiasts into the scene, we need wages to rise. The money is there; the problem is how it’s being distributed. If America returned to an income distribution like we had from the 1940s to the 1970s, the median worker would earn an additional $40,000 every year. That money would go a long way to paying down student debts (or medical debts, or credit card debts), securing mortgages, and maybe, just maybe, purchasing a sweet two-door to park in the garage.
Money isn't distributed from a central hub, but is transferred amongst people who see the value in those transfers. The problem isn't low wages; if it were, employers would raise wages to capture all that idle productivity and talent. Rather the problem is that spending six figures on a liberal arts degree that ends in "studies" doesn't always provide a lot of value for a potential employer. A low wage is the foreseeable result of modest value.

While the immediate aftermath of WWII offered an unusually high wage for only moderately skilled labor, but that was a post war quirk. During most of the three decades identified in the article, a lot of manufacturing labor was fairly skilled even if that skill weren't the product of formal education. The idea that everyone who made it out of high school landed a middle income sort of job is a myth, and a middling income then looks worse than poverty now.

If you are in your 20s, still live at home and are reading this on an iPhone, it isn't obvious that you are the victim of a cosmic injustice that has made modern sports cars expensive.

41 - 60 of 763 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.