VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4,801 Posts
Re: Increasing ride height over stock (Phobia)

One of the coil over manufacturers makes a set that has a two inch range from +1 to -1 inch. I don't remember which it is, but I think it may be H&R. It's one of the bigger names though.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
12,679 Posts

Are you currently using coilovers? If so, try a longer spring. Most coilovers use 7" springs but I believe 8" or 9" springs (with a 2 1/2" ID) are available. Otherwise try springs from a diesel or 16v.

· Banned
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Increasing ride height over stock (ghostrider)

Quote, originally posted by ghostrider »
gunna finally roll on 20's eh dave.
i didn't know they were making type a's that big these days

If they were, I'd find a way to fit them.
The idea is to have a little extra ground clearance for the snow this season(we haven't gotten the big one yet). I promise in-car videos if I can find something that will work. So far, I'm looking at the Shine coilover kits and the Weitec spring distance kits. Any other thoughts or suggestions>

· Registered
4,801 Posts
Re: (Misfit)

Quote, originally posted by Misfit »
waht about golf country parts?

Where would you get them?
Anyroad, the Country has a full frame under it rather than longer shocks/struts.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,403 Posts
Re: (vwgti1986)

Dave,
Remember that struts top as well as bottom out. The noise it makes sounds like the car is falling apart every time the suspension rebounds. Handling isn't so hot either

I had to jack the rabbit ALL the way up to get through the repair orders. When the bottom of the strut piston hit the top of the cartridge I thought I was going to wreck.
Go with a 4 inch body lift
I've got an ARC welder now.
Pat

· Banned
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Patrick Schmidt)

Well, as it stands, the springs are loose in regards to the dampers. IE, when I lift the car, I can move the springs around by hand. So I think I have a little room to work with. As I said, I'm not trying to go monster-truck style with this, more like WRC-style.
So I'm looking at a lift of about 1-1.5" over where it sits right now. I'm a bit more adventurous in the snow than most, and the added ground clearance will help.

· Registered
12,679 Posts
Re: (Phobia)

Diesel springs in front and any rear spring provided that you raise the rear perches to maximum height.
What springs do you have now? If they're loose when you raise the car, I wouldn't think they're OE so you could also try a set of OE springs to raise it back to stock height.
If all that fails, Autozone sells "coil spring helpers" that are essentially blocks of aluminium that bolt into the coil spring to give a fixed amount of lift (think about jamming a bolt into the spring itself to keep it from sagging). Don't know how that would affect handling however.

· Banned
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (mgyip)

Quote, originally posted by mgyip »
What springs do you have now? If they're loose when you raise the car, I wouldn't think they're OE so you could also try a set of OE springs to raise it back to stock height.

SRS Real Street. 200fr/120rr

Quote »
If all that fails, Autozone sells "coil spring helpers" that are essentially blocks of aluminium that bolt into the coil spring to give a fixed amount of lift (think about jamming a bolt into the spring itself to keep it from sagging). Don't know how that would affect handling however.

That was another thing I had thought about. This is only a temporary solution, and commuting between Tyson's and Crystal City doesn't really leave me with anywhere to drive "enthusiastically."

· Registered
1,353 Posts

I have a lifted S10 Blazer(iif that helps my memory)
, IIRC you just need bigger springs on some cars

· Registered
12,679 Posts
Re: (Phobia)

Quote, originally posted by Phobia »
SRS Real Street. 200fr/120rr

OK - then get your hands on a set of OE springs - that'll raise the height by 3/4" - 1" (IIRC SRS Real Street drops the car only an inch). Check the rates to see if the Eco Diesel fronts have a higher rate than the 16v Jetta springs.

· Registered
1,952 Posts

what about the old hockey puck trick?
iirc you drill the center of the puck out then place it between your strut bearing and shock tower gives you a inch

I was thinking about doing this a while ago
you also might try and get a set of springs made to fit some cheap ass coil overs and then you can just jack it up as high as you want

· Registered
1,952 Posts

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=373275

"LOL, man, I'm famous A year later and my legacy lives on!!
What Rob said was correct, you drill a hole through the puck and use it as a shim to being the rear end up. Works well and it's virtually free.
What I'd reccomend however are cargo springs. I have them in there now, they actually make the back stand higher than the front by 3/4 ich or so...enough to notice, but not enough to look goofy. The brand I have is Merritor, they're progressive load coils, and cost me CDN$100 taxes in.
Though the puck has a cool DIY factor (especially at GTG's ), I would go the spring route. The progressive coils are stiffer, and when you load the back end down they don't give up. We load 250 lb generators in there from time to time, and the car sits pretty much level...ride quality is great.
IM or email me for more info "

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.